MINI Cooper Forum banner

help tyres not taking air?

853 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  shep61 
#1 ·
I bought a set of cooper s alloys (8 spokes it wont let me post a photo as I have less than 15 posts) second hand. they seemed in good enough condition, the guy said they were off his wifes cooper s but she wanted other wheels hence selling these.
first problem encountered was I couldnt get 2 of the caps off bc they were "locked" had to use an injector pin to unlock them - is this normal?

they have reasonable pressure but I wanted to pump them up more prior to putting on my car. but they arent taking in any air, when I attached the air hose to the valve literally nothing happens. it usually bleeps at me tells me to put the hose on properly then I readjust and it starts putting in air and displays the pressure increasing or if already at desired pressure the display will flash.
but I just got nothing. the display continually sat at the desired pressure, it didnt read the pressure of the tyres or pump any air in.
It wasnt the pump faulty as i tried it on my current wheels and worked as normal.

does anyone have any ideas? i dont own a mini i'm putting them on a car with the same fitment so not sure how mini alloys/tyres usually work but i'm sure they would just pump up like normal tyres.

appreciated if someone could shed some light on what might be the problem

See less See more
#2 ·
Well if the caps were stuck then there is a good chance the valves are the same. Press the inner pin in and air should rush out. Do this several times to loosen it up and then try putting air back in. Still no joy get the valves changed. There are also guides on the web to check the age of tyres, replace if over ten years old.

Reactions: neonflash
#3 ·
i'll give that a go tomorrow
fingers crossed.
only 2 of the caps were locked on the other 2 came off fine and they didnt take air :/ but will try what u said.
would i need to replace the tyre to replace the valve? what would be the cost of replacing roughly

#4 ·
Hi. When you say valve caps are locked, do you mean they were tight, or had a security cap fitted. If security cap fitted, they sometimes need an adapter screwed in to accept the airline. Could it be they are flat and being runflats you just think they have good pressure in them, when they don't. As suggested, try pushing the pin in the valve to see if you have good air in them and go from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.