Runflats VS Normal Tyres - Page 2 - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Wheels, Tyres & Brakes
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
For (almost) all things alloy, steel and rubber, plus upgrading your MINI's stopping ability

Sponsored by:

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New tyres - is this normal ? Mid Life Mini Wheels, Tyres & Brakes 5 Jul 1st, 2013 07:10 PM
Runflats,bigger 215/45/17 and cheaper tyres. andy1acars Wheels, Tyres & Brakes 15 May 3rd, 2013 01:45 PM
Tyres Coopers2004 General Discussion 19 Feb 20th, 2013 05:58 PM
Run flats? Or normal? Help please! Gb1979 Wheels, Tyres & Brakes 8 Oct 26th, 2012 12:00 AM
Replacing runflats with Non-runflats Teddy Boy Wheels, Tyres & Brakes 4 Sep 28th, 2012 06:22 PM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 05:35 PM
3 JWL

Local Time: 02:22 PM
England Male View jlove's Laser Blue & White 2nd Gen MINI John Cooper Works Profile View jlove's Classified Ads
Quote: Originally Posted by batou (original)
Against Runflats
6. You can repair some puntures on normal tyres rather having to bin the whole tyre.

I have had two punctures on run-flats repaired professionally, no problems; 14 each time.

Pirelli r/f are awful - they tram-line with only medium wear, similar to Pirelli non r/f high-performance tyres, though. I've changed to Goodyear r/f and they are much better. I'm just too lazy to change to non r/f now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 25th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Fen
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 02:22 AM
New Zealand Male View Fen's Dark Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
I don't think I've read a single post by anyone who has actually switched from runflats to conventional tyres saying anything other than it's a massive improvement, and I haven't heard anyone say they have switched back to runflats. What does that tell you?

Worst case and you get a blow-out that destroys the tyre then with no spare you need recovery - regardless of the type. Anything smaller and you can temporarily repair a conventional tyre with a can of tyre weld. In most cases if you get a puncture in a performance tyre you should not use it again - that being the case you CAN drive (slowly) on a conventional tyre that is flat, and it will be cheaper to replace than a runflat.

I've only had one puncture bad enough to go flat quickly in my most recent half-million miles of driving and it was a motorway blow out in an RS6 which has no spare and conventional tyres from the factory. I carry an AA card so it was not an issue; I was recovered to the hotel I was staying in and drove on the flat to the Audi dealer in the morning.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 07:23 PM
MiNi2 dEmOn

United Kingdom Male View super c00per's Electric Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
I've been ringing around today for tyre prices and one guy told me that im better of staying with the original size 205/45/17 as this then wont effect me engine and gearbox as changing the size of the tyre may damage these things...is this true?

I now really dont know what size to go for??
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Fen
MINI2 Regular

What you should remember is that most tyre fitters are like the missing link - their knuckles drag the floor as they walk. This guy is hardly Einstein, clearly.

It is not possible for a minor change in tyre size to damage the engine or the gearbox.

To be fair it's generally better to stick with the same width and apect ratio when you change tyres but keep the same rim, but although the 205 part of the size is supposed to mean than the tread is 205mm wide there is quite a variance beween the actual width of "205" tyres by diferent manufacturers and as I understand it runflats tend to be on the generous side. Additionally the runflats have super-stiff side walls so going lower profile with conventional tyres is a good idea as you will still get a little more compliance. That is the reason that many people go with 215 in a lower aspect ratio as it more closely matches the width and sidewall stiffness of the runflat. The overall diameter is not massively different and my speedo reads reasonably accurately with 215/40 17s.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 09:43 PM
JcwMiniAdventures

United Kingdom Female View mini33's Classified Ads
Sorry to interupt your debate her on my thread but i started the thread to debate the runflat tyres vs the normal tyre not differnt rims sizes & what that effects as i am not intending to change my rims or the tyres size if i have to but only weather to dump the 17inch runflats & get a variant of 17inch normal tyre

Isn't this a side track of my thread or am i reading the replys incorrectly

Thanks
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 09:45 PM
MiNi2 dEmOn

United Kingdom Male View super c00per's Electric Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
so you would recommend the 40's over the 45's then?

after i've sorted that problem im now not sure which manufacturer to go with?????
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 09:52 PM
MiNi2 dEmOn

Quote: Originally Posted by mini33 (original)
Sorry to interupt your debate her on my thread but i started the thread to debate the runflat tyres vs the normal tyre not differnt rims sizes & what that effects as i am not intending to change my rims or the tyres size if i have to but only weather to dump the 17inch runflats & get a variant of 17inch normal tyre

Thanks

Mate its a public forum and you must expect other people to ask other questions relating to your topic. If you read 'YOUR' thread properly then you will see that this is not about changing rim sizes, but its what tyre do you go to after having runflats and going to a conventional tyre!

So, as many people have voiced their opinions on this it may help YOU to chose your conventional tyre after your runflats!

Please put punctuation into your comments, as this makes it easier to read!
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Fen
MINI2 Regular

You're reading the replies incorrectly. What we're discussing is the size of conventional tyre you'd replace the 205/45 17 runflat with on the same rim which is an important aspect of the original topic I think.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 03:22 PM
United Kingdom Male View barneybear's Black-Eye Purple & Silver 1st Gen MINI One Profile
Well mate, or may i say fellow mini driver, [mini BMW not classic] well sir,i changed my runflats [still got them in garage on wheels] bought a pair for fronts runflats & the air keeped going low in one, found a strew in one,So i bought 4 new alloy wheels with normal tyres witch you pump up, Well the braking is better , nice ride, check pressures once a week, find them great, BUT i have in the back of my mind, wot happens if i get a flat,well bought some gear out of halfords to repair a flat, well touch my head! yes its wood! i have not had a flat yet, well pleased with non runflats, but my mini dealer says the mini is meant for runflats, i said thatsb------, if i had the 15 inch wheels from new i would have had a spare tyre, dont take no notice of mini dealers.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Turbo Schmurbo...

United Kingdom Male View batou's Dark Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View batou's Classified Ads

Thanks

The guy's post above this one on the other page raises a very important point!!! Your not changing the rim but you have to think about different tyre sizes. For example goodyear don't do eagles in 205/45/R17....

When talking fails, it's time for violence. ~ batou.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 09:41 PM
JcwMiniAdventures

Question Still Confused

Sorry to drown on but i still not a 100% convinced about this debate

I've been into kwick fitt to get a tyre replaced with my mum for hers & so far been very impressed with the service so thought i would see what they said

As usual i got the mini is not desinged for no runflats & that its not recommended you change as the suppension it not designed for non rf & they gave a supposed real life story that a mini owner did this & its f*****d the suspension, rim etc

I have asked many of my fellow mini owners & they have all said they want non rf even the only other cooper s fellow owner told me he was offered the choice as when he purchased his mini it had non rf but he chose to have rf (or persuaded to have rf) but wants non rf know

Also the price i was quoted nearlly gave me a hearattack 460 for 4 b.new rf (what!!!)

So i think this has finally made my mind up but thought i would see what you all thought

Thanks
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Fen
MINI2 Regular

It simply isn't possible to damage your suspension, brakes, engine, gearbox or anything else by switching to a tyre that is a similar size but non runflat. Anybody who says different I'd be prepared to bet has a vested interest in keeping you on runflats (as in they have some to sell you) or they themselves have runflats and are trying to justify their decision to have them.

There is a slight possibility that you might hit a pothole and damage the rim with a conventional tyre where the extra sidewall rigidity of the runflat might save the wheel, but it would have to be a hard enough hit that you would probably knock the tracking out at the very least regardless of tyre.

Regardless of tyre construction impact with kerbs, potholes, debris on the road etc. can cause damage to your car, but I don't see other than in the case of the wheel rim how the type of tyre you have fitted would make any difference.

In normal use it's utterly laughable to suggest that swtiching to a lighter tyre will cause damage as every component; suspension, brakes, engine, gearbox and chassis will get an EASIER time through having less unsprung weight.

As I said above the average tyre fitter doesn't have two braincells to rub together. If they weren't thick then they'd train to be a proper mechanic. How much training do you think they get? I'd guess a couple of hours on how to use the tyre fitting and wheel balancing machines. Just because they have a filthy pair of overalls with Kwik Fit or National or ATS or whatever on doesn't mean they know anything about anything, including car suspension. They have a book that says Minis have runflats therefore they say that's what you have to replace Mini tyres with. I once had to sign a disclaimer at Kwik Fit to say that I accepted responsibility if fitting new tyres to the rear only of my BMW "destroyed" the ECU by upsetting the "ABS" (I assume they meant DSC and quite how even if the system detected a greater than acceptable roatation speed front to rear it would destroy the entire ECU is beyond me).

Tesco sell TVs and computers - would you expect the checkout operator to be the best source of knowledge when it comes to setting them up?

Like many people I have switched to proper tyres on my MCS. I knew I was going to do it before I bought the car and there is not a chance I'd ever go back. That said I don't actually mind if you or anyone else chooses to do the same or not. I'm happy to offer my experience and I confirm the only downside to conventional tyres is that you lose the dubious ability to drive on a flat. For that "benefit" you pay extra and put up with poorer handling, acceleration, braking and ride. Some of those are safety impacting areas that runflats adversely effect, not to mention the possibly safety implications of someone believing it's OK to keep driving normally with a puncture as they have runflats. I'd ban the things if it were up to me.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fen For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 02:50 PM
off out....
Send a message via MSN to laura f

Local Time: 03:22 PM
United Kingdom Female View laura f's Classified Ads
Sorry to drown on but i still not a 100% convinced about this debate

I've been into kwick fitt to get a tyre replaced with my mum for hers & so far been very impressed with the service so thought i would see what they said

As usual i got the mini is not desinged for no runflats & that its not recommended you change as the suppension it not designed for non rf & they gave a supposed real life story that a mini owner did this & its f*****d the suspension, rim etc

I have asked many of my fellow mini owners & they have all said they want non rf even the only other cooper s fellow owner told me he was offered the choice as when he purchased his mini it had non rf but he chose to have rf (or persuaded to have rf) but wants non rf know

Also the price i was quoted nearlly gave me a hearattack 460 for 4 b.new rf (what!!!)

So i think this has finally made my mind up but thought i would see what you all thought

Thanks

Not all tyre places are the same even different branches will tell you different things......

It's bobbins, the MINI is perfectly happy on non-runflats, we're had a fair few MINI's, both 1st and 2nd Gen's and all have been run on non-runflats and runflats.

If MINI's weren't designed to ride on non-runflats why do some of them come with non-runflats from the factory (our cooper and one had them)?
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 04:52 PM
JcwMiniAdventures

Fen

You have done it again, another great reply thats very useful, your help is really valuable

Thats what my thoughts exactly i thought they were taking me for a ride but thought i would see if my thoughts were valid

I like the tesco point - its completly true

All your points are very valid & very usefull

Also made me chuckle

Thanks & keeping the great advice coming

Best wishes
Thanks for this post from:
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 01:51 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Thanks

dont be so moody dear. its all banterful chat widening the topic and giving Everyone a wider view on the whole subject. This is a forum after all not a personal consultation.
x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , ,