MINI Cooper Forum banner

Mini Cooper rear brake pad help/advice

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  souster4 
#1 ·
Hi all

I have a 2004 mini cooper. Which is due for a rear brake pad change which i plan to do myself.

My first question is, are ATE brake pads original equipment that is used from the factory? Im led to believe that is the brand of callipers used on this model?

Going to be buying the pads from euro car parts so either ATE or Pagid.

Lastly, does anyone know which way the rear caliper pistons have to be wound back in.. Clock wise or anti clock wise? And are there any rewind tool recommendations?

Many thanks in advance :)

#2 ·
I don't know about the OE ones, but I fitted a set of mintex discs and pads which have been great.

There is s a silverline wind back tool for the mini available; from memory I think it is clockwise to wind them in but you'll easily see when you try it.

Also don't forget the screws that hold the discs to the rear hubs. They are made of cheese and seize in the threads so can be very reluctant to come out.

Give them a good soak in penetrating oil and let it soak in for a while before you try to remove them. You need a good quality torx head (t50 I think) and one of those hand held impact drivers (the ones you hit with a hammer).

You will need new screws to refit when you've got the old ones out. There are a couple of vids on you tube about changing brakes

#3 ·
ATE, Pagid, or Textar are regarded as OE.

ATE are good, Textar also, Pagid I avoid when I can. I know you don't say you're doing the discs so you don't need to disturb the disc screws, the caliper winds clockwise and has to be pressed while doing it and often with that type of caliper, unwind 1/2 turn when wound in fully. If you change the discs I don't know that ATE do them, so i'd use Textar which Euro Car Parts can get or will have. Pagid and Textar are from the same company, but not the same pad.

Only my2p

#4 ·
Thanks very much Guys.

Ive gone for ATE rear brake pads. Which as you say. Are OEM for this model. Noticed online the genuine mini pads has ATE marked on them. This discs are fine.

The wear sensor hasnt yet activated on the dash, there still abit of life in the pads. But want to change them anyway. Can i re use the sensor? Or do i need a new one?

Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.