MINI Cooper Forum banner

Oil Light Doesn't Illuminate - Problem??

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  SiGreenwood72 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I’m not sure if I’ve got a fault oil pressure sensor or not so I thought I’d ask you guys…

In short the oil light on my dash NEVER comes on.

I have the OEM sat nav screen in the centre of my dash so have two dials behind the steering wheel.

I know the light works as it illuminates orange and also red when I operate the dials test (test 2 in the internal “secret” menu). Therefore no unscrupulous previous owner has blacked it out.

The photo is of the car with the ignition on (engine not running) the red arrow shows the oil light position. It doesn’t illuminate when I start the engine either.

I tried disconnecting the oil pressure sensor on the oil filter housing and running the car to see if that makes it illuminate, but it doesn’t.

I’m surprised this didn’t cause any issues but the car is showing no error codes.

Am I right thinking the oil light should come on momentarily when the ignition and engine are turned on, then go out?

Needles to say there is the correct amount of oil in the car according to the dip stick.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance good people.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
"Am I right thinking the oil light should come on momentarily when the ignition and engine are turned on, then go out?"

Yes as the video below shows

Bit of a while since you posted this but did you ever find why the oil light never came on? I’ve got the same problem. I suspect a dodgy sensor as the light has very briefly come on a couple of times but normally never comes on at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.