Brake Life - MINI Cooper Forum

Wheels, Tyres & Brakes
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
For (almost) all things alloy, steel and rubber, plus upgrading your MINI's stopping ability

Sponsored by:

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2010, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 05:07 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Australia Male View ThatsMe's Astro Black & Body Color 2nd Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Brake Life

Just wondering on average how many Km's is normal before replacement brake disc's are required?? Apprantly according to my dealer i will be needing new pads AND disc's in approx 1500km, thing is my car has only done 22000 and i dont brake hard at all.

When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2010, 12:44 PM
still learning

Local Time: 08:07 PM
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Scotland Male

really depends on your driving style, but if you are easy on the brakes then pads should last at least 30,000 mls.

under similar circumstances discs should last at least 40,000 mls, but age of car/corrosion can also reduce their life.

maybe your not as easy on the brakes as you think you are !!

Iain

Milpol likes this.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Crazy Canuck

Local Time: 04:07 PM

Canada Male

I had mine replaced in August. If memory serves me right, that would have been around the 78,000 km (48,750 miles). All four rotors and pads.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2010, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Australia Male View ThatsMe's Astro Black & Body Color 2nd Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Well i certainly would have thought they would last a lot longer then 22000 especially the rotors!! I have never had a car that i have had to replace the rotors (or pads for that matter) after 22000.

When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MINI One Seven

Local Time: 07:07 PM

United Kingdom Male View M.O.S's Pepper White & Body Color 1st Gen MINI One Profile

33.5k, original pads and discs on the front - 6mm left on pads.

Rears changed as the inside surface of one of the discs had deteriorated and I felt that it wasn't worth the risk

The Original MINI One Seven
Yorkshire MINI Register - PM for details
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2010, 11:44 AM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom View johnny6's Classified Ads

Changed the fronts at 40K KM and the rears at 50K KM if I remember rightly.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2010, 01:51 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 12:07 PM

United States

I don't understand the rotor replacement at 50k miles even. What's wrong with them?

Todd/TCE
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MMC Member

Local Time: 03:07 PM

United States Male View DaFlake's Pure Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Send a message via MSN to DaFlake
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd tce View Post
I don't understand the rotor replacement at 50k miles even. What's wrong with them?
Mine were worn under spec at 45K miles... The rest you already know about. (FWIW, those were some heavy miles that were put on when I lived in Germany)
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2010, 03:27 PM
MINI2 Regular

Wales Male View redlinepete's Classified Ads

BMW MINI COOPER S Drilled Brake Discs Front Rear & PADS on eBay (end time 09-Feb-10 20:34:08 GMT)

I put these on my S @ 26k...Bloody great...Check them out they come from Ireland next day

They also do drilled and grooved for the same price.

Last edited by redlinepete; Jan 14th, 2010 at 07:31 PM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2010, 02:10 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Scotland

It all depends on how the car has been driven / stored. I'm the third owner of a '06 MCS with 24k miles (less than 40'000km), the car failed it's first MOT (3 Year old inspection) due to excessive corrosion on one of the rear discs, the other rear disc was also corroded.

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2016, 01:44 PM

I had a service message on my car screen to check my rear pads and at the 11100 kms they changes both rear and front brakes.
It is true that I drive in very loaded traffic daily both ways average 45 kms per day. But is the 11100 kms normal as a life of new break pads??
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2016, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Interpreter please??
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 03:21 AM
My other car is a Mini

Local Time: 04:37 AM
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Australia Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by minione2002 View Post
Interpreter please??
IT SEEMS PRETTY OBVIOUS WHAT THIS PERSON IS ASKING. OK, their spelling and grammar might not be 100% (very few people can achieve this) but there is no need to be rude.

I have had the brake worn indicator on my 2007 Cooper S for 4500km. The pads are OK, but the disc is worn which has triggered the brake pads worn warning. I'm planning to change the discs, pads and wear sensor this coming weekend. Cheers.
Wayne6444 likes this.

"Where? Behind the rabbit?" "Nooo, it IS the rabbit"
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 10:30 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)

Australia Male

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMe View Post
Just wondering on average how many Km's is normal before replacement brake disc's are required?? Apprantly according to my dealer i will be needing new pads AND disc's in approx 1500km, thing is my car has only done 22000 and i dont brake hard at all.
Lots of variety in this question, What compound pads are used ? driving style ? were the pads bedded in to the disc rotor correctly (500 km's), were the disc's checked for size before new pads were installed ?

When you pull the wheel off, on the body of the disc hub is a size in mm showing the minimum acceptable width of the rotor surface (look for the marks MIN TH followed by a number).

This is easy to check and doesn't require expensive tools to be within a mm or two to give you an idea if the rotors require replacement.

Don't forget, it's no use fitting new pads if the disc is worn or will wear beyond its minimum width before the pads wear out.

This link shows a tool that will let you know how far your disc has worn before you install only pads, remember to take measurements at multiple points on the rotor from the outer edge, middle, inner and at various points around the disc.

FIT Auto Brake Disc Depth Gauge & Tyre Tread Depth Measuring Caliper 0~60mm | eBay

On a Gen 1 2006 R53, the minimum disc thickness for the Front is 20.4 mm , for the Rear, it is 8.4 mm. A Gen 1 2002 R50 is Identical. (ref source: BMW Mini TIS Manual Tech Specs) and as previously mentioned, the disc hubs are stamped with the MIN TH.

Standard discs are more than suitable for normal driving and don't forget to visually inspect both the inner and outer surface.

The reason (same for the clutch) that you bed brakes in is to allow a transfer of material from the pads to be transmitted to the disc to enable correct braking and this is done by gentle controlled braking (no harsh braking unless its an emergency) for up to 500 km before the process is complete.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2017, 11:26 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)

United Kingdom

My Clubman needed the OEM disks replaced at 30,000 miles.
Milpol likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.