MINI Cooper Forum banner

head unit advice

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  k3fus 
#1 · (Edited)
Good afternoon.

I've got an R53 cooper works S with Harmann kardon etc.

I'm after advice as to whether stick with the original headunit and fit an xcarlink unit to allow me to use iphone etc or if there is a decent looking single din headunit that people can recommend for doubling up as a phone, mp3 player etc.

Not after a cheap and cheerful unit, would like something that will be compatible with the HK ( although I've been told I may need to fit and enabler)

Pioneer/Alpine/Kenwood etc.

any advice greatly appreciated.

Ben

#2 ·
Personally I'd upgrade to an after market unit. There is a thread in here regarding head units so have a wee search for it and you'll quickly find it, that way you can make your own mind up. My head unit in my R50 is a Pure Highway H260 DAB/Bluetooth etc from Halfords and the sound is amazing and the bluetooth works perfect with my Android phone plus you can change the colours of the lights etc but like I say have a wee search for that thread and make up your own mind :)

P.s you will also need an adaptor kid if you upgrade to an after market stereo. Click here This kit comes with both adaptors i.e round or square pins depending on what your car has :)

#5 ·
more questions on headunit

I've had a good look about and this unit has caught my eye

Alpine CDA-137BTi - CD/MP3/USB/Bluetooth Ready Tuner

I would provide a link however I need to post 15 times first.

It is on the caraudiosecurity.com website

Nice display and seems to have all the features I need.

However........ it says only compatible up to iphone 4s? Is this because it's and older model or will the iphone 5/6 still work with it?

Also I noticed only few headunits are DAB, this unit looking at the spec is not, is DAB a nice to have or unnecessary in a car?

Cheers

Ben::wink::

#6 ·
I can't answer your questions on the said head unit Ben but as for having DAB in the car then for an old boiler like me it is a necessity as I'm stuck in the 1980's and today's pop music or whatever they call it is utter rank, well most of it is anyway lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.