Runflats VS Normal Tyres - Page 3 - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Wheels, Tyres & Brakes
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
For (almost) all things alloy, steel and rubber, plus upgrading your MINI's stopping ability

Sponsored by:

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New tyres - is this normal ? Mid Life Mini Wheels, Tyres & Brakes 5 Jul 1st, 2013 06:10 PM
Runflats,bigger 215/45/17 and cheaper tyres. andy1acars Wheels, Tyres & Brakes 15 May 3rd, 2013 12:45 PM
Tyres Coopers2004 General Discussion 19 Feb 20th, 2013 04:58 PM
Run flats? Or normal? Help please! Gb1979 Wheels, Tyres & Brakes 8 Oct 25th, 2012 11:00 PM
Replacing runflats with Non-runflats Teddy Boy Wheels, Tyres & Brakes 4 Sep 28th, 2012 05:22 PM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 10:48 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 01:12 PM
United Kingdom
I looked in the manual for my Cooper D and there is even an illustration of Mini with a spare tyre slung underneath. Has anyone worked out how to do this ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 1st, 2008, 11:36 AM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 12:12 PM
United Kingdom View scillyisles's Lightning Blue & Body Color 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Diesel Profile
Quote: Originally Posted by shropshiremini (original)
I looked in the manual for my Cooper D and there is even an illustration of Mini with a spare tyre slung underneath. Has anyone worked out how to do this ?

You have to order this option from the factory - which is what I did. What it means is that when my OEM runflats have worn out I can change to standard tyres and not have a problem because I will have the space saver spare wheel if one of the normal tyres suffers a puncture.
Retrofitting this option might be difficult as the boot floor might be different due to the lowering mechanism that exists when you order this option.

There are some quite amusing comments on this thread which show a poor lack of knowledge on tyres in general particularly from tyre fitters.

Runflat tyres essentially have very stiff sidewalls which allow the tyre to still support the cars weight for a limited mileage when they are deflated. As such it means that compared to a normal tyre , their ride particularly in areas of bump absorbance and shock transmission to the suspension will be worse than a conventional tyre. This stiffness also limits the type of rubber compound that the tyre manufacturer can use to make runflats and this largely explains why runflats generally don't perform very well in wet conditions because the tyre manufacturer cannot use the softer grippier compounds on runflats. So the statements about damaging your suspension or engine or gearbox if you change from runflats to normal tyres is complete rubbish. In reality, due to the more compliant nature of conventional tyres, your suspension in particularly will suffer less wear and tear.

Most damage to alloy wheels on the Mini will come from kerbing - neither runflats or conventional tyres will protect you from this and both perform the same in this respect.

Hitting a pothole that is likely to damage your alloy is bad news all round. In this respect converntional tyres have the edge over runflats as it is cheaper to replace a damaged alloy than have to replace parts of the suspension and reallign afterwards.

Runflats have much the same repair characteristics as normal tyres in terms of what area of the tyre can be repaired and size of puncture hole repairable. The only added complication with runflats is that once you have run then for some distance when deflated then the sidewalls will have begun to deteriorate and consequently it is not really safe to have then repaired. This deterioration is why you cannot run runflats deflated all the time - typically the limit seems to be around a 100 miles or so depending on car weight/occupancy.
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
Now what have I done????

Australia Male View dalboyne's Classified Ads
Another Runflat vs Conventional Tyres Inquiry

My original Dunlop 195/55R16 runflats are just about worn out, so I'm looking to change. A local dealer has Goodyear Hydragrip 205/55R16V tyres for a very interesting price, so I'm considering going down the non-runflat route (my winter tyres on 15 inch rims are non-runflat anyway).

So, can anyone confirm that it's OK to put the slightly different profiles on the original rims?

Many thanks anyone

Ian

Not here much any more
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 06:16 PM
MINI2 Premium Member
Canned

Local Time: 05:12 AM
United States Male View MINIAC's Dark Silver & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View MINIAC's MINI Features Album View MINIAC's MINI Showcase Slideshow View MINIAC's Classified Ads
Quote: Originally Posted by dalboyne (original)
My original Dunlop 195/55R16 runflats are just about worn out, so I'm looking to change. A local dealer has Goodyear Hydragrip 205/55R16V tyres for a very interesting price, so I'm considering going down the non-runflat route (my winter tyres on 15 inch rims are non-runflat anyway).

So, can anyone confirm that it's OK to put the slightly different profiles on the original rims?

205/50-16 would be a better fitment.
Thanks for this post from:
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
Now what have I done????

Quote: Originally Posted by MINIAC (original)

Thanks MINIAC

I have had a quote from a local dealer for several runflat options (still waiting for his proposals for conventional tyres). But now I am intrigued to discover that his runflat quote includes 2 types of Goodyears (NCT 5 A & Excellence) and 2 different Dunlops (SP3000 DSST & SP 01) for all about the same price. Then there's a Pirelli Eufori and a Michelin Primacy - the Michelin the most expensive by about 20 per tyre.

So now I am really confused! Any more advice would be very much appreciated.

Ian

Not here much any more
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 11:33 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom View mrsherbie's Classified Ads
Great answer Fen, that pretty much sums it up

I am amazed so many people fall for that 'car being manufactured for runflats only 'speel that BMW put out!*! Further more I am amazed how many people are buying their runflats from their Mini dealer!!!!**!! DONT!
Buy tyres and get them fitted by a recommended experienced independant tyre garage, build up a good relationship with them and they will look after you.
On my first dealer service (4yrs ago now)I sat next to a lady who was paying out 170each for 3 Dunlop rf's! I had just paid 90+vat each for my Dunlops rf's that very same week. With hindsight I should have said something out loud.

Quote: Originally Posted by MINIAC (original)

After 5, yes 5! punctures in rf's in 3yrs, after discovering this (VERY helpful) forum, I went over to NON rf's, Yokohama 205/50/16. No problems, except that I REALLY WISH I'D BLOODYWELL DONE IT SOONER!!
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 12:44 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Well I just changed a pair of my run flats for normal Goodyear tyres in consultation with my BMW/Mini garage. The tyres were very competitively priced - the main cost was the 4-wheel alignment I had done to ensure even wear. I bought a Mini Mobility kit in the absence of a spare. When the other pair of r/fs is ready for replacement, I'll have the Goodyears fitted again. I'm already noticing a more comfortable ride. Contrary to others' experiences, the BMW garage was very helpful and certainly didn't try to force run flats on me.

J
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
Now what have I done????

Quote: Originally Posted by Jezebel (original)
Well I just changed a pair of my run flats for normal Goodyear tyres in consultation with my BMW/Mini garage. The tyres were very competitively priced - the main cost was the 4-wheel alignment I had done to ensure even wear. I bought a Mini Mobility kit in the absence of a spare. When the other pair of r/fs is ready for replacement, I'll have the Goodyears fitted again. I'm already noticing a more comfortable ride. Contrary to others' experiences, the BMW garage was very helpful and certainly didn't try to force run flats on me.

J

Thanks for this news! So this means you have a pair of runflats on the front, and new Goodyears on the back? And what Goodyear tyres did you buy? Are they NCT or Excellence by any chance?

Ian

PS Welcome to MINI2, and your first post!

Not here much any more
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
Totally Mental!

Northern Ireland Female View nylo's Space Blue & Silver 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View nylo's Classified Ads
I'm not sure it's at all a good idea to mix and match RFs and non RFs...
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
Now what have I done????

Quote: Originally Posted by nylo (original)
I'm not sure it's at all a good idea to mix and match RFs and non RFs...

I wondered about that too, but since it was done by a BMW/MINI main dealer............

Not here much any more
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 03:25 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom
Change to non runflats and carry a couple of bottles of tyre foam in the boot as has been said about 100 times before on this forum.

Apart from being able to go that extra 50miles when you get a puncture, which you can combat with the tyre foam anyway, run flats are infinitely worse.

Also you think you have a puncture every 200 miles anyway as the indicator just randomly blips away at you.

For info - i got Falcon 452's 18/35/225 at 80 quid a tyre from blackcircles.com

Job done
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 03:39 PM
MINI2 Premium Member
Canned

Local Time: 05:12 AM
United States Male View MINIAC's Dark Silver & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View MINIAC's MINI Features Album View MINIAC's MINI Showcase Slideshow View MINIAC's Classified Ads
Quote: Originally Posted by dalboyne (original)
So this means you have a pair of runflats on the front, and new Goodyears on the back? And what Goodyear tyres did you buy? Are they NCT or Excellence by any chance?

FAQ: What should be considered when replacing two tires?

Quote: Originally Posted by dalboyne
... his runflat quote includes 2 types of Goodyears (NCT 5 A & Excellence) and 2 different Dunlops (SP3000 DSST & SP 01) for all about the same price. Then there's a Pirelli Eufori and a Michelin Primacy.

The Tire Rack classifies these tires as follows:
Ultra High Performance Summer
Dunlop SP Sport 01 DSST
Dunlop SP Sport 3000A DSST
Pirelli Eufori@
Grand Touring Summer
Goodyear Eagle NCT5 EMT
Goodyear Excellence RunOnFlat
Michelin Primacy HP ZP
You might also might want to price the Kumho ECSTA SPT XRP (KU31) an Ultra High Performance Summer runflat available in 195/55-16.

Last edited by MINIAC; Apr 21st, 2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Derv? Nein Danke.

United Kingdom Male View coupe-se's British Racing Green & White 2nd Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
Can someone give me some FACTS (not an internet link to a vague site) why some on here say 'as fact' that you should not run a set of runflats on one axle and a set of normal tyres on the other???

It is common wisdom/knowledge that you should definately not mix tyre types on an axle, though many people do.
It is common wisdom/knowledge that the tyres on an axle should have identical wear and tread depths to ensure even braking and grip, tho many people will just replace one tyre if they suffer an irrepairable puncture.
It is common wisdom/knowledge that 'ideally' a car should be driven with identical tyre brands and types on all wheels as different tyres and brands have very different handling characteristics ................. yet most people including dealers will happily fit different sets of tyres on different axles.

Considering the completely different loading and stresses put on front tyres compared to rears why do some people on here consider mixing runflats and norm,al tyres a dreadfull sin?

Bear in mind I'm talking about the normal driving that 99% of us do day in day out, NOT the race car driving on and off the track that so many on here obsessively bleat on about.
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 04:48 PM
3 JWL

England Male View jlove's Laser Blue & White 2nd Gen MINI John Cooper Works Profile View jlove's Classified Ads
Coupe-SE, I'm with you there. As long as the tyres on one axle are the same make and age, in the same condition, I can't see why RFT, non-RFT or pink with green spots matter at all!

... and I'd never put the new ones on the front (unless they're really cheap and nasty and you're selling the car) with a Mini. Always cycle the rear to the front and put the new ones at the back, assuming they're of a similar quality. For handling, you want the maximum grip on the back, so that it does not try to overtake the front; under-steer is much easier to correct than over-steer! For plain common sense, you don't want 5-year old rubber on the back.
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Derv? Nein Danke.

United Kingdom Male View coupe-se's British Racing Green & White 2nd Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
It bothers me that people are stating as ABSOLUTE FACT certain things that are 'Desirable' at best.

There are so many 'do's and don'ts' for ultimate tyre performance if you drive on the limits, which is fine. For the majority of us that just drive normally mixing tyre types front to back is a perfectly fine practice.

For accurate information send off an email query to your tyre manufacturer of choice, its quite an interesting excercise and quite informative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , ,