MINI Cooper Forum banner

Did you replace your runflats with non-runflats?

• Yes i replaced my runflats with non-runflats

Votes: 52 67.5%
  • No, i replaced them with runflats

Votes: 25 32.5%

Did you replace with Runflats or Non-runflats?

8K views 36 replies 22 participants last post by  S33BBY 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Just a poll that interested me a little :)

Was wondering how many of you replaced your standard runflats with non-runflats, or just got new runflats when the time to replace was due ;)

All the best,

-David

#13 ·
Hi Chilli

DO you mean that these tyres ride like normal tyres..improving the ride experience in the car? I will soon have to replace my tyres and am not too sure what to go for - RFs or Non-RFs... hmm..

If only they could make RFs which were comfortable on the road!

#4 ·
Non Run Flats

I had 195/55 Goodyear run flats on 16" rims. They lasted well but were noisy and harsh. Changed them for Yokohama V102's - 205/50 x 16. These are exceptional in wet weather and with an extra 5 psi work well on track days. The only down side is when the temperature gets below 14 degrees C the car darts over small bumps at low speeds. This may be the compound or squeezing 205/50 tyres onto 6" rims. My next choice will probably be 195/55 Michelin Pilot Sports. If you do ditch the run flatsdon't forget to buy the MINI Mobility kit.

#5 ·
I have Goodyear conventional winter tyres and Goodyear runflats (factory provided) for the summer. Car feels much nicer to drive in the winter, so I'm just waiting for my summer tryes to wear out before replacing with non-runflats.

I wonder if BMW MINI might pay any attention to the results of this little poll? It kinda makes one question their entire runflat strategy.....

#9 ·
Hi I am thinking of replacing the run-flats on my MCS, but I don't know anything about tyres etc. Are there run-flats which offer a more comfortable ride? Off the top of my head I cant remember what tyres my car has, but they sit on 16" S-Lites.

Or is it better to ditch the run-flats and go for convential tyres? If so - can anyone offer any advice on where to get suitable tyres. I am based near Heathrow. Kwik-Fit any good?!

thanks people!

#10 ·
I know that others say the ride is massively improved with non-runflats, but I like the peace of mind with runflats ;)

Just yesterday we were out, thankfully not too far from home, when one of the back tyres went and at least we were able to drive (albeit slowly) the 12 miles or so back home rather than being stuck on the side of the road :(

I've ordered two new tyres from mytyres.co.uk on the recommendation of a couple of people on here, they were certainly cheaper than my local fitters :)

#20 ·
I replaced the Dunlop SP9000s that originally came on the car with SP01s recently. I believe they're the next generation of Dunlop runflats.

I'm finding them significantly better than the SP9000s - although I can only really compare worn SP9000s against new SP01s. Certainly seem smoother and noticably less road noise.

R

#23 ·
Runflats vs. non-runflats - Pressure monitor

Hi Guys,

I have a cooper 03, with Pirelli run flat tyres, they all need replacing soon and Im really tempted to replace them with standard tyres, a couple of questions, 1) will the tyre pressure monitor need to be turned off or taken out of each wheel? 2) Will this customisation of the car affect my insurance etc?

Looking forward to hearing from someone about this!

Cheers :D

#27 ·
Hi all,

I'm due to replace my standard fit pirellis and have been looking at the dunlop sp9000 after what's been said on this topic. I've searched on mytyres and there are 2 sorts of sp9000, ZR17's and R17's. What's the difference? ZR17's are about 15 quid cheaper.

Cheers

#28 ·
I see 205/45 ZR17 88W RF for £75.20 and 205/45 R17 88V XL for £96.80. The "Z" prior to "R17" in the first tire indicates it has a speed rating in excess of 149 MPH ... in this case 168 MPH as indicated by the "W" following the "88". The second tire has a speed rating of 149 MPH as indicated by the "V" following the "88".

Neither of these tires are run flats.

#33 ·
I did one track event on runflats, took them off and threw them away with 90% tread left.

With runflats, I hated my mini GP. With michelin PS2s, I love it.
The difference is night and day.

Get a tire repair kit (slime or plug), and think about how many times in your life you have actually had a flat and how many of those flats could have been repaired with a plug. I'm 46 and I've only had one flat that couldn't have been repaired with a plug. In comparison, I've had various cars flatbedded for a number of reasons: exploded radiators (2), exploded power steering (1), failed coils (1), failed alternator (1), failed power steering hose (3), failed rod bearing (1). I don't think this is all. I've had more flats than any other single problem, but flats are in the minority, and flats that I couldn't have fixed with a plug kit or slime are less than 1/10th.

Run flats are loud, uncomfortable, expensive, dangerous hockey pucks. I can't imagine why a sane thinking person would use them. IMHO Of course.

#35 ·
Run Flats - Get rid

Could not agree more.

I have had my Cooper S for nearly 2 years now. They came with the Dunlop sp9000 fitted. At the time, as I had no other tyre to compare them to I thought they were OK. Yes they were hard and the grip in the wet wasn't the best but I thought the ride quality etc was more to do with the suspension set up than the actual tyres.

How wrong was I. Changed the tyres last month to 4 Vredstein Ultracs and I cannot believe I have waited nearly 2 years before I got rid of the runflats. What a load of **** in comparison. Not just the ride quality, which If any one says is not noticeable, they are lying. The whole experience is quieter, smoother and more relaxed. The car now grips like I always thought it should and I can even get the power down from a standing start without the drama I used to have from the dunlops.
I can only see ONE reason for keeping the runflats and thats the security they provide, but like the quote above says you are more likely to be stranded in your mini in the middle of nowhere with something else wrong.

There really is that much difference between the two and unless you have tried you will have no idea.

On a final point if anyone wants my 2 rear dunlops they are for sale. There is still 7 mm of tread on them as my car has only done 9000 miles. PM me if you are interested.

And on another point if anyone need a good fitter in the Lancashire area let me know.

Steve.

#36 ·
Just changed from Goodyear runflats on 16" 5 spokes to non runflats on 17" S spokes and what a difference! I dont do track days so not interested in super grippy and more interested in general wear and price. After much ringing around and internet searches i went for 205/45/17 Federal SS 595, £225 full set fitted:D. They have a rim protector and directional tread and seem to me to be more than up for the job! No rumbling road noise, a lot softer enjoyable ride and a lot less prone to pulling badly to road camber, all in all, well chuffed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.