MINI Cooper Forum banner

MINI Triumph?

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  dalboyne 
#1 ·
Hi nice forum. This is my first post so here goes. I heard from a fairly reliable source that BMW's Californian design studios have been designing a Triumph Sportscar (along the lines of the TR5) on the MINI floorpan. Apparantly BMW may be considering moving MINI into it's own showrooms and selling a new range of Triumph's alongside. The new Triumph's would also share many of MINI's components. Now I'm fairly desparate to own a new Triumph, particually if it's designed as well as the new MINI's. I'm so keen I've already saved a deposit, just in case. Does anyone know if BMW plan to make this car or is it all just a pipe dream? I really want one...

#10 ·
Well the latest is that a MINI SUV could be on the way as well as a MINI 'Maxi'. This will use a versatile floorpan that can take 4wd technology. Therefore I supect a RWD Triumph or a Triumph 'Quatro' is entierly feasable....

Personally I think it would be better to relaunch the Triumph brand on a Sportscar than to use the MINI brand simply because MINI will need to survive in separate showrooms to BMW. Having a sister brand that coud eventually spawn a new Dolomite or a new 2000 would be good news for the dealers and good news for their customers. MINI may be a little bit vulnerable if it has to support an entire dealer network all by itself....

#12 ·
This topic was closely watched by the Triumph crowd since it surfaced as a rumour late last Summer. There was even talk about an announcement from BMW at an event this Fall (didn't happen :frown: ). The story is that the US dealers weren't happy about BMW creating more competiton for them by reviving another defunct marque.

I belong to both "tribes" as I also have a TR3A and a TR6 and have been active in Triumph clubs for many years now. I just got my SB/S 2006 MC in October 2006 and have been having a blast ever since learning about the car and the lively community of owners here in cyber-space.

It's too bad that the market for LBCs isn't strong enough to support both MINI and Triumph.:sad9cd:

#13 ·
Triumph Revival?

Bring it on, I say!

My first ever car was a Triumph 1300 (FWD, even had real wood on the dashboard and doors). I always hankered after a Triumph Herald Convertible, but by the time I could afford one, it was totally impractical. So I have a MINI Cabrio for the moment.....but prepared to consider the alternatives!

Ian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.