rear brake knocking - MINI Cooper Forum

Wheels, Tyres & Brakes
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
For (almost) all things alloy, steel and rubber, plus upgrading your MINI's stopping ability

Sponsored by:

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2014, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
Local Time: 08:45 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom
DIY rear brake knocking

I have a 2002 mini cooper and whilst driving along there is a knocking noise coming from the rear brakes. The faster the travel the faster the knocking. Is there any cure please. All brake pads are relatively new. I have been advised to coat the metal part of the pads in copper grease. This stopped it for a while but the grease gets runny and it starts all over again. HELP!

Last edited by UKminiman; Feb 11th, 2014 at 08:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2014, 03:34 PM
MINI2 Newbie
Local Time: 08:45 AM

My MINI has just started to knock from the rear brakes, my service is due next Sept, so i think i will be mentioning it to them while i am there. So long as its covered by warranty as it should seeing as it seems to be a common fault.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2014, 01:25 PM
My other car is a Mini
Local Time: 07:15 PM

Australia Male
Check the two bolts holding the calipers in place. Mine shook loose, it started with a clunking and rattling noisenoise coming from the rear end, sounded like loose wheel nuts but couldn't locate the source. Worked it out when the caliper fell off.
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.