MINI Cooper Forum banner

Just introducing myself

768 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  NigelK 
#1 ·
Hi I'm writing this thread in desperation.i live in London and own a Bmw 335i,so decided to get around so I bought a 2008 cooper s with the dreaded n14 engine.since ownership of 11 weeks I've had it decoked while in the garage having that done the tensioner went bending the valves had no choice than to get that fixed. Got the car back within two weeks heard a funny noise,the car went back to the garage was told the 2or3 of the tappets were soft I was advised to change all which I've done,to now discover from a cold start it sounds very tappy till it warms up but it runs lumpy the mechanic says the hydraulic lifters are not pressurising and is lost to what to do next.The only reason I'm hanging in there is because I really do enjoy the drive it gives when it's good.what I want to know is now I've done the tensioner I'm believing the new one was upgraded so should I not have to worry about that again or should I?.Also is there any other issues.Are all cooper s r56 N14's bad

#5 ·
Sorry to hear your woes Michael. 2008 car - yikes sooo close to getting a Gen1, that tends to work. Last few in 2006. I'm with Sean. Probably not helpful, but a Gen1 R53 is a better bet. For buzzing around London, as you've got a big Beemer for longer journeys, I think a straight Cooper would be very adequate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.