MINI Cooper Forum banner

R50 tyre size query

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  SteveM3 
#1 ·
Just a quick query about tyres sizes on my 2006 R50 Cooper - currently running 195/55/16 runflats which are nearing the end of their life. I'm going to switch to non-runflats and am shopping around. Is it ok to fit 205/55/16s or should I really stick to the 195 width?

#9 ·
205/55-16's would be fine. Your speedo will be more accurate, slightly better looks, slightly better protection for your alloys, slightly better fuel consumption, slighty worse acceleration, slightly raised ride height and slighty less arch gap. You'll be hard pushed to notice any of that bar the looks. As Caveman points out you'll need to inform your insurance company. Some are fine (L.V. are o.k. with my 215/45-17's) if that is your only change, some will use it as an excuse to raise your premiums. Not that insurance company's are money grabbing b*"$&(^)$ but some will even charge more if you fit winter tyres and wheels in the winter as they class it as a modification like nitro boost. That's a little rant about insurance companys over with normally I have plenty more to say about them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.