MINI Cooper Forum banner

7J / 7.5J - are both OK?

13K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Farms 
#1 ·
I have an R56 Cooper S with 17 Flame spokes on 205/45/17s, which I believe are a 7J rim width.

I am looking at getting rid of run flats and have decided upon getting a Team Dynamics wheel which is 7.5J. Will this be OK on my car - is there any issue with fitment?

I've never bought after-market alloys before, so it's all a bit of a mystery, hence the daft line of questioning!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul

#3 ·
Cheers for the reply, Caveman!

I've had the car 2 and a bit years and they've been subjected to a fair bit of pothole-based abuse. One has a flat spot like the letter Omega, two are buckled to boogery. I can't remember if there is a good one on there.

But also the wheel and tyre package seems relatively cheap and I had been told by someone (rightly or wrongly) that the run flats mask the buckled and damaged shape of my alloys by being so stiff themselves and conventional rubber may not.

I also thought the jury was still out as to whether you could absolutely safely put conventional rubber on a run-flat tyre.

But even if those two items are false, I've decided to get some newies just because I'll just feel better about things!

Offset is 37 to 45.

Team Dynamics Imola Hi Power Silver 17" Alloy Wheels - Wheelbase

Thanks for your help.

Paul

#5 ·
Thanks Caveman

Chaps like your good self and resources such as this are a Godsend!

Read with interest your reply to the one above me too.

If the rim width is slightly wider but the maximum offset slightly lowerlower, should they cancel one another out, or have I got the wrong end of the wrong stick?

Also, the fella at Wheelbase told me that a 205/45/17 would look narrow on a 7.5J, which I don't understand.

Is it basically the case that as long as your bolt pattern is correct, 7.5J is fine as long as you can get within a few mm of 48 on the offset?

Cheers

#6 ·
If the rim width is slightly wider but the maximum offset slightly lowerlower, should they cancel one another out, or have I got the wrong end of the wrong stick?
You are correct. The following site shows the effect of changing width and offset ...

Wheel Offset Calculator

Also, the fella at Wheelbase told me that a 205/45/17 would look narrow on a 7.5J, which I don't understand.
According to the TireRack you can run 205/45-17 tires on wheel widths 6.5-7.5". Going from 7" to 7.5"will "stretch" the tire a little. On stock suspension you could go with 215/45-17 or 215/40-17 tires on the wheels you're considering.

Is it basically the case that as long as your bolt pattern is correct, 7.5J is fine as long as you can get within a few mm of 48 on the offset?
Yes, you want 4x100 bolt pattern and need to consider the center-bore of the aftermarket wheels. OEM center-bore is 56.1mm, so you will need hub-centric rings if these wheels have a larger one.

#7 ·
Hi Caveman

Just to let you know I had my new alloys completely with NRFTs fitted today. I went with a 7J wheel although it was only available with a 42mm offset, but seems fine to me. I've gone for a sort of gunmetal coloured MSW 25. NRFTs are much better over the rough stuff, although I can't quite gauge how much better thus far. Needs a few more miles to properly assess, but they're definitely better.

Thanks for your help. I didn't have a clue and your advice helped me get things sorted.

I didn't actually see these wheels in the flesh before I bought, and the picture on the website was a slightly different version, and I was initially disappointed. However, this evening I have decided I quite like them...!

Cheers once again

Paul

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.