MINI Cooper Forum banner

16" wheels, should I?

6K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  lpgvan 
#1 ·
New to this mini thing, just got a Countryman SD with 225/45r18 run flats on. Have read loads of threads on here but still not sure what to do. Just done about 400 miles this weekend and the road noise and crashing over every crack in the road has me very close to getting shot of the whole car. Am quite happy to buy a set of wheels and tyres but only if they really make that much difference.
I am thinking of missing out 17" and going right down to 16" with 205 or 215/70r16 tyres, am I going to far??
Not to worried about cornering at high speed, just want at least as good a ride and as quiet a drive as my diesel hilux pickup, not much to ask of a car really.

#2 ·
I have the same size wheel/tyre combination on my R60. I agree, the ride is really hard, and the car can skip when at speed over a rough surface - there is just no flex in the tyres. I am tempted to change to non runflat, but haven't done it yet. I did it on my R53, keeping the same wheel and tyre size and it made a massive difference to the ride quality.

I think 16" would be too far. Either keep your 18" wheels and get new tyres, or switch to 17's with new wheels/tyres. I have a set of winter wheels which are 17" and have runflat winter tyres on them. The ride is much better on the 17" winter runflats than 18" summer runflats. I think 17" non runflat would give a massive improvement on what you have.

Let us know what you decide to do.

#6 ·
Been driving for nearly 40 years and never had a car like this one, goes well, stops well as long as you push hard on the rock of a peddle but the odd bit is the steering, you really need both hands on the wheel at all times, the slightest groove in the road or white line and it wants to change direction.

#7 ·
58 years driving. Bought an R53 S in October. Standard S-Spoke alloy 17s with nearly new run-flats 205/45/17. Torque steer, camber following, white lines, grooves, was verging on dangerous. I was horrified. Had it properly aligned on a Hunter. Everything was was out/wrong. Stopped most of the torque steer etc. Major improvement.

And ride was eye watering. Read a lot on the forums and so swapped the (hardly worn) run-flats for non run-flat - put on a fairly obscure tyre - Cooper Zeon CS Sports.
Improvement in ride was amazing. They are quiet, great grip, high marks for wet performance.
Agree with Brassd, think going to 16s would be a bit extreme and unnecessary. 17s would be good. But I think even on the 18s the ride would improve dramatically with 'standard' tyres.

I'm going to get aftermarket wheels - Rota RBs. First because I love the look, like classic Minilites and second because they weigh 8.3 kgs rather than 11.4 kgs. Less unsprung weight, less inertia = good.

So alignment and change the tyres. Should stop you hating it.

#9 ·
I have tried 15's, 16's, 17's and 18's on four different Minis and to me there wasn't that much difference. Changing from run flats to non-runflats made a big difference though. Also I found Koni FSD dampers to be an improvement for ride and handling as they claim.

Reactions: NigelK
#11 ·
I value all your replies and I will be getting 4 wheel alignment this weekend if not before, I will also be spending best part of £1000 on new wheels / non run flat tyres in the near future, so I am listening and prepared to put my money where my mouth is.
I just want to turn the question around a bit, costs nothing to ask I was always told.
Why if coming down from 18" wheels to improve comfort why does everybody seem to want to stop at 17" rather than 16".
Looking at old posts lots of people rave on about 16" winter tyres giving better ride etc etc but then go back to worse ride for the summer, is it just looks?
Same roads, same pot holes, same white lines and here in England quite often same weather.
Am I really missing the point with handling or ride or ?????

#13 ·
Looking at old posts lots of people rave on about 16" winter tyres giving better ride etc etc but then go back to worse ride for the summer, is it just looks?
Same roads, same pot holes, same white lines and here in England quite often same weather.
Am I really missing the point with handling or ride or ?????
I think 17s are a bit of each - handling and looks.
Winter Tyres
I have a 2011 Volvo C30 and have two identical sets of 16" Volvo alloys (Convectors) and identical size tyres - 205/55/16 - summers and full winters. Michelin Primacy 3 summers and Kumho I'ZEN KW23 winters. So I have a direct comparison. The winters are appreciably more comfortable. It is really noticeable. But the handling is much more vague and imprecise (expect on snow when they have mega grip, incredible once you've experienced it). The compound and flex in the sidewalls is totally different. Way softer.
Many Mini folk with two sets of wheels end up with 16s for their winters. Often steels. Cheaper all round.
So my take is that it is the winters more than the 16s that affect the ride so dramatically.

#14 ·
Now that makes sense and let me just add i am not trying to wind anybody up, just asking before i part with a grand.
I have a 2016 "66" plate Toyota Hilux ( with BFG all terrain tyres on, another story about tyres for another day maybe) which deals with the very odd day of snow we get so the Mini will stay at home, I am taking the 18" wheels with run flats off the mini as I think most people will agree smaller wheels even with normal will be better.
I think most people would not notice wheel size unless you are showing your car, I am not, I just want a nice comfortable car that my wife with one artificial hip and one knackered hip they wont replace can get in and out of that is not as low as a Mini CLUBVAN that I really wanted and you don't need a step ladder (Hilux) to get in to.
We like our Mini, I just wanted peoples opinion of which size wheel and maybe even which make of tyre people in the know, THAT'S you lot would fit to make it safe and drive able i.e give the turbo an airing now and again, SD goes nice don't it :) but mostly just shopping and holidays.
Just add again only asking, not trying to upset or argue with anybody.

#15 ·
Hope my post hasn't upset you? Seems some umbridge taken somewhere. I wasn't suggesting winters, just explaining that they are defo more 'squishy' and comfortable.
Think most of the responses seem pretty neutral and hopefully helpful. Given the needs of your wife, go for 16s with 'proper' tyres. It will transform the ride.

#17 ·
Your not upsetting me, it was me not wanting to upset anybody by basically keeping asking the same question. No umbrage taken and I know that you did not mean buy winters, I was just trying in my useless way to explain that my needs were only for one set of tyres as the hilux would cover the bad weather.
16" with proper tyres is where I came in but was / am looking to see what people thought and their reasons which I am quite happily soaking in their thoughts.
Somebody like yourself with 58 years driving behind them who I know has had just my mini experience of holding tight was just who I was hoping to talk to, and I did take on board your advice that changing the 18" tyres would help but 17's would be better.
I also like the look of your Roto RB'S and have found a local Hunter alignment machine.
My knees hurt from creeping now, no seriously, very happy with your advice and Brassd's advice, it seems maybe the only thing I should check is front brake clearance.
All I can really say to all of you is thanks.

#19 ·
I have these anthracite wheels on my black Countryman. They look great and hide the brake dust!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.c...3d1304511094-18-turbo-fans-anthracite-ac5.jpg

I guess the bottom line is non-runflats will improve the ride whatever the size wheel, by increasing the sidewall flex. The amount it improves increases the smaller the wheel size you go, as you will have more sidewall to flex. What we can't answer is what size improves the ride enough for you. (emphasis on the enough)

As you will be spending a large chunk of cash, you are doing the right thing asking for opinions. Hopefully other owners who have considered the same decision can wade in and offer their opinion/experience.

#20 ·
Thanks lpg. No need to creep. Unfortunately I misscalculated, it is 49 years - which just makes me old! And doesn't make me any kind of Mini guru at all. Many on here have forgotten more than I've learnt.
Good question, will 16s accomodate the brake discs? Don't know. There are quite a few sets of 16s with tyres (mostly run-flats it must be said) out there which are quite cheap. As I've said I don't know much about Gen2 and onwards Minis. Are they still 4x100 PCD? Many folk upgrade to 17s and so sell their 16s on.
Not sure where in the UK you are. There are a load of 16s on Gumtree:
https://www.gumtree.com/wheel-rims-tyres/uk/mini+cooper+alloys
And on eBay:
Mini Wheels with Tyres | eBay
There is a set of white ones, without tyres, near me up for £99 'Buy it Now'.
Assuming there isn't a brake issue, maybe buy some and try them? If you don't like them you can probably sell them for pretty much what you buy them for. I appreciate that is a bit of a hassle and dealing with fleabay buyers can be tedious.
I'm close to buying a set of the 17x7.5 Rota RBs in the gunmetal/anchracite. Think the diamond cut edges are nice.
Example on a US BRG car.

Attachments

#21 ·
Well that was a good mornings work. Went and had the wheel alignment done, it failed!!!!! well it would because that bit is free, all good so far. It's £90 to adjust it the man says, will it make much difference I ask? oh yes he says, well get on with it then.
Rear near side wheel is on maximum adjustment, nothing they can do, no charge (result) so I drive away.
Never mind I think while I am out lets go look at new wheels, drive across town, after 40 years selling alloy wheels the place closed down this month.
Still the place I brought the car from say they will sort the rear alignment so I suppose I am a little further forward.

#22 ·
Well it is taking longer than i planned but we are nearly there.
After listening to all the advice on here, again thanks, i went out and had all 4 wheels aligned (second attempt, seems better ) and ordered 4 new alloys and yes after all my keeping on about 16", I ordered 4 x 17 Inch Wolfrace Lugano Black Polished Alloys with 215/55/17 Maxxis HP5 tyres seemed an easy way of relieving myself of over £800 but they look nice.
The nearly bit is that i only fitted 2 tonight before i started to melt, so 2 more tomorrow evening should do it (I quite like the smell of the new wheels / tyres in the front room, the misses i think might be glad to see them gone).
So as it stands you were right it looks better on 17" i think but the real reason for 17" not 16",,,,,, they don't make those wheels in 16" with the mini stud pattern and i just had to have them :) :)

#25 ·
Well I now have all 4 new wheels fitted, not sure the offset is quite what it was / should be as the outside edge of the tyres are now about flush with the arches where they were maybe 10mm or more inside but it looks well, picture will follow another day ( needs good wash first).
And the driving / handling / ride, well what can I say, well to start with I have not checked tyre pressures yet so maybe to hard or soft but,,,,,,, I can now drive over cats eyes, aim for drain lids not drive around, I am not gripping the steering wheel like a white knuckle ride, great improvement and so glad I came on here and asked advice.
I think I can now enjoy driving it and i might just stick a few more thousand miles on it.( it must get a name soon, sad as that might sound).

My real question should be how does MINI get away with selling them with runflat 18" tyres and why would anybody fit 19" rims i have seen advertised.

A big thanks to everybody who took the time to give advice and encouragement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.