MINI Cooper Forum banner

Can my Run-flat tires be replaced with conventional?

34K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  seh1 
#1 ·
I have a 2013 Paceman Cooper S et al - equipped with Pirelli Run flat's 225/40 R19 and they have only 40K on them. They are quite warn, showing a bit less than 4/32 and one looks like it's got separation. My steering shimmy's and the car responds abruptly and unexpectedly. I contacted my dealer service, but they never got back to me. A local tire store said that he doubted Pirelli would honor any warranty on a three year-old car.
So I want to get rid of the run-flat's and replace them with conventional tires of the same size. My question is - Can this be done... or is there some strange design that requires these run-flats.
Also, if any other MINI owners experienced similar issues... let me know what might be happening.
Thanks folks...

#3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. When you had the run flats, did you notice some strange steering behavior - like unexpected movements as if you were in a "groove" - This has happened, at even higher speeds. (Hopefully the conventional tires will stabilize this). Like you, this is my wife's car, and she never leaves the pavement - and is a very modest driver. But the Paceman with the 4WD, paddles and stuff - may have other front end design issues..? Any idea's?

#4 ·
Hi yes, it would wonder all over the road. its because they were worn, and run flat tyres have reinforced side walls so you can drive them when flat at 50mph till you get to a garage and get it repaired.But when they are worn they have a mind of there own some gargares will not even repair a run flat tyre you just have to buy a new one.He in the UK there are places that will repair them, but i have always changed them to normal tyres even on my 2010 BMW 325i and carryed a spare wheel

#5 ·
run flats

Hi yes, the car would wonder all over the road because they were worn,if you change the tyres make sure you change all 4 so they are the same.I bought brand new bigger alloy wheels and non run flat tyres for my wifes car, for neally the same price as 4 brand new run flat tyres aslong as you carry a spare wheel its the way forward

#7 ·
Hi no, sensors have not tripped, my wifes car is a mini one not a paceman, but you can put non run flats on any car that has run flats,The trye companies try to sell you run flats because they are a fortune and they are only trying to rip you off.Run flats are not a nice trye they take a long time to get warm and are very hard ride,also they prone to cracking your alloy wheels when hitting a pot hole

#8 ·
Depends on what tyres you buy and where you buy them from. Runflats are starting to come down in price these days. If you do change to normal tyres remember and either carry a spare or a tin of tyre weld and a compressor so your not caught short in the event of a flat.

#9 ·
Hello again. Later today I had a manager from a major (Cdn) tire store, who lives a few houses away come and test-drive the Paceman - he confirmed that all tires were showing only a bit better than 2/32 and that is really sad, because the odometer only has 40K on it. Moreover, The steering wheel shimmied for him as well - and he said, "even worse - the rt front tire was separating". It was, in his opinion unsafe to drive at all. So I parked it and will be ordering conventional tires ASAP. Hopefully after Christmas...
You mentioned a spare. With these 19" rims, I doubt if that's practical - but can the low tire pressure indicators that show up on my on-board display - work with other than run-flat tires?

#13 ·
You mentioned a spare. With these 19" rims, I doubt if that's practical
There is no need to a spare wheel to be the same diameter as the other wheels - all the different standard tyre sizes have about the same outside tyre diameter so can be used together. I don't think you need to bother with a TPMS sensor either as this is a wheel for emergency use and driving with a warning on the dashboard is no biggie.

Mini sell a 16" steel wheel (6.5Jx16) which the parts diagrams says will fit over the brakes of a Cooper S. In Britain this costs the equivalent of $CAN200. This is fitted with a 195/60x16 tyre. The parts diagram says this wheel is for use with winter tyres only but I don't know why they say that - maybe they want to see Cooper Ss on 17" tyres but for cautious emergency use, I bet the 16" tyre is OK.

So that spare wheel, which you may never use, would cost at least $CAN300 - at that price I would go with a can of tyre sealant and a tyre inflator.

#10 ·
Hi,yes the tyre pressure monitoring system will still work with both non run flat tyres and run flats.The system works when a tyre loses pressure and then the tyre changes in diameter.So the pressure system relates to the change and then the low pressure warning light appears.As for the 19" alloy wheel being not practical just make sure you carry a can of repair foam.All the best my friend hope everthing works out for you

#15 ·
I replaced the run flats on my 2003 mini cooper after enduring a very rough ride for about two years. I worked with the tire dealer (Not MINI) to find a replacement that would both provide a nice ride, be good in wet and icy weather and not ruin my budget. It was really unbelievable the difference in ride and handling! I was able to keep these on the car until I sold it with 75K on the odometer. So it is more than possible to replace the run flats and get a much better result. Let me just say that the run flats on my 2009 MINI convert are either better made or the MINI suspension is much better...the ride is almost as good as the replacement on my 2003. One note, you should look into a flat kit that would include an aerosol that would fill the offending tire with goop and an electric pump that you could plug in to the car that would get you to repair or replacement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.