MINI Cooper Forum banner

Tyre pressure light and weird handbrake relationship

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  The Nun 
#1 ·
Hello, my tyre pressure light is always on on my R50 Cooper 2004. Tried resetting but when i pull away it comes on straight away.

Ive heard this is now an MOT failure and im also trying to sell the car so dont want this appearing.

Ive also discovered a weird correlation, when i start car and when stationary pull the handbrake off but release it down to the first click - just a tiny bit off fully down. then the handbrake light isnt on BUT the tyre pressure monitor light doesnt come on.

Whilst driving if i drop the handbrake fully then the tyre pressure light illuminates. To remove the light again requires turning engine off and on again.

Any ideas? Surely this is an abs sensor or something brake related?

#2 ·
Just wondered, are the handbrake cables both of equal tension or is one slightly slacker than the other, you can see at the calipers under the rear if theres any slack.
Both rear brakes do fully release and one doesnt drag slightly?
Is the handbrake lever abraiding a wire to the reset switch when its in a certain position earthing it out? I dont have a Gen1 but isnt the reset switch near the handbrake lever on those? just a thought.

#4 ·
I've had occasional problems like this due to the reset button getting stuck (pushed in).
Usually happens after I clean or vacuum and accidentally push the button.
Maybe try pulling the e-brake boot off and looking at the switch and check the
switch, connector, etc. first.

#6 ·
Nice to know about this relation.Its awesome when you apply brake so the the light will be turned on.Now it get adapted by many people to presenting mini in an attractive mood.I like your idea.I would like to use it for my Cooper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.