MINI Cooper Forum banner

Replacing Coupe SD tyres

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  habi222 
#1 ·
I've had my 2012 '(61 plate) Coupe SD for two weeks now and find that the ride is very rough over potholes and broken tarmac. So rough in fact that my oh is not enjoying being in the car at all. I read on Car Magazine's long term test review (I Can't post a url as I haven't the required number of posts) that fitting Continentals would improve the way the suspension absorbs ruts and ripples considerably while leaving the ride firm.

So here’s the good news. On ‘standard’ Continental Contisport 3 205/45 R17 tyres – ie non-runflats – the Coupe’s ride quality has significantly improved. The brittle jaggedness that had the Mini crashing and thumping over every intrusion on runflats has been rounded off. There’s a welcome degree of compliance and give in the way the suspension now absorbs ruts and ripples. Yes, the ride can still only be described as very firm but it’s now less aggressive and harsh.
The handling hasn’t been adversely affected by this step up in compliance and comfort either. Body control remains exceptional, and the Mini can still be whipped through corners at silly speeds with the slightest flick of the wrist. The Coupe never feeling anything but taut, alert and agile. Superb brakes, too. So if you have the choice, opt for the standard tyres and get a tin of puncture foam. Your spine and filings will thank you.
I'm currently driving on Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 205/45 R17 84V tyres and am looking for suggestions and advice on swapping to something more forgiving. I noted on here mention of needing a compressor and filler which the car came with so that shouldn't be an issue.

Plus, are there any dealers that do part exchange for part worn tyres?

#2 ·
I had Bridgestone Potenza's on my Dooper Convertible and to be honest the ride did not bother me, yes it was hard but I quite like that.

When I needed two new ones I went for Hankooks. I had only replaced two and the new ones went on the back and the car handled like a bag of sh**e. When I went back to the tyre place I mentioned it to then and they said it was because of the flexibility in the tyre wall. The got me a Hankook and a Potenza off the rack and got me to press down on the sidewall. The Hankook gave a fair bit but the Potenza's were almost solid.

I needed a new front tyre as I had been given an MOT warning on one of them so I replaced the front two with Hankooks and the handling improved considerably.

I am happy with the Hankooks, but if I had known what I do now I would have stuck with the Bridgestones, avoided the bad handling and continued to enjoy the bone shaking ride.

#3 ·
No doubt that driving on the potholes is much difficult as compare to the others smooth road as well as tires is also damaged when you drive on the potholes what types of tire are you want know?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.