Changing from run flats to standard tyres on Mini Cooper S - MINI Cooper Forum

Wheels, Tyres & Brakes
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
For (almost) all things alloy, steel and rubber, plus upgrading your MINI's stopping ability

Sponsored by:

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2010, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 06:57 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Changing from run flats to standard tyres on Mini Cooper S

Hi everyone,

I bought a 2003 registered Mini about 4 months ago (my first!) and I love the car. However, it came with Pirelli Eufori@ 205/45/17 run flats and I've just had a puncture....I naively didn't realise these can't be repaired! I've seen a lot of discussion around the pros and cons of runflats and I'm leaning towards changing all four tyres to standard tyres.

So the question is:
Could anyone recommend standard tyres (mid to high class) for the Cooper S? I'm not particularly attached to any brand. I tried a little to find out what standard tyres are being fitted to new (normal) Minis for a bit of guidance but no luck - so if anyone has recently bought a mini and can shed some light that would be helpful too?

Thanks a lot people!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Is over to the dark side

Local Time: 07:57 AM

United Kingdom Male View MACKIT's Classified Ads

I would take a look through the wheels and tyres section. There is a lot of debate on this subject and a particular tyre may jump out from reading through other's feedback in this section of the forum.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2010, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Thanks MACKIT. I'm new on here and thought I had a good look round but clearly not as I failed to check out the whole tyre thread!! Going there now to have a look.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2010, 10:48 AM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom

Have a look at this thread I started a few weeks back.

It's very similar to you question, I was hoping to get a few more tyre reviews on there but nevermind.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2010, 05:03 PM
cooper1019

United Kingdom Male View cooper1019's Thunder Blue & Silver 1st Gen MINI Cooper S JCW GP Profile View cooper1019's Classified Ads

runflats

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniloving View Post
Hi everyone,

I bought a 2003 registered Mini about 4 months ago (my first!) and I love the car. However, it came with Pirelli Eufori@ 205/45/17 run flats and I've just had a puncture....I naively didn't realise these can't be repaired! I've seen a lot of discussion around the pros and cons of runflats and I'm leaning towards changing all four tyres to standard tyres.

So the question is:
Could anyone recommend standard tyres (mid to high class) for the Cooper S? I'm not particularly attached to any brand. I tried a little to find out what standard tyres are being fitted to new (normal) Minis for a bit of guidance but no luck - so if anyone has recently bought a mini and can shed some light that would be helpful too?

Thanks a lot people!
the runflats can be repaired just like a normal tyre,i have had 2 punctures and had them fixed no problem,unless the sidewall is damaged,and remember that the suspension on the cooper S has been set up for runflats,so when you change to ordinary tyres you change the set up,and you will need a foam filler incase of a puncture,when i got a puncture in mine i just carried on going a further 170 miles with no problem,so a brilliant idea imo.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2010, 05:14 PM
3 JWL

England Male View jlove's Laser Blue & White 2nd Gen MINI John Cooper Works Profile View jlove's Classified Ads

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , ,

Quick Reply