MINI Cooper Forum banner

2001 Cooper wheel nut key

7K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  rhino666 
#1 ·
Hi

Recently bought an early Cooper.
It has what look like original 16 inch alloys with the mini centre caps.
Unfortunately no toolkit supplied and there is a splined wheel nut on each wheel that needs a male 16 spline bit to undo.
Can anyone please tell me where I can buy one of these keys.

#3 ·
Sounds like they are OEM BMW locking wheel bolts.......you could try taking it to a main dealer and see if they will help you, but I suspect they don't sell just the splined removal sockets (which are coded). They will probably want to con you into buying a complete new set! They cost about £36 from BMW.

If you just want to get them undone, most independant tyre fitters carry a range of locking wheel keys (that the acquire over the years, left behind by customers!) and if all else fails they should be able to get the old locking bolts undone for you but may damage them in doing so.

It is easy and cheap enough to buy 4 replacement bolts, or alternatively get a new set of lockers ready to fit when you get the old ones out.

By the way, I've been told that BMW's technique for getting locking bolts out without the key is to weld a bit of steel onto the bolt but I don't know if this is true.

When I had this problem myself (the lock socket was damaged and would not grip onto the bolt) I took it to my friendly tyre dealer and he had them undone in seconds!

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I thought I had posted a reply yesterday but must have done summit wrong.
I believe these are original BMW fitment - certainly not McGard as have sharp splines rather than their characteristic square section.
Unfortunately I can't see any ID on the bolts and only 16 spline keys I can find are BMW(ABC 32) and Skoda(ADC 5)
If anyone has these 16 spline bolts fitted to their Mini would they please reply to this thread with any identification off their key.

I did call BMW, Paignton a few days ago who took car details but had a computer problem. Hopefully they will get back in touch at some point.

#7 ·
I think you may find that all the BMW locking Bolts have 16 splines......it's the spacing and/or the thickness of the splines that creates the different codes that are available.

Neither the bolts or the adapter will have any markings on them and each 'kit' of 4 bolts comes with a code card which you are advised to keep safe so that you can order a replacement adapter if necessary.

So, without the code you will not be able to purchase the correct adapter unless you can persuade a friendly BMW parts dept to let you try the adapters from any bolt sets they happen to have in stock (with different codes)!

#8 · (Edited)
Neither the bolts or the adapter will have any markings on them and each 'kit' of 4 bolts comes with a code card which you are advised to keep safe so that you can order a replacement adapter if necessary.
The adapters for my wheel lock set do have the code on them.

So, without the code you will not be able to purchase the correct adapter unless you can persuade a friendly BMW parts dept to let you try the adapters from any bolt sets they happen to have in stock (with different codes)!
I'd contact a MINI service department as they might have one of each size on-hand, to handle that situation where a wheel needs to be removed and the owner has forgot or lost their adapter.

#9 ·
The mystery has been solved:)
I found the original key hidden in the car.
Paignton BMW computer system to Germany has been down for a week so they were prepared to let me find the key from their set and they would then replace it. Before travelling over 20 miles to get there I had a last look and found the key.
Had already really narrowed it down to the only two I could find available with 16 splines - No.5 mainly used by Skoda and No. 32 mainly used by BMW. Mine is marked 32.
Most BMW keys seem to have 19 splines(No. 36) but as can be seen from this thread replacement without key information(excuse pun) is not straightforward.

My advice is to make sure you know details of your wheel key should the poxy little thing get lost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.