MINI Cooper Forum banner

Correct tyre pressure

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  The Nun 
#1 ·
I have recently acquired a 2013 cooper S convertible from a main dealer. When it was handed over tyre pressure was 2.3 bar all round. Sticker on door says 2.7bar so shortly afterwards I inflated tyres to 2.7 bar all round. However, this made the car bounce around, tramline and be generally difficult to drive. It did not handle well and felt as if, well, the tyres were massively overinflated.

I have now reduced pressure back down to 2.3 bar and the car rides and handles just fine.

It is on Bridgestone Potenza 17 inch runflats.

What peressure should I run the tyres at and is there something wrong with the setup of the car if I cannot run pressure as indicated on the sticker by the door.

#2 ·
The tire pressure on the door plate is the recommended pressure to run. Sounds to me like someone lowered the air pressure so a potential buyer, when taking a road test, would not object to the stiff suspension the S model is known for.

The lower pressure might not be too bad. Keep an eye on your tire wear. The outside edges will wear faster if tires are run with too low air pressure.

#3 ·
With the pressure at 2.7bar as recommended on the door plate, the ride does not feel stiff, more like it is bouncing along and very twitchy. Car tramlines very badly and needs constant attention to keep in a straight line.

Car is much bett to drive at 2.3 bar

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.