MINI Cooper Forum banner

New member, old guy

2K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  Milpol 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

As mentioned in the title, I'm soon going to be a Mini owner, and I'm an old guy (58). I've been learning about Minis; especially the Cooper S JCW cars and reading whatever I can find online. I've always been a bike guy (currently a 2008 Ducati S4Rs Tricolore), but wanted a fun car that will let me take my wife along on occasion.

I'm not the type to buy new, but I don't want a car that's been abused either. I also like the sound of the supercharger, which narrows my search considerably.

I've recently found two very different cars that caught my eye. One is a 2006 Cooper S JCW with the Checkmate package in Space Blue/silver. The other is a 2006 Cooper S JCW Competition Edition in Chili Red/white. Both are 6-speed standards and look to be well maintained.

The Checkmate has higher kms (168k vs 103k on the CE), but is a 1 owner creampuff that lives in a heated garage and never saw snow. It's also had all of it's service performed at the local BMW dealership.

I'm still waiting for more information on the CE to find out how many owners, service history, etc.

Soooo, to my first question...which car will bring a bigger smile on the back roads?

Next; what should I be asking the owners about service history/recalls?

Are there any known issues or weak parts on the cars that may need a second look?

Finally; are there any other things I should be considering when buying a Mini?

Thanks in advance,

Franco58

See less See more
#2 ·
Modmini on YouTube has great videos on the R53 Mini (and R50), especially if your DIY capable and cover the main points in what to look for on a pre purchase.
Also, get the VIN #'s and have a Mini dealership pull the workshop records for any repairs and recall work done on the vehicles, a stamped service history will not give you the workshop history !

If you can, have a look under the car for obvious oil leaks.

Once you purchase one, consider the following:

Flush the brake fluids.
Coolant.
Engine Oil.
Gearbox Oil (filled for life is a fallacy).
Look for rust under the bottom of the door seals (lift the rubber).
Same for the tailgate seal.
Check for water ingress in the battery compartment (in the boot).
Power steering pumps are a fail point in earlier models more than the later ones and are obvious when failed (drives like a lorry when you turn the wheel).
Power steering pump whine is normal unless excessively loud.
OEM lower control arm bushing may need replacement on higher mileage cars, easy DIY with the right tools but the tools are expensive (but well worth it), can be replaced with Poly bushing if desired.
Every 50,000 km, change the Super Charger Oil (again, life time filled is a fallacy), worn and neglected SC PTO can leak from the rear seal and strip gears resulting in the water pump not working with obvious results.
GTT in the UK do SC rebuilds if you have an issue [click the link (GTT | GT Tuning)].
Minigearboxes in the UK are good for issues with the gearbox [click the link (mini gearbox, gear fix - Mini recon gearboxes | BMW MINI cheap gearboxes)].
If you elect to change the Lower Control Arm bushing, may as well do the inner and outer ball joints and tie rod ends at the same time as its an easy task to drop the whole front end out to work on.
Apparent sump gasket oil leak is often a crank position sensor oil seal O-ring that need replacing ( very cheap and simple DIY).
Car is a modular design so what may seem a lot of work to get to something is actually the easiest way to do the job (front end service mode as an example).
Get a Bentley manual, not cheap but worth its weight in gold.
iCarsoft i910 diagnostic tool is also a good investment for engine codes and saves money from a dealership (OBD tool ).
bmcables do a good OBD diagnostic cable with software ( INPA etc)
Delphi DS-150E also do a great OBD diagnostic tool with software.
IF you have a cold start rattle on higher mileage cars (last up to 30 seconds) its an indication the timing chain tensioner is sticking with age and needs replacing ASAP otherwise you will damage the timing chain guides, again an easy DIY to replace.
Well looked after, the Gen 1 Mini is a bullet proof car and recommend engine oil changes in excess of the dealership schedule as oil is cheap.
Thermostat housing may leak with age (can crack).
Expansion tank can leak at the moulding seam (as per anywhere, fluid stains from coolant leaks).

That's about all I can add but others on the forum will pick up on what I have missed.

I own a 2002 R50 and a 2006 R53 and do all my own DIY service and repairs, love both cars and have saved a small fortune even after buying specific service tool on DIY.

Good luck on your purchase and follow your gut feelings.

Forgot to add, 58 isn't old, its just 21 with postage and handling ;)

#4 ·
Modmini on YouTube has great videos on the R53 Mini (and R50), especially if your DIY capable and cover the main points in what to look for on a pre purchase.
Also, get the VIN #'s and have a Mini dealership pull the workshop records for any repairs and recall work done on the vehicles, a stamped service history will not give you the workshop history !

If you can, have a look under the car for obvious oil leaks.

Once you purchase one, consider the following:

Flush the brake fluids.
Coolant.
Engine Oil.
Gearbox Oil (filled for life is a fallacy).
Look for rust under the bottom of the door seals (lift the rubber).
Same for the tailgate seal.
Check for water ingress in the battery compartment (in the boot).
Power steering pumps are a fail point in earlier models more than the later ones and are obvious when failed (drives like a lorry when you turn the wheel).
Power steering pump whine is normal unless excessively loud.
OEM lower control arm bushing may need replacement on higher mileage cars, easy DIY with the right tools but the tools are expensive (but well worth it), can be replaced with Poly bushing if desired.
Every 50,000 km, change the Super Charger Oil (again, life time filled is a fallacy), worn and neglected SC PTO can leak from the rear seal and strip gears resulting in the water pump not working with obvious results.
GTT in the UK do SC rebuilds if you have an issue .
Minigearboxes in the UK are good for issues with the gearbox. If you elect to change the Lower Control Arm bushing, may as well do the inner and outer ball joints and tie rod ends at the same time as its an easy task to drop the whole front end out to work on.
Apparent sump gasket oil leak is often a crank position sensor oil seal O-ring that need replacing ( very cheap and simple DIY).
Car is a modular design so what may seem a lot of work to get to something is actually the easiest way to do the job (front end service mode as an example).
Get a Bentley manual, not cheap but worth its weight in gold.
iCarsoft i910 diagnostic tool is also a good investment for engine codes and saves money from a dealership (OBD tool ).
bmcables do a good OBD diagnostic cable with software ( INPA etc)
Delphi DS-150E also do a great OBD diagnostic tool with software.
IF you have a cold start rattle on higher mileage cars (last up to 30 seconds) its an indication the timing chain tensioner is sticking with age and needs replacing ASAP otherwise you will damage the timing chain guides, again an easy DIY to replace.
Well looked after, the Gen 1 Mini is a bullet proof car and recommend engine oil changes in excess of the dealership schedule as oil is cheap.
Thermostat housing may leak with age (can crack).
Expansion tank can leak at the moulding seam (as per anywhere, fluid stains from coolant leaks).

That's about all I can add but others on the forum will pick up on what I have missed.

I own a 2002 R50 and a 2006 R53 and do all my own DIY service and repairs, love both cars and have saved a small fortune even after buying specific service tool on DIY.

Good luck on your purchase and follow your gut feelings.

Forgot to add, 58 isn't old, its just 21 with postage and handling ;)
Wow, thanks Milpol; this is fantastic!

I've printed your notes and will take them with me when I examine the cars. I received a note from the owner of the Checkmate with a copy of a recall letter for an air bag sensor (I suspect after a rough translate, since the letter is in French). It also has the vehicle VIN on it, so I will contact my closest MINI dealer tomorrow to check the service records.

I've seen a few of Modmini's videos and saved a link for future reference. Fantastic materials! I've saved the links you supplied as well. I hope I can find similar service in Canada, but if not, these people would be the next stop.

I've read about some items that should be checked (mushrooming strut towers, expansion tank leaks, and various oil leaks) but you also mentioned a lot more things to check as well! :cool:
I had a Bentley manual for my 1987 BMW 325 iS when I owned it and as you said; it was money well-spent.
I'll also plan to invest in an OBD tool as well. I'm not sure if I can track down the one you mentioned here in Canada, but I'm sure I can order one online.

Thanks again for your notes, Milpol (including your age-related one :)) I'll post more when I have an update.

Cheers,
Franco58

#3 ·
If a main dealer has done all the servicing there are probably a load of things that someone who knows these cars would have got done/done themselves if capable. Their service intervals for oil changes are too long. Quite a few threads/posts along these lines. Example: gearbox oil is 'for life'. If you want a short life, it is.

#5 ·
Thanks very much, NigelK!

I will also ask the owner(s) about oil change intervals for the engine and gearbox. My impression of the Checkmate owner so far is that his car received regular service along with any recommended additional service through his dealership, but I don't think he's a DIY type.

Regardless of which car I buy, I will definitely ensure that all fluids are refreshed when I get it home! Both cars I'm looking at are roughly an 8 hours drive from home (not many owners willing to sell locally!), so any information I can take along will make for a more informed purchase decision.

Thanks again, and I appreciate your comments!

Cheers,

Franco58

#8 ·
One of my towers is slightly distorted (100k mile 2005 car). And next I'm getting the fuel filter changed, and the top mounts - one is cracking and you can see the strut is standing higher that side - and the front lower arm rear bushes with the Powerflex jobbies - when you tighten the wheel nuts you can feel/see it all moving.

Done the gearbox with Redline MTL recently. Done the brake fluid and put on braided hoses. It now 'rolls' even on a tiny slope so the pads are properly releasing. The old hoses were horrible. Looking them over, I think the banjo unions had got gunged up and weren't allowing the fluid to back off fully.
Wow that is a long trek to look at a car. Couldn't do that in the teeny UK even if you wanted to. Good luck with it.

#10 ·
List what you don't understand and we can explain it so you can learn :) , that way you can look after your own Mini and from your forum name one assumes your female and wouldn't it be nice to know what is what and when a male mechanic is feeding you a line about repair, you can understand and make an informed decision.

#12 ·
One of my feisty daughters runs her own car. She's not interested in how it works. So here is how we work it::wink::
1) When there's an issue with it she rings me and explains the sypmtoms
2) Takes it to a garage/mechanic
3) He gives her the speel as to what needs fixing, probably much shaking of head, sucking air thru teeth, large numbers of $$ mentioned
4) She rings me and takes me thru the speel
5) I extract the bull and tell her exactly her reply speel and script
6) She goes back, now informed, and politely explains what will and won't be done
Rip-offs avoided, mechanic/garage usually a bit stunned, job done, all happy. And next time they treat her with a lot more respect and don't try and take advantage.

Gearboxes, nasty messy things lurking in there somewhere.

#14 ·
Thanks minione2002! I'm not sure we have Redline products available in our part of the world, but I'll definitely check it out! So...if MINI doesn't have the transmission, supercharger, fuel filter, etc., on a maintenance list...are the fill/drain plugs sealed?

BTW, I received a lot of photos from the owner of the JCW Checkmate; both top and underside. it looks to be in remarkable condition for the year! I asked about the strut towers and he said the car has no damage to them. He also included high resolution photos of both sides.

Thanks very much to all for your input; it is all greatly appreciated!

Attachments

#18 ·
Hmmm, I haven't had much luck finding Redline MTF locally (so far) I do have one or two more places to try though. I may be able to find a supplier willing to send me Redline by freight if necessary.

Does anyone have any experience with Royal Purple MTF?

Also, do you have any recommendations for the supercharger oil? I've seen a kit advertised in the UK (eBay), but I haven't seen anything else.

Thanks,::smile::

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.