MINI Cooper Forum banner

Delivery date error resulted in £60 insurance admin fee

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  mouseman87 
#1 ·
hey all!

A while ago i saw a used(about 4 weeks old) Cooper S advertised at a main Mini dealer - the spec was good the price was good so i went for it, i knew at the time and the dealer explained to me as it was a demo vehicle i wouldn't be able to have it till Dec due to the demo terms and conditions but at the low price and high spec etc. i accepted this!

The dealer offered me a collection date in mid Dec which i accepted.

The problem comes when the dealer phoned me the night before i was due to collect and said 'we can't let this car go yet due to the 3 month demo terms' this resulted in me having to pay 3 administration fees to my insurance company that added up to a total of around £60!

I don't feel i should be footing the bill for there error in delivery date! I did let the dealer know i wasen't at all happy and they assured me they certainly wouldn't be paying the £60 fee for there mistake! They offered me an ipod cable!(although there £40/50) which i don't think is acceptable at all! So i left it as sort something out on or before the day!

What do you guys think? should i be paying for the dealers mistake?

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#5 ·
Insurance administration charges for changing the vehicle on my policy.

I did check with my insurers(admiral) and they said it was £17.50 or £18.50(can't remember which 1 exactly) everytime i wished to change my vehicle as they have to send a new insurance certificate/documents out.

therefore 1 change for the orginal date = 1 x £18.50

changing back to my old car when i as informed of the date error = 1 x £18.50

and finally of course giving the correct date of the new car = 1 x £18.50

i guess its really £40 in admin fees as i would have to pay for 1 change anyway, but still shouldn't have to pay £40 for the dealers error!

#6 ·
Why are dealers so thick? They're not willing to sacrifice £40 on a several thousand pound deal in order to ensure their customers are fully satisfied and return for servicing, parts and future cars! I suppose that's not the way the sales team are rewarded.

Even so, despite the lack of a written delivery date, you should be able to reclaim the money off them - just make a fuss until they do!

#7 ·
I know! i must say i was very very suprised when the dealer refused to pay for the mistake made by themselves! all they offered was an ipod cable! which i don't think is acceptable really so i refused it! so i said il leave you to sort something before the delivery date (which is next week).............i am buying a £20k Cooper S from them! so you would have thought they'd be very very careful not to lose a sale!

Yes as you say i wouldn't have another car from them of use them for servicing unless they sort this out to an equal standard of what they owe!

Even better they told me to phone up mini 7 day driveaway insurance 4 my own(current Cooper D) car! which i did and they refused to do it! suprise suprise! although its not there fault its the dealer so i can't really blame mini insurance for that!

I'l just have to see what happens i guess!

#8 ·
If you've not paid yet and haven't put any sort of non recoverable deposit down, tell the dealer you don't want the car. If they're going to be ****y about re-imbursing you for a mistake they made, they're probably going to be pretty bad at honouring things like warranty claims etc. so you'd more than likely end up happier in the long run buying elsewhere.

#9 ·
Hi

Yes i have paid a £500 deposit which they said they wouldn't refund, if i was to cancel the deal!

with regards to warranty cliams etc. luckily there not my local dealer, so i won't be using them for warranty cliams or servicing etc. anyway. Only reason i bought a car from them was the price was at least £1K-£2K lower than my local dealer for the same spec etc. and they offered the same money for my part ex(Cooper D).

Even better ive now discovered the dealer is actually closed from early xmas eve till the day i am due to collect the car! how will having a car sat on site doing nothing benefit them!? Bet someones takes it home or something as it will be taxed etc. if its a demo!

but hey like i say have to see what they come up with on the day!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.