Turning off brake warning light on R56 - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Wheels, Tyres & Brakes
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
For (almost) all things alloy, steel and rubber, plus upgrading your MINI's stopping ability

Sponsored by:

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brake pad warning light - how much life left in pads??? olly-w Maintenance & MINI Care 8 Feb 14th, 2014 04:24 PM
Brake light staying on shazab_rafiq First Generation Faults & Fixes 5 Apr 12th, 2013 02:59 PM
Warning light? Seeg Second Generation Faults & Fixes 1 Mar 11th, 2013 07:19 PM
Pls help re tyre pressure issue (+ warning light)... halesowenmum Wheels, Tyres & Brakes 8 Jan 25th, 2013 10:39 PM
BRAKE light alert Willmoore Second Generation Faults & Fixes 2 Jan 24th, 2013 09:31 PM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 08:54 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 09:12 AM
United Kingdom
Turning off brake warning light on R56

Hi all, I recently bought some new brake pads off Ebay. Once received i immediatly trotted off to my local mechanic to have them fitted (didnt fancy paying main dealer prices for a simple job!)
However when i happily returned to collect my car, my mechanic informed me that he had fitted the pads without issue, but the rear pads had no sensor wire attached, (why he fitted them rather than call me, i dont know!!!). I am now left in the position of having brand new fully working pads but with the brake pad warning light left on. Does anyone know how i can at least for the shot term, turn the warning light off. Cant afford to buy and fit another set straight away! Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 9th, 2008, 09:46 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
just fitted brake pads and want to know how to take the brake warning light out
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 12:43 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
did you change the sensor as well ? should be clipped in the top of the left brake pad.

I too have just changed mine. the old generation mini you just used to leave the ignition on for 30 seconds and it would reset - no luck tho with the new one. the resrt option of the ODC doesnt work either. I am thinking you will need a computer to plug into the car to reset - another company FORCING you to pay through the nose even if you want to do the change yourself.

Anyone else had any luck ?
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MMC Member
Send a message via MSN to DaFlake

Local Time: 05:12 AM
United States Male View DaFlake's Pure Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
Once the sensor is triggered it cannot be reused and the light cannot be extinguished without replacing the sensor. You can buy these from MINI Mania. Also I am pretty sure that it is the same setup as the 1st Gen and one the sensor is replaced the light will go out.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 10:08 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
i replaced the sensor, and as mentioned, it does not appear to be like the old gen, turning on the ignition and waiitng 30 seconds does NOT turn off the light, and the service reading says 0 miles left on brakes.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MMC Member

United States Male View DaFlake's Pure Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
Have you driven it around yet? On the first gen it takes a little driving for the system to reset. However, you are leading the way on this.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
SUCKIN DIESEL!!!!

Local Time: 10:12 AM
United Nations Male View ONED's Nightfire Red & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Diesel Profile
I have the same problem on my 06 320D - have replace the sensor, but can't get the light reset!
I was thinking out CooperD was gonna be the same too!

the old cars I think you had to turn on the ignition and hold your foot on the brake?
I've always done my own brakes on our old OneD and on my previous BM's

Old Feb 29th, 2008, 10:06 AM
MINI & other ½ both whine

United Kingdom Male
Quote: Originally Posted by The Saint Man (original)
Hi all, I recently bought some new brake pads off Ebay. Once received i immediatly trotted off to my local mechanic to have them fitted (didnt fancy paying main dealer prices for a simple job!)
However when i happily returned to collect my car, my mechanic informed me that he had fitted the pads without issue, but the rear pads had no sensor wire attached, (why he fitted them rather than call me, i dont know!!!). I am now left in the position of having brand new fully working pads but with the brake pad warning light left on. Does anyone know how i can at least for the shot term, turn the warning light off. Cant afford to buy and fit another set straight away! Cheers.

"The Saint Man" & future readers, In the old days the warning sensors were part of the pads hence two different type of pads for the same car (with sensors & without sensors), people used to opt for the without option as they were cheaper £££££ , once you fitted the ones without sensors and either unplugged the old sensors or cut them off the light used to be OK on some cars (no prob's until next time the pads are low you aren't warned )

Now the pads are all the same on most cars and they have replaceable sensors and as "DaFlake" pointed out if these have been activated and the warning light has come on they need replacing (sensors & pads), if you spot that the pads are low and change them before the light is activated you shouldn't need to replace the sensors.

If you go to an old-school mechanic (for want of a better word), he would have fitted the new pads without the sensor and either cut the sensor off or unplugged it and then connector and discarded it with the old pads, so your warning light wont go off no matter what you do until you get it checked & sorted out, you need to see if the sensor is actually there & either see if the garage still has the old pads (if it hasn't been cut & provided the light wasn't activated in the 1st place), or replace it with a new one, you may then have a chance of the light going out.

Quote: Originally Posted by john chapman (original)
just fitted brake pads and want to know how to take the brake warning light out

Quote: Originally Posted by DaFlake (original)
Once the sensor is triggered it cannot be reused and the light cannot be extinguished without replacing the sensor. You can buy these from MINI Mania. Also I am pretty sure that it is the same setup as the 1st Gen and one the sensor is replaced the light will go out.

"john chapman" & future readers, the same comment as above as for the "The Saint Man" & future readers, plus there is only you that will know how you have gone about changing them, what you have done, what you have replaced, providing everything is OK (replaced) , I would have thought the light would reset it's self (I may be wrong ).

I have more experience with the 1st Gen MINI, but I can't see MINI / BMW going back a step making the warning light needing diagnostics to turn off especially on brake pad warning lights / sensors etc... etc... (again I could be wrong )

Also as "DaFlake" says, once the lights have been activated they sometimes also need a little drive for them to go out (so the MINI can perform a check of it's own), In my experience this is normally after an ABS sensor change / fault (I may be wrong )

They (BMW / MINI) may have just changed the system to a sequence to turn the light off eg. press a button in a certain sequence to reset them, but these normally take a few years to come to light (kept secret) .

The users in question must have had the light's turned off by now, please enlighten us, so that we all know how it has to be done or how you got it done (light turned off).

Destined to live life £5 behind. Disclaimer Any advice given is my opinion only, if you decide to act on any advice / info I've given, it's at your own risk!
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
SUCKIN DIESEL!!!!

United Nations Male View ONED's Nightfire Red & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Diesel Profile
Quote: Originally Posted by Randall Raines (original)
providing everything is OK (replaced) , I would have thought the light would reset it's self (I may be wrong ).

I have more experience with the 1st Gen MINI, but I can't see MINI / BMW going back a step making the warning light needing diagnostics to turn off especially on brake pad warning lights / sensors etc... etc... (again I could be wrong )

Also as "DaFlake" says, once the lights have been activated they sometimes also need a little drive for them to go out (so the MINI can perform a check of it's own), In my experience this is normally after an ABS sensor change / fault (I may be wrong )

They (BMW / MINI) may have just changed the system to a sequence to turn the light off eg. press a button in a certain sequence to reset them, but these normally take a few years to come to light (kept secret) .

The users in question must have had the light's turned off by now, please enlighten us, so that we all know how it has to be done or how you got it done (light turned off).

Everything has been changed and is OK - the old reset proceedure will not work - and it will not reset itself.
I reckon there is two options: either plug in a service reset tool or there is a sequence to follow to do the reset!
I have tried all the service options on my thres series and cannot get it sorted.
incedentally all the menus etc are the exact same on the new BMW's and the R56!

Old Feb 29th, 2008, 10:57 AM
MINI & other ½ both whine

United Kingdom Male
Quote: Originally Posted by ONED (original)
Everything has been changed and is OK - the old reset proceedure will not work - and it will not reset itself.
I reckon there is two options: either plug in a service reset tool or there is a sequence to follow to do the reset!
I have tried all the service options on my thres series and cannot get it sorted.
incedentally all the menus etc are the exact same on the new BMW's and the R56!

Thanks! for that, I now know I may have scenarios in the future, I don't get to work on the newest models for at least 1 - 2 years (due to warranty & tlc), unless someone has a voided warranty or the vehicle has been accident damaged in some way, I can easily get access to a diagnostic machine though.

Another point is, when the reset machines are as easily available and as cheap £££££ as they are to get hold of, as they are now, then the Manufacturers do change the systems so that you have to go to them again, as I think has already been stated.

Destined to live life £5 behind. Disclaimer Any advice given is my opinion only, if you decide to act on any advice / info I've given, it's at your own risk!
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 07:10 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
I have driven about 1.5k miles on the new pads and sensor. It stil hasn't gone out. It is fairly obvious, unless we are all missing something, BMW are playing the monopoly, meaning you need to go to them regardless if you fit the brakes yourself or not. I am due an oil service next week, i will have a chat to the mechanics, see if i can wiggle a reset for free (as i bet they would normally charge £20!)

As said above, if this is the case, some clever spark will undoubtedly make a reset box - but for most people, it won't be worth purchasing as they wont keep their mini long enough to pay its self off.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 03:43 AM
MINI2 Regular
Send a message via ICQ to Kurtster Send a message via AIM to Kurtster Send a message via MSN to Kurtster Send a message via Yahoo to Kurtster

Local Time: 01:12 AM
United States Male View Kurtster's Indi Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View Kurtster's Classified Ads
Just had my brakes done today. Sure enough, the light is still on. Now I have to call the shop that put on my MiniMania Stage 2 brake kit and hope that they didn't discard the sensors that came with the kit.

However, from what I'm reading here, even if my mechanic installed the new sensors, there's no way to reset the light. SOMEONE out there must know how to do that.

/// The Kurtster ///
UNION JACK OWNERS CLUB GB-0032
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 07:42 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Bump! anyone come across any info on this? THere must be someone who knows out there!
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
SUCKIN DIESEL!!!!

HAve sussed it! ......will post the details later - watch this space!

Old Mar 17th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MMC Member

Do it up nicely and we'll post it in the FAQ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: