MINI Cooper Forum banner

how to extinguish brake wear warning light

7K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  cristo 
#1 ·
I changed the rear pads on our 2004 Mini Cooper after the brake wear light came on.

I have registered the sensor. It's well c Lear of the rotor, but the warning light stays on. How can I reset it?

The front pads are almost new.

Cheers!

Charlie'S Dad

#2 ·
Well, You can try unplugging your battery for a few minutes and that "should" clear up the codes... But if your still having problems after that u can take it to your local shady mechanic with a car scanner and clear the code with the computer, Unless you have a diagnostic car computer laying around the battery trick is your best bet :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

#4 ·
The service reset on Gen1 doesn't clear the brake light.

try this:

"The MINI uses a Brake Wear Sensor on the front left and rear right brake pads. When the brake pad wears down, the brake pad wear sensor is also worn down and will eventually trigger the warning light to alert you. Once the warning light is triggered, the wear sensor needs to be replaced.
After replacing the sensor, turn the ignition key to the #2 position for around 30 seconds without turning over the engine...the light goes out! "

Here's a link with gen 1 and gen 2 instructions:

MINI Brake Pad Wear Warning Reset – How To | Bavarian Autosport Blog

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.