MINI Cooper Forum banner

Tracking CVTs

80K views 232 replies 76 participants last post by  haroldhudnell41 
#1 ·
We've had a fair number of people lately who been experiencing CVT failure, or have we? It seems like there is a problem, but since reports of trouble are by definition self-selecting and often come from new members it's hard to know if these are just isolated cases or a signficant number of failures. I know of one or two CVT owners who were posting on here and then had trouble, but I also know of several, Willy first and foremost, whose cars have been fine. What I suggest is that all of us who have CVTs that are running fine post on this thread saying just that, CVT year, X thousand miles, date, no problem. And we keep doing this every month or so and see how many and how long we all go with or without problems. The more CVT owners who "sign on" the better sample size we'll have and maybe we can get some sense as to how big a problem or not CVT failure is. Many of us have posted this sort of thing before, but it's scattered in various threads, this way we'll get all our "data" in one place.

OK, me first.

Sejanus-'02 CVT, 68,000 miles, Nov. '06- no problems

#37 ·
Can you describe "limp mode" and what year is your CVT - an '04? Resetting the flat tire monitor doesn't work? :( Please do follow-up and let everyone know the outcome of your service - and I'm hoping for good news and it being something simple.

I hate reading this thread, but it's important to be aware - while not fatalistic.

#39 ·
I hate reading this thread, but it's important to be aware - while not fatalistic.
Actually the point of this thread wasn't exactly to report CVT problems. It was to start a list of CVTs without problems and then track to see how many, if any, developed them. So far I do not believe any of the owners with CVTs without problems listed here have developed any.

#44 ·
Good for you and your CVT, Sejanus - that's what I like to hear! Here's to "proverbial wood", too. :biggrin:

Aprilwhine, I am shocked, shocked that you and The Fuzzy One haven't surpassed that mileage - in total, no less! Seriously, though, I'm always rather amazed at how little mileage some folks seem to put on their MINIs. I'm just over 20k on my one year old '06 right now, but it is my daily driver. For economy and the environment, of course, it's much better if one doesn't have to pack on the miles daily, but if one does have to - the MINI does makes it much more fun.:cool:

#46 ·
Yes, the tranny is still under warranty but we are going on a trip in just over a week and I don't trust my car now. A tranny should be good for more than 20,000km, even a CVT.

I am having the car repaired at MINI Richmond, in British Columbia. It was repaired Monday of last week and Friday of last week and is going in again today as the EP light is on again. (They played with the brake switch and brake pedal the last two times.)

In answer to what is linp mode: I am told that the car's computer won't allow it to rev above 3000rpm, to protect the motor or tranny from catastophic failure. Thank goodness, I haven't expreienced it, yet.

#47 ·
This thread that Sejanus started has been interesting to follow, with a proper approach to the subject.

Continued excellent performance and reliability. We have another of the very early '02 cars, now over 62,000mi. After the bug-infested software at launch was stabilized in 2003 we've really had no problems at all.

For those interested,... we (my son joins me now) continue to drive the car in track days and autocross events. All the car's systems are heavily exercised; Motor, CVT, Brakes, Steering.

The MINI Cooper CVT is still a conversation among the attendees and students because the different gearbox modes have a use in the track day, and provide flexibility for the drive home as well as superior economy in cruise. People line up to ride and comment on the tackometer being "stuck at maximum power".

Our most recent event was two days in rain and reduced grip. The CVT was particularly adept in those conditions, using SD under full but very smoothly-applied acceleration, and Manual for the corners where the clutch-coupled gearbox permits throttle steering the car.

Huge safe fun, at high slip angles!

#48 ·
Nonsequitur, that's wonderful news - and your son driving with you, too. It seems like it was just yesterday that he was a mere babe.

I know there are not a few who will be glad for the positive, long term reports.

#52 ·
CVT gone at 70k mi :(

Hello, all -

I found this forum by googling for cvt problems. My 2002 started making a noise that my longtime BMW independent told me was a very noisy #3 fuel injector. I put in a bottle of injector cleaner at the beginning of the last tank of gas but after 200 miles it was getting noisier. Yesterday I brought it in & he said the injector noise was gone & what I was hearing was a dying torque converter. Ugh. I wonder if early problems with it were causing the low-speed bucking?

I have an '88 M3 track car to go fast in; I need something that can go slooow for commuting. <g>

So I'm exploring my options with the Mini. I can't sell it or trade it in the way it is. The simplest thing is to replace the CVT. The costs I've been seeing here have me thinking of other options (oooh, upgrade opportunity?)
Do any of the techs on the forum know how much work it is to:
- Replace the CVT with a regular automatic?
- Do a stick-shift conversion?
- Drop in an S engine & auto-trans?

Thanks for your time!

SonomaMINI
Sonoma, CA

#55 ·
Hi Sonomamini and welcome!

I'm interested in the answers to those questions too. I can help with the first one, I don't believe there is enough room in the engine compartment for a regular automatic transmission.
Thanks!
MINI of San Francisco just told me there is no "regular" automatic for the non-S, so _that's_ out.
They are selling a rebuilt CVT for $4750 plus refundable core charge. MINI of Concord's retail price is $5173 plus core.

My independent (Bill Arnold) is going to look for a used CVT with a warranty. He's estimating 10hrs of labor if all goes well. I'll probably get this fixed to stock form & buy a manual model.

sonomaMINI

#54 ·
I'd be interested to hear what kind of trade in MINI would give you for your CVT for a new MINI Cooper Auto - especially if they had one on the lot that you'd be happy to have?

#57 ·
That has occurred to me. But as a former BMW service writer and sales-slime, I have very little confidence that it would be a good offer. :D SOP is to start with the wholesale value and subtract the retail repair price, likely ending up at about $5k for a car worth about $12k in good shape. Combine that with my uncommonly bad car-negotiating skills... I know better than to go to a dealership any more.

#56 ·
I hope that warranty on "a used CVT" is iron clad.

Forgive me for showing my ignorance, but if it's "used" then it's already got "miles on it" .... I'd also be interested to know if you can find out what year this used CVT is going to be...

My first MC CVT was an '04, I traded it just before 50k even though I never had a problem. That said, it didn't stop me from buying an '06 CVT because the theory I was working on was that the problems seemed to be pre '04... Honestly, if I could have I would have waited for a non CVT but the timing just wasn't right and I was too nervous to keep the '04 (as people like AprilWhine and others here could atest if they wanted to. :eek:)...so MINI made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Be careful about this "used CVT" - you might end up in the same position you're in now, down the line. Hopefully some others on the board who are very knowledgeable will pipe in with their expertise.

#58 ·
I hope that warranty on "a used CVT" is iron clad.

Forgive me for showing my ignorance, but if it's "used" then it's already got "miles on it" .... I'd also be interested to know if you can find out what year this used CVT is going to be...
<snip>
Be careful about this "used CVT" - you might end up in the same position you're in now, down the line. Hopefully some others on the board who are very knowledgeable will pipe in with their expertise.
That's all true. I've dealt with the dismantlers quite a bit. They do know what year a part is, how many miles on it, and they honor their warranties with no quibbling when they have a good history with the installing shop.

My trans is getting scary-noisy, so anything I put in will be better. I'll be up-front when I sell it and get a stick shift.

Sigh. I've been looking on Carmax & Vehix at commuting appliances, but when I look outside, I really want another Mini!

#59 ·
What have you gotten as a trade in for your current MINI for an '07, or haven't you asked? You might well be surprised. Go to at least two different dealers...

OK, so you're formerly "on the inside" - don't let that stop you. Around my area, if you go back to the dealer who you bought from - they will make you a good offer.

#60 ·
Time to check in again. MY MINI just passed 80,000 miles a couple of days ago and the CVT is still running fine. We've had a number of people report problems with their transmissions here and in other threads since I started this one about 10 months ago, but none of them were folks who had posted here before their CVTs developed problems. To the best of my knowledge none of the 18 MINIs that were "registered" here as having experienced no CVT problems have developed any. Is that still true? We've only heard back from a few of you. Nonsequitur, MiniRichmond, Tio Barry, Paul!, Willy, minitoo, Vanwall, JEFF10049, kgouin, ontheroadagain, strz0001, mini_macky, courtinnyc, DOT191, RobFriedman, jazmini, Aurel, are all your cars still running? What's your mileage now?

#61 ·
Good points. Well, I never had any issues with my '04 CVT but I did trade her in, last May, just shy of 50k miles- for another CVT, this time an '06 which now has about 21,000 miles on her. Honestly, I wish I'd kept the '04 because chances are she'd be at about 70 plus now and fine.

Hope we'll hear from more of the original CVTers. :)

#62 ·
Only 18000 miles in over four years now. I hate having no road or anywhere to go here...what a waste of a great little car. CVT is still original software (car has never been to a dealer for anything) and works incredibly well. I generally start out in SD or manual mode for fun (D is a bit slow) and slip over to D once up to speed. Average 32 mpg on every tank (calculated and the computer is always within .3) and if the road is at all wet the car will spin it's tires (195/60-15) starting out and at the 1-2 flick and shifts instantly on the manual up or down shifts. Maybe it has learned the way I like it but it has been a fantastic piece of engineering so far. I do have an R-Speed exhaust which did seem to help out with the low end torque. I will have to try to get some CVT oil up here some day to change out . Car is a 2/03 build and the only failure has been the HK amp. Did I say I like this car? Now where is the wood to beat upon.....

#63 ·
Bought in June '02, and just over 108,000 on her now. No real problems with the CVT, touch wood. Have a Remus exhaust and a ProMini intake that have added a little pep, but mostly it added a little grunt in the midrange. Not really fast off the line as we all know, but still very fun to Manual. Just recently went to Konig 15-inch Rewinds with Kumhos that I got at a Mazda speed shop, and the ride is improved considerably, altho not as quick on the turn in. One thing I noticed is how eerily efficient the CVT is two ways - in cruise-control, it's just so damn smooth with no stepping up and down to mar that - just plain eerie; and even tho I've added those engine mods, at freeway cruise speeds in 'D' it's always at the same RPM for a given speed as it was before the mods - just keeping the fuel mileage at optimum for me, I guess.

We just got back from our latest Border-to-Border-in-no-Particular-Order run up to Seattle and back, and had huge fun on Hwy 1 and the Oregon backroads. The paint is getting chipped up front pretty good, so I know it's well used. ;-) That all being said, I've come to the conclusion that the Cooper, and especially the CVT, is more of a one-person hoss, and riding two-up makes a considerable difference in the performance envelope. That's OK with me, as I spend a lot of time alone in Brooksie - wifey works in the opposite direction from me.

Only real problem is with the engine electronics, but not a serious one per se, just annoying. The check engine light comes on and the then limp mode happens a little too frequently, for no real reason that's apparent - I've had it in a few times to re-set it, and it seems to lead invariably to non-engine related charges, so I usually wait a day or so, or even only a few hours, and it re-sets itself - I had a word with a BMW service rep about this when we had our 325it in for service and he specifically mentioned the self-resetting aspect as very common, and they usually don't even charge for that - interesting MINI hasn't taken up this practice. I think it just gets to hot for the electronics under the bonnet and they get a little wacky.

All in all, still great fun, and I expect to motor on a considerable amount more.

BCNU,
Rob in ****.

#65 ·
Update I posted around 30K with no problems. Were now at 54k and no problems at all with the CVT. I am now doing my own cvt services every 15k I started sending out oil sample's after the dealer service at 30k and at 15k after the service they (TEXACO/chevron, Caterpillar, and Shaffer's) said the oil was starting to break down and become no good. So for our driving habits every 15k is when we need to service. Wish I had not went 30k on the first service now!

Also the castrol oil in the engine does not in any way last the 10k recommend service for us. Mostly highway driving around 300 miles per week so if your not sure how far to go on services send off some samples for analysis and see where your at. The castrol oil is shot at 5,000 miles in our mini it is no longer able to keep the important additives in suspension. And showing a high level or wear metals NOT GOOD! Tests were done by Texaco/Chevron, Caterpillar, and Shaffer's all showing very close to the same.
Shaffer's oil last for 7,500 in our mini and is in better shape than castrol at 5,000 mi. And no I don't work for Shaffer's I'm not a dealer or anything but they were doing oil analysis for me and asked me to try there oil so I did and I'm happy with it engine is much quieter thats got to be a good thing.
I have read a lot of arguments about how long between services to go on here but never anybody sending off samples to back there BS.
Jeff

#67 ·
2002 MINI Cooper CVT Indi Blue/Black

Thank you Sejanus; for being persistent and careful with this subject.

67,000 miles now. No mods, except wheels/tires and the visual-only exhaust extension. Our car continues to perform in all the ways we use it: daily driver in a congested commute, grocery runner, weekend exploring, regional business trips (weekly now), autocross, and track days. Each is very different demands and stresses.

No problems, except...

AM radio. Reception has become horrible, unusable at times, with strong interference (or more likely, a weak signal to the radio itself). MINI replaced the radio so it is new, replaced the entire wiring harness (that early issue with some cars), replaced the cables to the aerial and other components, and took the entire system out of the car (all components) to exercise the connections and confirm that everything was installed. "Work" seems to have an effect, but then it falls back to terrible. They've thrown their hands up several times, and just blamed AM generally as bad. As an old US Army Signal Corps guy, this bothers me because it must be fixable; it is either bad equipment, bad signal strength or bad grounding. MINI specifically went through the car and swears that grounding is not the issue. The radio is actually new. OK, that leaves signal so I am having the aerial replaced next. I enjoy NPR and my local jazz stations on FM, or a CD built from our collection, so this has been a project versus a crisis.

Vinyl seats. We're getting stress wear on the driver's seat in two places.

Vanwall's comment on the Cruise Control deserves some support. Spot on, Rob! On road performance is perhaps the best of any system we've owned. It is wonderfully smooth, which converts directly to comfort and fuel mileage. The round trip to Portland (about 400 miles) nearly every week now provides an opportunity to explore this subject. The CVT is what makes this work so well, a neat package. I've even reached my peace with the buttons.

And then for those who have followed us in this very early car through the threads of MINI2, we continue to track the car in car club events around the region. This activity does introduce wear on brakes, but there have been no problems that I can trace to heat or stress. We get the highest lowest gas mileage of anybody around us, about 11mpg typically.

I've become a serious fan of the MINI in the rain, on the track. With DSC off, CVT in Manual, the clutch-coupled gearbox can be driven Very Effectively in the corners and it is huge fun. The car can be throttle-steered, making small directional adjustments more precise than anyone's "automatic". Switching to SD on exit permits that phrase "turbine smooth acceleration" to apply in these low-grip conditions with full throttle, not advised in those other cars out there. Equalized! Car and Driver very clearly show in the rain.

We using purposed tires on purposed wheels. The commute and daily trips use the very light 5.5x15" 7-hole with Continentals package (26lbs, great wear but hard), autocross and track days are more fun on 6.5x16" wheels with Falkan Azenis (32lbs; wonderful predictable grip), and we got another set of 15" 7-hole wheels to mount Dunlop directional snow tires (30lbs; the MINI becomes a tractor). Wheel changes are easy on the MINI and we're enjoying having the right "shoes" for the job at hand.

The MINI still shines, with little real "competition" by small, nimble cars from other manufacturers - yet. I think BMW Group did a good job! Ours continues to perform.

#71 ·
No problems, except...

AM radio. Reception has become horrible, unusable at times, with strong interference (or more likely, a weak signal to the radio itself). MINI replaced the radio so it is new, replaced the entire wiring harness (that early issue with some cars), replaced the cables to the aerial and other components, and took the entire system out of the car (all components) to exercise the connections and confirm that everything was installed. "Work" seems to have an effect, but then it falls back to terrible. They've thrown their hands up several times, and just blamed AM generally as bad. As an old US Army Signal Corps guy, this bothers me because it must be fixable; it is either bad equipment, bad signal strength or bad grounding. MINI specifically went through the car and swears that grounding is not the issue. The radio is actually new. OK, that leaves signal so I am having the aerial replaced next. I enjoy NPR and my local jazz stations on FM, or a CD built from our collection, so this has been a project versus a crisis.
I had the exact same problem and for me it was a crisis since the Giants broadcast on AM. It was espeically bad on that station in fact since it was broadcasting from the Bay Area. The first time Niello had a go at it they seemed to have fixed it, but then it started acting up again. Second time they fixed it and it has so far it's been good since May. The problem is I'm not sure what they did to fix it, and frankly I got the impression they weren't too sure what they had done either. I'll try and see if I can find out for you.