calling all web spoke owners! - MINI Cooper Forum

Wheels, Tyres & Brakes
Find Sponsor products associated with this forum
For (almost) all things alloy, steel and rubber, plus upgrading your MINI's stopping ability

Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2005, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
mini dee

Local Time: 03:19 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United States Male View bjerk's Dark Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Send a message via AIM to bjerk
calling all web spoke owners!

Hi all:
I went ahead and opted for the web spoke upgrade when I recieved delivery in mid april. but just recently the web spokes started clicking when I would put the car in motion. its rather annoying. it sounded like it might be the wheel bearings or something but it was definitely the wheels themselves making the noise! All four of them.

just wondering, Is that is normal for a wheel that is 2 piece construction wheel?

I took mine back to the dealer and they are replacing them all under warranty. the dealer thinks I took my mini off roading or mistreated the car that caused them to loosen but I would never treat a car that way. I take very good care of my cars. especially my mini.

I think its because of the heat and the wheel might be expanding/contracting. just my guess though. It seems I noticed the clicking just when it hit 90 degrees for several days in a row. Or perhaps they were all defective. but all four seems kinda odd. has any other web spoke owners had similar experiences?

dc

"In a forest pitch dark, glows the tiniest spark, grows into a flame, like me, like me"

Last edited by bjerk; Jul 5th, 2005 at 02:20 PM. Reason: consolidating duplicate post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2005, 08:32 PM
MrV
MINI2 Regular

United States

Never had anything like that with my webspokes. I live in North Texas, it's been 100 or over around here for days.

post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2005, 08:40 PM
Dead Man's Curve? Feh.

Local Time: 04:19 PM

United States Male View Pamlico's British Racing Green & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Send a message via AIM to Pamlico
Quiet webspokes here. Was your problem that the bolts holding the two parts together were loosening up? Could they be retightened?

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 2005, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
mini dee

United States Male View bjerk's Dark Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

well i guess the temperature thing is not the cause. maybe i hit one to many bumps.

not sure if they tried retightening the bolts and if that would fix the problem. they were quick to just reorder the new set rather than tinker with the set i have now... not that im complaining. good to hear that its not a common thing.
dc

"In a forest pitch dark, glows the tiniest spark, grows into a flame, like me, like me"
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 04:29 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 12:19 PM

United States

I have noticed a ticking for some time. After reading this post I think all 4 of my web spoke wheels are the culprit. When the car first begins to move after sitting for a few hours the ticking is louder and quick after rollling a hundred feet or so ithe ticking settles down but is still there. My car only has 1150 miles on it.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 06:24 AM
Just Do It

Local Time: 05:19 AM

Australia Male View nike61's Hyper Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Just got my mini only done 300 kms, so havent noticed, will be travelling for a few days so will listen on my return as would have sat in garage.
I would like to know, as no one has posted to a question thread, but with the mini [my first] do they react more to the camber of the road. With my other larger cars, you could let the steering wheel go even on a camber and it would take some time for the car to drift.
The MCS however on both sides is very responsive. Is this due to the 17" rims and run flat or is my alignment out?
Also I put on Eibachs.

post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2005, 06:03 AM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 12:19 PM

United States Female View Kellzir's Hyper Blue & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

I'm also having the clicking/ticking noise coming from the webspokes. But its not doing it all the time. I've notived it during the first couple of weeks but thought i didnt think anything of it since no one had a similar problem. Let me know whats the reason of the noise. thanks
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2005, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
mini dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamlico
Quiet webspokes here. Was your problem that the bolts holding the two parts together were loosening up? Could they be retightened?
The dealer said they did try to tighten the bolts up but it had no affect on the ticking noise. They said that the problem might be that the holes for the bolts were drilled slightly too large, so as the wheels turn the bolts would constantly shift, causing the ticking noise. The drill bit was probably at the end of its life cycle or something like that. but I still am suspicious because the ticking noise didn't start until about 1500 miles. I would think it that were the case the ticking would have been present from the begining. I have about 1800 miles now and it definitely shows no sign of getting quieter.

I should be getting four new wheels soon.

post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2005, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
mini dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike61
Just got my mini only done 300 kms, so havent noticed, will be travelling for a few days so will listen on my return as would have sat in garage.
I would like to know, as no one has posted to a question thread, but with the mini [my first] do they react more to the camber of the road. With my other larger cars, you could let the steering wheel go even on a camber and it would take some time for the car to drift.
The MCS however on both sides is very responsive. Is this due to the 17" rims and run flat or is my alignment out?
I would guess that is normal. just try going over a speed bump, slowly at an angle, and letting go of the steering wheel.... and watch the steering wheel turn violently. Im not sure it is because of the 17" wheels since i dont have another cooper to compare it with. but its probably got mostly to do with the stiffer suspension.

That is why I always have a firm grip on the wheel... and it just feels good in my hand too.
dc

post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2005, 02:55 AM
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
MINI2 Master

United States View GMINI's Pepper White & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile

Gripping the steering wheel is like well... just a joy of the three spoke.

I have r90s and a click in one. Never thought it could be the wheel. Neither did the dealership. Got a new clutch. Well. I'll mention it this time as a possible culprit along with the brake pad theory. Maybe they'll try that tried and true half-shaft replacement i recommended strongly last time (worked in my last MINI's identical problem)...

best of luck getting your wheels sorted. I like the over-boared excuse.

post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2005, 03:57 AM
Ramblin Man

Local Time: 05:19 AM

United States Male View paulr's Pepper White & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Send a message via AIM to paulr Send a message via Yahoo to paulr Send a message via Skype™ to paulr
I have web spokes with a different problem, not clicking. Take a look at this picture taken the day of delivery:

I didn't notice this till after the second time I had to fill the tire with air - it was down to 28psi! I had to go back and look at my pictures to verify it's origination. The bolt head is stripped right off.

800 miles and I've had to fill the tire 4 times So is this safe?
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2005, 04:19 AM
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
MINI2 Master

United States View GMINI's Pepper White & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile

safe enough to drive on for now. just take it easy. Make sure other lugs are tight.

post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2005, 12:42 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United States

Send a message via AIM to rutters
I havent had any problems with my web spokes yet, (knock on wood). I have 3700 miles on them, but I will keep on check on them if anything happens.

Thanks for the heads up GMINI!
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2005, 05:09 PM
She is still in breakin

Local Time: 02:19 PM

United States View abbydog3's Hyper Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Clicking, I just have the noise from one wheel. I kept thinking that I had a nail in my tire.

The noise started at mile 320 and is still present at odo 1100.

I will see what the dealer says.
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2005, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
mini dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbydog3
Clicking, I just have the noise from one wheel. I kept thinking that I had a nail in my tire.

The noise started at mile 320 and is still present at odo 1100.

I will see what the dealer says.
At first it sounded like a rock was in my tread. I cant count the number of times I ran my hand over the treads, let alone the amount of hand soap used to wash my hands, thinking there was something lodged in my treads.

Mine also started in one wheel, the front left, then the two left wheels.... after I took it in to the dealer, they said it was coming from all four wheels. my replacement wheels should be coming soon.
dc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mini2.com/forum/wheels-tyres-brakes/94864-calling-all-web-spoke-owners.html
Posted By For Type Date
dcmini: Motoringfile Posts Web Spoke Issue This thread Refback Jan 14th, 2009 07:57 PM