MINI Cooper Forum banner

No bite or stopping power after upgrade ebc

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  MiniDeLux 
#1 ·
Hi all! Hope someone with brakes expertise can help.

I have the r53.
It had standard front brakes and they were awesome. Better than my wife's Countryman.
I changed them to ebc grooved and dimpled. Pads were red stuff, green stuff and now standard pads.
Basically since the upgrade, the brakes are terrible. There's no bite, I can push my foot to the floor and the car won't even lock up.
It's had 2 brake services.
I did a trackday with the new discs and was extremely hard in the car. Since then I have replaced the discs under warranty.
Had the system bled using the abs turned on.
I'm at a total loss with it now. I thought about booking it in with BMW and just getting then to make it standard. But I can't work out why there's no power in the brakes after a trackday and upgrade. And the fact I can push the brake pedal to the floor without getting them to kick and abs to kick in.
Heeeeelp!

#2 ·
Sounds like a downgrade?
Im not sure about the modern MINI system, but the original dual circuit system had a shuttle in the master cylinder, which shut down one half of the system if that sprung a leak, so you only had half a circuit to stop you for emergency.
With the old system if you bled the brakes, or pushed back the pads the shuttle could move out of position unless you used a centralisation tool to keep the shuttle in the mid position, otherwise you could end up with half a system still.
Maybe thats whats happened or something along those lines??

#3 ·
I don't see EBC as an upgrade really, but you have them now, so I'd take the car to your nearest mot station and ask them nicely to do a brake efficiency test, you might have seizing calipers or components, and that test may show it, beyond that don't go to BMW, just get OE spec parts from Euro Car Parts or similar, and change the brake fluid maybe if it hasn't been done again since your 'warranty' claim.

Just my 2p

#5 ·
Fluid level in the brake reservoir is between min and max? Also check the brake booster for leakage.

Sounds like there could still be air in the lines or surface contamination of the brakes. Check the fluid level and then clean the brake surfaces with brake cleaner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.