MINI Cooper Forum banner

2010 Mini Cooper S Review

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  jasonward69 
#1 ·
Hi guys/girls I recently wrote a Car review on my 2010 MCS for one of my courses and wanted to know what you think of it. So if you have any comments/suggestions feel free to say them... I just wont accept ones that have to hate on my work etc...

Enjoy the read :)

A CAR THAT CAN PACK A PUNCH AND DOES NOT BRUISE YOUR WALLET

MINI is a small fun, front-wheel drive car that was built by the British Motor Corporation from 1959 until 2000. The original MINI is considered as the second most influential vehicle of all time. The first being the famous Ford Model T. After MINI shut down in 2001, BMW bought the MINI marquee and started reproducing it but with a beer loving heart. To this day, the MINI Cooper that we all know have been sold worldwide with BMW selling an all-time high of 300000 in 2013.
Now to what is the topic of this article; the MINI Cooper S. To be exact, my 2010 MINI Cooper S. As I do not have any experience in writing reviews, I just cannot walk into any car dealership and ask to borrow a car for a day or two.
So let’s get started, shall we.
The 2010 MINI Cooper and MINI Cooper S fall in the platform R56 which was produced from 2007 until 2013, where they ended a great platform with a limited edition MINI Cooper John Cooper Works GP. Only 2000 were sold worldwide. The platform gives the MINI a 1.6L Inline 4 that is turbocharged with a K27 turbocharger. The engine produces 172hp at 5500RPM and 177ft/lbs at 1600RPM. The engine like a hamster is always ready for more and the car is as quick as a hare off the line. By simply pushing on the right pedal in 5th gear at 100km/h, 140km/h comes pretty quickly for this little car. The exhaust on the MINI Cooper S is a dual rear exhaust coming out of the middle. I should mention that the MINI comes with either a six speed automatic or manual. Of course if you’re a real car enthusiast, you will take the manual. And if you don’t, I would start sleeping with your eyes open as the souls of past car enthusiast will come chasing yours. The MINI comes standard with 16inch alloy wheels and run-flat tires and you have an option for 17’s as well. Mine has 17’s with Pirelli Pzero Rosso. The car is standardly equipped with Auxiliary audio input and AM/FM radio as well as six Harman Kardon speakers and subwoofers. The loud factor is up there and when you crank of the music, you can most definitely feel the bass in your legs as you drive. This is helped by the fact that the car is a small two-door hatchback and the sound waves cannot move that far from the individual. The navigation is optional and to be honest, I really would not want it because it spoils the cars ‘piece de resistance’ which is the speedometer. It sits in the middle of the dash and everyone notices its large circular shape. The size of it basically the size of Kanye’s ego when he goes to bed. It’s what makes it different and unique compared to other vehicles.
Getting into the Mini takes a bit of adjusting if you’re used to SUV’s or larger sedans. But don’t get me wrong, that moment you press the START/STOP ignition button, the slight issues you had getting in disappear like boiling H2O particles in a hot pot. The car can pack a punch of fun and make you smile, even if you mood is dampened by the realisation that the Seattle Seahawks gave away their second Super Bowl ring. Getting through your neighbourhood or local city, the MINI is very easy to drive and shifting through the gears is not enduring because the clutch pedal is really easy. This is a great bonus in my books because it makes driving in traffic easier compared to driving in traffic in a Lamborghini Countach or Miura. On the highway the MINI has enough power and torque to get you from point A to B with the bonus of a smile. The smile factor is added in simply because the car is quick, nimble, accurate and predictable. This is helped by the fact that its curb weight is 2700lbs with you in it. It makes the motion of passing a semi very easy, fast and safe. Albeit, there are quicker cars like a BMW M4 or Audi RS7, those are not the same type of vehicle as the MINI and therefore should not be compared to with it. As a matter of fact, my completely stock 2010 MINI Cooper S can pack a punch in drag races from 0-50km/h at red lights. It has beaten a Mazda RX8, many Honda Civic Si’s, a Hyundai Genesis and older generation Golf’s. So your rust-bucket of an aftermarket 5 inch exhaust is not intimidating at all. This however brings in an important factor in my review where I should mention the sacred button of all petrol-heads. The ‘Sport’ button. As in some cars that I have driven, the sport button is quite deceiving and the car does not feel any different at all. For example, the 2nd generation Porsche Cayenne is a good one, where only the acceleration is tighter whereas the rest of the car still feels very “floaty” at high speeds. The sport button in the MINI though, firms up the already sporty suspension, tightens up the throttle to remove any turbo lag and sharpens the steering. All that added up gives the MINI Cooper S a 0-100 time of 6.2 seconds.
The MINI is extremely comfortable through tight or long corners, which makes it as easy to drive at high speeds as cooking pasta. I drove a few weekends ago from Montreal to Mont-Tremblant and I literally had a blast going through the off camber corners and hitting every apex at speeds 30% higher than the speed limit. You can figure that specific number out for yourself. The car always felt planted even over bumpy patches in the road and there was never a feeling of losing grip. The Pirelli Pzero Rosso’s stuck to the ground and gave me confidence to go faster each time. The turning input was so little and the car felt on rails. The brakes are very good for a light car and I did not feel any fade in the brakes. The ride was comfortable and the seat kept me in place while I was driving. I do however have to gripe about the seats during long distance driving because they can get uncomfortable. But then again, they are sport seats and not Cadillac cloud seats.
As I finish this review for my readers, I would like to mention quickly a few more pros and some cons on the car before I save this file and go for dinner.
Pros: very good turning radius, very good fuel consumption for a fun little car (27mgp city and 35mpg highway) and finally, to have the ability to drive at high speeds, go 750km in distance and pay 50$ in gas.
Cons: exhaust is a tad quiet (I would invest in a proper aftermarket exhaust system like Quicksilver, saves weight and gives a few more hp) and sometimes the Bluetooth does not work

For the readers that might be interested in a MINI Cooper, I would suggest the Cooper S, the power addition is better and overall a better car. Prices are affordable at around 12-22 thousand for a used one (2 years old minimum). Remember this has a German heart and runs on 89 Octane or higher, and always before you buy inspect the vehicle inside and out. Many small hidden information could cause you to have an expensive relationship with your car. If you plan on tracking the car I would recommend changing the brake pads to some that are meant for better track use. On the side note, this car is great in the winter as well; I run 16’s and have never gotten stuck in snow.

See less See more
#7 ·
Hi Richard735. Very interesting to read the review and to hear that your obviously happy with the car. I'd been keen to hear more about your Harman Kardon stereo. I've just put a deposit on a 2013 Cooper S with HK and it's good to hear you say positive things about it's sound.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.