Avon ZZ3 Run Flat - MINI Cooper Forum

Wheels, Tyres & Brakes
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
For (almost) all things alloy, steel and rubber, plus upgrading your MINI's stopping ability

Sponsored by:

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2014, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 11:11 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Question Avon ZZ3 Run Flat

Hi

Does anyone have these on their Cooper S ?
thinking about putting these on my about to be collected (03) S , Tyres on there at the moment are 3 different types ! want to even things out a bit .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2014, 09:18 AM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 12:11 AM
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

United Kingdom

I'd switch to non-runflats if you are going to replace all 4 tyres on a 2003 MCS. I'd also recommend Khumo Ecsta's, very good value and excellent wet weather grip. Depends on how many miles you do a year with regard to tyre wear though as Khumo's are not best on wear rates. My tyre supplier doesn't recommend Avon road tyres although does suggest they are great for track and motorsport use.

Lots of good reasons for not using runflats: including, dreadful handling and tramlining, more expensive to purchase initially, often need to be replaced after a puncture if you drive any distance on them etc.

Spike
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2014, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

will I have to make any changes other than just putting non run flats on my existing wheels ?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2014, 09:38 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 01:11 AM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

Estonia Male View Caveman's Classified Ads

You'll have to carry a compressor and tire sealant to deal with punctures.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2014, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Thanks Caveman , appreciated
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Land Rover & Tiger 1200

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

United Kingdom View Tigger, Eeyore & Roo's Hyper Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View Tigger, Eeyore & Roo's Classified Ads

I ran these tyres for some time on my Cooper S and they were excellent - with a good ride and fantastic wet weather grip. I must have covered a total of over 30,000 miles on them, with probably around another 150,000 miles with ZZ3's on high powered Volvos and around another 20,000 miles in a 300hp Focus RS.

Counter intuitively, the runflat ZZ3's are finer riding than the non runflat versions as they are a lower load rating. In fact, the runflat ZZ3's are finer riding than many non runflats.

Be sure you're looking at the runflats with the correct load rating though, as I didn't think that the correct versions were still made (the ZZ3 has a dramatic tread pattern and new noise regs are not kind to it )

5/04-Feb '07 R50, 2/07-5/10 R53. Outgrown!
Replaced by, a white Focus RS Mk2 then a red Land Rover Freelander 2, then another and now a Disco 4 on order! Not forgetting the Triumph Tiger...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Land Rover & Tiger 1200

United Kingdom View Tigger, Eeyore & Roo's Hyper Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View Tigger, Eeyore & Roo's Classified Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihughes View Post
My tyre supplier doesn't recommend Avon road tyres although does suggest they are great for track and motorsport use.
Odd that, I've run Avons over many 100,000's of thousands of road miles (after driving around 35,000 - 40,000 miles a year, for the last 33 years, I reckon to have done half of that total on Avons) and can't understand why he has a problem. Maybe there's a greater chance of maintaining a living margin on Korean tyres?

Replaced by, a white Focus RS Mk2 then a red Land Rover Freelander 2, then another and now a Disco 4 on order! Not forgetting the Triumph Tiger...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2014, 08:36 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Avon ZZ3 is a good tyre, I haven't used it as a runflat, but have done about 20 laps of the Nurburgring on them and used them daily too, plus weekends to and from south coast, no noise issues, or any other, and wear very well. I believe they're standard fit on some Rolls or Bentley cars?

Pretty sure in non rft's they're being superceeded by ZZ5?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2014, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Thanks Guys , always nice to get lots of feedback .
will check on the RF versions , sure they are still available from some suppliers
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2014, 05:49 AM
Land Rover & Tiger 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExclusiveWorkshops View Post
no noise issues, or any other, and wear very well. I believe they're standard fit on some Rolls or Bentley cars?

Pretty sure in non rft's they're being superceeded by ZZ5?
No noise issues with them here either, but changing regulations on new tyres demand ever quieter tyres and these were designed more for wet weather grip than ultimate low noise output.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2014, 05:54 AM
Land Rover & Tiger 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR03 View Post
Thanks Guys , always nice to get lots of feedback .
will check on the RF versions , sure they are still available from some suppliers
I remember it being easy to confuse the two as even the non runflat version misleadingly has "RF" on the sidewall (RF, as in "reinforced", in this case though). The only way of telling for sure that it was the right one was that it had the standard load rating, rather than the higher "reinforced" load rating.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.