MINI Cooper Forum banner

Pls help re tyre pressure issue (+ warning light)...

8K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Caveman 
#1 ·
Hi all

For the second time in about 4 weeks I've found myself viewing the red warning light on my dashboard to tell me that there is a drop in pressure in one or more tyres.

Last time I was on my way back of a 41 mile journey when 5 minutes in the light came on. I pulled onto the hard shuolder of the lovely M42 and waited for recovery. Discovered you see that the lighter had stopped working so i couldn't plug the bloomin' inflator wotsit it. Anyway. Got home, next day got recovery to local we-love-to-rip-you-off tyre place who tested all tyres and whilst 2 were indeed low, they could find absolutely no leaks at all. Tyres were pumped up and all has been fine.

Today, on way to an appt for work, light comes on again. Great. V stressful journey as I absolutely cannot afford for the tyre to go flat and have to buy a new wheel. So having called at endless garages I could find no help there as 1. their air machines were broken or 2. they were chargeable and I had no 20p's!

Anyhoo, got back ok. Borrowed a colleague's car lighter and went round all the tyres with the inflator. Really, none of them were low. One was 28 but even that's not critical. After this the warning light is currently still on even though the tyres are clearly now at pressure...

So, again tonight I have to travel, in the expected snow, from Halesowen to Warwick and back again. I am so worried about going because when that light is on every mile is a total worry and really really stressful - and yet I'm told the tyres are totally ok.

Advice????? I have to leave at 4pm :(

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you reset the tyre pressure monitoring system since pumping up all the tyres? If you have a second generation Mini, this is done via the button on the end of the indicator stalk. Hopefully others will say how to do it on a first generation (a button next to the gear lever is it?).

It seems unlikely this is the entire cause of your problem, but you might as well rule it out by resetting the system - it might make the warning go away for now, or even for good.

This is only a warning system and doesn't mean anything is broken. If you pull over, check the tyres and find none of them are visibly flat, I believe it is safe to drive on at a modest pace - gentle cornering/acceleration/braking, etc, but don't worry about it. When the opportunity exists, use a garage tyre pump.

Don't ignore the warning and don't miss the chance to pump up the tyres, but you won't be struck with a thunderbolt if you drive with the warning on.

This week's top tip? Get a few 20p and leave them in a cupholder!

Or regard it as a sign from above that you should go in the garage shop, treat yourself to the choc you fancy, in order to get the change in 20p - it is a well-known fact that choc eaten for a reason such as this contains no calories at all......

#3 ·
Even better hot tip, don't say to your kids, yes, go and get 50p out of my bag of change in the car - only to find when you're out trying to do your job that the little beggars have taken all the coins so you can't park or visit an air machine!!!

I'm not sure where the reset button is but will have a routle through the manual before I set off for home and see if it goes off. Thanks Angib.

#8 ·
Mate, I haven't got a clue if I've got bloody run flats or not!!! I bought this car from one of the most cr*p car sales outfits in the west midlands. Within 1 month I had to replace gearbox and clutch so excuse me if I'm a bit jaded...

But to answer your question, why the panic (you say with a slightly insulting tone). Because I have to take my children miles to see their dad for court ordered contact every fortnight, that's why. And when I take them I want to be sure they are safe. And when I drive I don't want to arrive at my destination with a knackered wheel which I simply cannot afford to replace.

Sufficient answer?

#6 ·
Many owners think the light will go out when you pump the tyre up.......but the warning system has to be reset first.

With runflats if you are on a motorway proceed to the next available exit at 50mph max and then check your tyres in a safe place.......rarely should you need to stop on the hard shoulder or call recovery for a minor puncture or pressure loss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.