MINI Cooper Forum banner

Removing tar and scratches from white wheels

9K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  gnoomusmaximus 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I was was wondering if anyone with white powder coated alloys knows of an effective way of removing tar? i have lots of little black dots, especially in the corners of the alloys that wont budge even with tar remover. On the occasion a bit will come loose when aggitated but scratches the surface:( I had a special brush for cleaning alloys and this has caused lots of scratches too:eek: it went in the bin, but i have a feeling im going to be told of by lots of people for using it! I guess i might just have to get them refurbished!

James.

#4 ·
If there really bad.

1, get a decent dedicated wheel cleaner, give a wheel at a time a good soak leave for a minute, then agigtate with a brush or cloth. Rinse.
2,use a clay bar as mentioned, spray the lubricant on the wheel and then use the clay as described n the wheels.
3 if needed use the wheel cleaner again.

That should bring them up good as new and save you £50 per wheel on a refurb.

To keep them looking good, wash them regulary and give them a coat of wax which will make them easier to wash each time.

Scott

#6 ·
To remove tar you need to apply a solvent rather than by abrasion, otherwise you will damage the surface you are cleaning.

A claybar used in conjunction with polish is for the removal of contaminants on the paintwork i.e. dead insects and road film. It's not for tar removal !!!

To successfully remove tar you need to use a suitable solvent designed for this purpose, especially with alloy wheels otherwise you will damage the lacquer surface.

#7 ·
To remove tar you need to apply a solvent rather than by abrasion, otherwise you will damage the surface you are cleaning.

A claybar used in conjunction with polish is for the removal of contaminants on the paintwork i.e. dead insects and road film. It's not for tar removal !!!

To successfully remove tar you need to use a suitable solvent designed for this purpose, especially with alloy wheels otherwise you will damage the lacquer surface.
I agree with you in saying a tar remover will do the job but if you are saying that claying you wheels will damage them and will not do the job then you are wrong.......

What are wheels, white wheels covered in...? Paint.... what is tar? A bonded contaminent, Whats a clay bar designed for?....... Removing Bonded contaminents. Doing this WILL NOT Damage the laquer surface and is OK to use on wheels.

A clay bar comes in different grades of Aggressiveness, Meguiars is a low down on the chart of Aggressivenes.

A clay bar can be used on paintwork, wheels, glass and it will make them feel smooth as glass when done, tar does not just apear on wheels this apears on paintwork also, and in my detailing routine i dont use a tar remover as the Clay bar does the job, i.e remove Bonded contaminents which is what tar is.

Road film and dead insects are Fresh contaminents and these will be rid of with a good wash technique. Bonded contaminents are Industrial fallout, Tree sap, Baked on brake dust, and these require a clay bar to remove them.

So, Claying will not Damage your wheels,after this i do recommend giving them a polish and a wax to protect them as a clay bar removes any type of protection there is on the wheel or paintwork.

Hope that helps

Scott

#12 ·
Beg to differ, a Clay Bar is used in conjunction with a polish....otherwise it will not move smoothly over the surface. I use Meguiars products and that's what they recommend and it works OK.
How do you work that out?

A Meguiars clay bar is suppiled with a lubricant not a polish at all.

I doubt at all and i disagree 100% that they do not recomment that.

Like i said Polish is an abrasive which flattens the surface to remove surface imperfections.

A clay bar removes bonded contaminents to "Prepare" the surface for polishing, glazing, sealing and finally waxing!

I doubt in my 12hour details i do to mine and other peoples cars im going wrong, if i am then i need to no were. :confused::D

#11 ·
caesar, you're wrong i'm afraid

Meg's dont recommend claying before every polish - if you do that you're seriously misguided i'm afraid.

both myself and Scotty are kinda beyond Meg's products now :p
just read what you put... you dont use polish to make the claybar glide over the paintwork :hmph: what you're thinking of is Meg's Quik Detailer, which is by no means a polish.

#13 ·
caesar, you're wrong i'm afraid

Meg's dont recommend claying before every polish - if you do that you're seriously misguided i'm afraid.

both myself and Scotty are kinda beyond Meg's products now :p
Im confused now, caeser are you saying that you apply polish to the surface so that clay moves smoothly and correctly, or like rec says use a clay bar everytime you polish:confused:

Well TBH your wrong in either case.

#15 ·
Wow thanks guys, I went to Halfrauds and asked the guy what he suggested, he said white polish and a chapstick...honestly it doesnt work! The tar is slowly coming off with tar and bug remover but are you saying all I need is a clay bar to treat the tar and scratches?

#19 ·
aaah, i just re-read what you said... sorry mate i thought you were implying that i was implying that you clay always before polish.

man, i really should screw my damn head on sometimes. what a prune i am :p

but yeah, we're both in agreement that caesar is wrong !

#20 ·
aaah, i just re-read what you said... sorry mate i thought you were implying that i was implying that you clay always before polish.

man, i really should screw my damn head on sometimes. what a prune i am :p

but yeah, we're both in agreement that caesar is wrong !
lol Thats it, you thought i was implying that you were implying that i said you were implying that meguiars imply that you use a polish as a lubricant lol :confused::D;)

Dont take this to heart caeser, i just had to set things straight as these forums are open to anyone and the info needs to be correct.

Scotty ;)

#22 ·
Thanks ScootyBoy230.

To clarify matters: -

a) The Meguirs Clay Bar is used in conjunction with their Quick Detailer for preparing neglected paintwork prior to polishing..... Note the term 'neglected'. My mistake, as I said with Polish!

b) As regards removing Tar from paintwork/wheels, then you could use a Clay Bar, but a tar remover solvent would be easier and quicker.

c) Personally I use Turtle Wax Bug/Tar Tissues for removing Tar (especiall on the wheels) and Clay Bar + Quick Detailer for marks on the paintwork.

d) If 'C' above does not solve the problem, then Turtle Wax 'Safe Cut' ........a very mild form of T-Cut.

As regards protecting the paintwork from new, then I find Meguiars Carnuba Wax excellent, and it lasts for months.

The main problem I find when polishing the MCS, is that it get's on the black vinyl trim of the wheel arches and sills and is difficult to remove. Peanut butter will remove it, but I also tried Meguiars 'Natural Shine Vinyl & Rubber Protectant'. This really enhances the appearance, but you need to use 2-coats and let it set before driving in heavy rain!

#23 ·
Thanks ScootyBoy230.

To clarify matters: -

a) The Meguirs Clay Bar is used in conjunction with their Quick Detailer for preparing neglected paintwork prior to polishing..... Note the term 'neglected'. My mistake, as I said with Polish!

b) As regards removing Tar from paintwork/wheels, then you could use a Clay Bar, but a tar remover solvent would be easier and quicker.

c) Personally I use Turtle Wax Bug/Tar Tissues for removing Tar (especiall on the wheels) and Clay Bar + Quick Detailer for marks on the paintwork.

d) If 'C' above does not solve the problem, then Turtle Wax 'Safe Cut' ........a very mild form of T-Cut.

As regards protecting the paintwork from new, then I find Meguiars Carnuba Wax excellent, and it lasts for months.

The main problem I find when polishing the MCS, is that it get's on the black vinyl trim of the wheel arches and sills and is difficult to remove. Peanut butter will remove it, but I also tried Meguiars 'Natural Shine Vinyl & Rubber Protectant'. This really enhances the appearance, but you need to use 2-coats and let it set before driving in heavy rain!
Glad we got that cleared up lol....

So now "a" is very true

EDIT
B, True but it is a matter of opinion and severity of the tar, mild tar spots maybe but if the wheels are truely baked then id agree to dissagree. TBH ive left my wheels for a while before and Megs all wheel cleaner is good enough with a bit of elbow grease.

C, TBH, id never buy a product in the turtle wax range as i dont rate it at all anymore, from the hours of reading and the range of products i have, and the reading of profesional's write ups etc id mainly only have mail order products. apart from megs stuff and some autoglym from halfrauds.

But thats a matter of opinion lol

#25 ·
tar stains and their solution

hello car lovers

since i was on a newly made highway a while ago got me a shitload of tardrops on my carbody and alot more on the wheels

after googling this problem i found that a petroleum based cleaner is a good solution
however when you live on a tiny island called kohphangan in thailand most products are simply not for sale
alternative is kerosine very easy to get here !

i know in the rest of the more civilised world you can not buy this easily like me in a vegatable shop but i know that basic lampoil is practilly the same

and guys and girls i tried this allready and it works very very well in seconds it was gone on my wheels and car body the same whit funny dried in drops from some funky three i used to park under

and so far no dammage on the paint but after cleaning get rid of the remains with water and soap
also becarrefull not to get it on the tires

many greets to all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.