Turning off brake warning light on R56 - MINI Cooper Forum

Wheels, Tyres & Brakes
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
For (almost) all things alloy, steel and rubber, plus upgrading your MINI's stopping ability

Sponsored by:

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2008, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Local Time: 05:30 PM
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom
 
Turning off brake warning light on R56

Hi all, I recently bought some new brake pads off Ebay. Once received i immediatly trotted off to my local mechanic to have them fitted (didnt fancy paying main dealer prices for a simple job!)
However when i happily returned to collect my car, my mechanic informed me that he had fitted the pads without issue, but the rear pads had no sensor wire attached, (why he fitted them rather than call me, i dont know!!!). I am now left in the position of having brand new fully working pads but with the brake pad warning light left on. Does anyone know how i can at least for the shot term, turn the warning light off. Cant afford to buy and fit another set straight away! Cheers.
The Saint Man is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2008, 08:46 AM
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Local Time: 05:30 PM
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom
 
just fitted brake pads and want to know how to take the brake warning light out
john chapman is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2008, 11:43 AM
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Local Time: 05:30 PM
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom
 
did you change the sensor as well ? should be clipped in the top of the left brake pad.

I too have just changed mine. the old generation mini you just used to leave the ignition on for 30 seconds and it would reset - no luck tho with the new one. the resrt option of the ODC doesnt work either. I am thinking you will need a computer to plug into the car to reset - another company FORCING you to pay through the nose even if you want to do the change yourself.

Anyone else had any luck ?
extigy is offline  
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MMC Member
 
DaFlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Moving to Maryland!
Local Time: 01:30 PM
Posts: 14,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United States Male View DaFlake's Pure Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
       
Send a message via MSN to DaFlake
Once the sensor is triggered it cannot be reused and the light cannot be extinguished without replacing the sensor. You can buy these from MINI Mania. Also I am pretty sure that it is the same setup as the 1st Gen and one the sensor is replaced the light will go out.
DaFlake is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2008, 09:08 PM
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Local Time: 05:30 PM
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom
 
i replaced the sensor, and as mentioned, it does not appear to be like the old gen, turning on the ignition and waiitng 30 seconds does NOT turn off the light, and the service reading says 0 miles left on brakes.
extigy is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MMC Member
 
DaFlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Moving to Maryland!
Local Time: 01:30 PM
Posts: 14,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United States Male View DaFlake's Pure Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
       
Send a message via MSN to DaFlake
Have you driven it around yet? On the first gen it takes a little driving for the system to reset. However, you are leading the way on this.
DaFlake is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
SUCKIN DIESEL!!!!
 
ONED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Shopping at Lidl
Local Time: 06:30 PM
Posts: 7,669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Nations Male View ONED's Nightfire Red & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Diesel Profile
 
I have the same problem on my 06 320D - have replace the sensor, but can't get the light reset!
I was thinking out CooperD was gonna be the same too!

the old cars I think you had to turn on the ignition and hold your foot on the brake?
I've always done my own brakes on our old OneD and on my previous BM's

ONED is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 2008, 09:06 AM
MINI & other both whine
 
Randall Raines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Messin' with a MINI
Local Time: 05:30 PM
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint Man View Post
Hi all, I recently bought some new brake pads off Ebay. Once received i immediatly trotted off to my local mechanic to have them fitted (didnt fancy paying main dealer prices for a simple job!)
However when i happily returned to collect my car, my mechanic informed me that he had fitted the pads without issue, but the rear pads had no sensor wire attached, (why he fitted them rather than call me, i dont know!!!). I am now left in the position of having brand new fully working pads but with the brake pad warning light left on. Does anyone know how i can at least for the shot term, turn the warning light off. Cant afford to buy and fit another set straight away! Cheers.
"The Saint Man" & future readers, In the old days the warning sensors were part of the pads hence two different type of pads for the same car (with sensors & without sensors), people used to opt for the without option as they were cheaper , once you fitted the ones without sensors and either unplugged the old sensors or cut them off the light used to be OK on some cars (no prob's until next time the pads are low you aren't warned )

Now the pads are all the same on most cars and they have replaceable sensors and as "DaFlake" pointed out if these have been activated and the warning light has come on they need replacing (sensors & pads), if you spot that the pads are low and change them before the light is activated you shouldn't need to replace the sensors.

If you go to an old-school mechanic (for want of a better word), he would have fitted the new pads without the sensor and either cut the sensor off or unplugged it and then connector and discarded it with the old pads, so your warning light wont go off no matter what you do until you get it checked & sorted out, you need to see if the sensor is actually there & either see if the garage still has the old pads (if it hasn't been cut & provided the light wasn't activated in the 1st place), or replace it with a new one, you may then have a chance of the light going out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john chapman View Post
just fitted brake pads and want to know how to take the brake warning light out
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFlake View Post
Once the sensor is triggered it cannot be reused and the light cannot be extinguished without replacing the sensor. You can buy these from MINI Mania. Also I am pretty sure that it is the same setup as the 1st Gen and one the sensor is replaced the light will go out.
"john chapman" & future readers, the same comment as above as for the "The Saint Man" & future readers, plus there is only you that will know how you have gone about changing them, what you have done, what you have replaced, providing everything is OK (replaced) , I would have thought the light would reset it's self (I may be wrong ).

I have more experience with the 1st Gen MINI, but I can't see MINI / BMW going back a step making the warning light needing diagnostics to turn off especially on brake pad warning lights / sensors etc... etc... (again I could be wrong )

Also as "DaFlake" says, once the lights have been activated they sometimes also need a little drive for them to go out (so the MINI can perform a check of it's own), In my experience this is normally after an ABS sensor change / fault (I may be wrong )

They (BMW / MINI) may have just changed the system to a sequence to turn the light off eg. press a button in a certain sequence to reset them, but these normally take a few years to come to light (kept secret) .

The users in question must have had the light's turned off by now, please enlighten us, so that we all know how it has to be done or how you got it done (light turned off).

Destined to live life 5 behind. Disclaimer Any advice given is my opinion only, if you decide to act on any advice / info I've given, it's at your own risk!
Randall Raines is offline  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
SUCKIN DIESEL!!!!
 
ONED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Shopping at Lidl
Local Time: 06:30 PM
Posts: 7,669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Nations Male View ONED's Nightfire Red & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Diesel Profile
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Raines View Post
providing everything is OK (replaced) , I would have thought the light would reset it's self (I may be wrong ).

I have more experience with the 1st Gen MINI, but I can't see MINI / BMW going back a step making the warning light needing diagnostics to turn off especially on brake pad warning lights / sensors etc... etc... (again I could be wrong )

Also as "DaFlake" says, once the lights have been activated they sometimes also need a little drive for them to go out (so the MINI can perform a check of it's own), In my experience this is normally after an ABS sensor change / fault (I may be wrong )

They (BMW / MINI) may have just changed the system to a sequence to turn the light off eg. press a button in a certain sequence to reset them, but these normally take a few years to come to light (kept secret) .

The users in question must have had the light's turned off by now, please enlighten us, so that we all know how it has to be done or how you got it done (light turned off).
Everything has been changed and is OK - the old reset proceedure will not work - and it will not reset itself.
I reckon there is two options: either plug in a service reset tool or there is a sequence to follow to do the reset!
I have tried all the service options on my thres series and cannot get it sorted.
incedentally all the menus etc are the exact same on the new BMW's and the R56!

ONED is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 2008, 09:57 AM
MINI & other both whine
 
Randall Raines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Messin' with a MINI
Local Time: 05:30 PM
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONED View Post
Everything has been changed and is OK - the old reset proceedure will not work - and it will not reset itself.
I reckon there is two options: either plug in a service reset tool or there is a sequence to follow to do the reset!
I have tried all the service options on my thres series and cannot get it sorted.
incedentally all the menus etc are the exact same on the new BMW's and the R56!
Thanks! for that, I now know I may have scenarios in the future, I don't get to work on the newest models for at least 1 - 2 years (due to warranty & tlc), unless someone has a voided warranty or the vehicle has been accident damaged in some way, I can easily get access to a diagnostic machine though.

Another point is, when the reset machines are as easily available and as cheap as they are to get hold of, as they are now, then the Manufacturers do change the systems so that you have to go to them again, as I think has already been stated.

Destined to live life 5 behind. Disclaimer Any advice given is my opinion only, if you decide to act on any advice / info I've given, it's at your own risk!
Randall Raines is offline  
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 2008, 06:10 PM
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Local Time: 05:30 PM
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom
 
I have driven about 1.5k miles on the new pads and sensor. It stil hasn't gone out. It is fairly obvious, unless we are all missing something, BMW are playing the monopoly, meaning you need to go to them regardless if you fit the brakes yourself or not. I am due an oil service next week, i will have a chat to the mechanics, see if i can wiggle a reset for free (as i bet they would normally charge 20!)

As said above, if this is the case, some clever spark will undoubtedly make a reset box - but for most people, it won't be worth purchasing as they wont keep their mini long enough to pay its self off.
extigy is offline  
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2008, 02:43 AM
MINI2 Regular
 
Kurtster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Local Time: 09:30 AM
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United States Male View Kurtster's Indi Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View Kurtster's Classified Ads
 
Just had my brakes done today. Sure enough, the light is still on. Now I have to call the shop that put on my MiniMania Stage 2 brake kit and hope that they didn't discard the sensors that came with the kit.

However, from what I'm reading here, even if my mechanic installed the new sensors, there's no way to reset the light. SOMEONE out there must know how to do that.

/// The Kurtster ///
UNION JACK OWNERS CLUB GB-0032
Kurtster is offline  
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2008, 06:42 PM
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Local Time: 05:30 PM
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom
 
Bump! anyone come across any info on this? THere must be someone who knows out there!
extigy is offline  
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
SUCKIN DIESEL!!!!
 
ONED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Shopping at Lidl
Local Time: 06:30 PM
Posts: 7,669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Nations Male View ONED's Nightfire Red & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Diesel Profile
 


HAve sussed it! ......will post the details later - watch this space!

ONED is offline  
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MMC Member
 
DaFlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Moving to Maryland!
Local Time: 01:30 PM
Posts: 14,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United States Male View DaFlake's Pure Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
       
Send a message via MSN to DaFlake
Do it up nicely and we'll post it in the FAQ.
DaFlake is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply
Tags:


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brake pad warning light - how much life left in pads??? olly-w Maintenance & MINI Care 8 Feb 14th, 2014 03:24 PM
Brake light staying on shazab_rafiq First Generation Faults & Fixes 5 Apr 12th, 2013 01:59 PM
Warning light? Seeg Second Generation Faults & Fixes 1 Mar 11th, 2013 06:19 PM
Pls help re tyre pressure issue (+ warning light)... halesowenmum Wheels, Tyres & Brakes 8 Jan 25th, 2013 09:39 PM
BRAKE light alert Willmoore Second Generation Faults & Fixes 2 Jan 24th, 2013 08:31 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome