MINI Cooper Forum banner

Brake shudder through steering wheel after new discs and pads.

4K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Tomfromwales 
#1 ·
Hi, hope someone can help.

I did a trackday in my 2004 r53 CS, before hand I changed the pads and discs to upgraded Ebc red stuff and grooved and dimpled discs. The car was driven very hard on the day. Since then I have had serious shudder under braking felt through the steering wheel.

I have since replaced the pads for green stuff and had the discs polished using 80grit to get rid of material build up.

Today I polished and cleaned the hub face and inside disc again to make sure there was no run out.

After a test drive I can reveal it's a bit better but the wobble is still present.

Ebc are sending replacement discs on Wednesday.

I'm at a loss as to what else to do really. Discs don't warp before you say! :)

In summary;
New discs
New pads
Discs cleaned of material
Mounting surfaces polished for run out
Wheels rotated
Wheels balanced.

I'm tempted to go back to standard as there was less drama during braking anyway. These new ebc ones are so noisy and make a grinding noise.

See less See more
#4 ·
Did you bed the new brakes in before you took it on the track ? My mate had a similar problem on his subaru only a couple of weeks after fitting new discs (I think his were just grooved) he took it back to get it looked at & they replaced his discs it was fine after that but they told him to make sure he beds them in properly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.