MINI Cooper Forum banner

Bad News: Dan McDonald

23K views 128 replies 43 participants last post by  m2smith 
#1 · (Edited)
I have just learned that Dan McDonald died yesterday.
Services Sun. and Monday. I will post more when I can.:(

We are meeting 4/22 at 4 p.m.ish at McDonald's Restaurant on Rt. 101 in
Raymond, NH and will head over to 2 Epping Street, Raymond around 4:30 p.m.

#6 · (Edited)
Dan was the finest man I ever knew. I don't make that statement lightly. He was a great friend.

Services:
Brewitt Funeral Home Sunday April 22 from 4-7 p.m.
2 Epping Street
On the Common
Raymond, NH

Monday April 23 at 11 a.m. at the Raymond Methodist Church, 51 Main Street, Raymond, NH 603-895-2265

I'm sure we'll have a fine contingent of MINIs there to honor his memory.

#8 ·
I just got a call from Spectrum where Dan worked. The first location in Exeter was wrong.
Sunday services are in Raymond, NH. Please see the change noted in the above post.

Reactions: Actual Size
#9 · (Edited)
right-o, Steve.. I can't say for sure I can make it, but I am going to do all I can to get there. Dan was a great guy, I'm really gonna miss him. :(

Do you know if there's anything the family needs, etc?..

Here's a great funny moment we had one of the last times I saw him. It was on the way to "Berries and BBQ 2005". HJ and TL, Myself and Dan were in a small convoy on 101 and we just randomly got out on the side of the road and presented Dan with his beautiful date.. the always love ly "Lola" :biggrin: This picture just cracks me up every time I see it.. He was such a good sport and one of the kindest people I've ever met.

#21 ·
I'm shocked! What a nice guy he was. Last time I saw him was at the R56 unveiling at MoP in February. Just a "hello" but he remembered me and that was only like the 3rd time I'd ever seen him.

We have such a vibrant community of friends here, but it seems like those people are the ones whose stay is the shortest. Godspeed, Dan.

#22 ·
In the 1600s, Bishop Robert South wrote:

"If there be any truer measure of a man than by what he does, it must be by what he gives."

...and Dan McDonald gave unconditionally to us all. His spirit will be welcomed in our hearts and in those of our departed friends.

Theo

#23 ·
I wanted to share a story that happened to us at the MOT 2004 (the first Bar Harbor invasion). At the gas station where we were to split into two groups there was some confusion as to where we were supposed to go. I found Diane but couldn't manage to find our 'leader' Chris Winslow. There was a message that came over the Walkies that the group had already left. So we punched it and hopped onto the interstate hoping to catch up to the rest of the group. Diane and I were speeding but neither of us had a radar detector so we were kind of afraid to really push it. I looked in my rear view mirror and here comes a red MINI really fast and then just blew by us like we were stopped (we were probably doing 75-85mph at the time). Diane came over the Walkie saying that he had to have had a radar detector and we could probably speed up a little (at least to catch him). We sped up to 100-110mph, calling for the 'leader' the whole time. We finally caught up to him and managed to pull the group over. Chris had the Walkie Talkie on the wrong channel. I caught up to the MINI that was going so fast and it was Dan McDonald. I asked him if he had a radar detector. His reply, "No." and laughed. I told him what happened and he laughed harder. He was just trying to catch up too.

#24 ·
Ah, Dan catching up. The Big Dig run a few years back went on from Boston out to the western burbs, with a stop at Decordova Museum. Here we were, all lined up in this pretty tranquil parking lot in the woods, and in came Dan, racing to catch up, wheels spinning and sand flying. We honored him by making his car the centerpiece for a group photo. Sorry I don't have a copy to share. Anyone?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.