Australia For Australian social and region specific discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2017, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 07:18 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

R56 replacement cylinder head?

Hi guys - we have a 2007 R56 Cooper S that has decided to throw a timing chain, the well known death rattle. Only 60,000kms on it. Not happy. In the garage now getting diagnosed.

Does anyone know where I could obtain a new/reconditioned valve head in Australia for one of these? I'm wondering if that might be cheaper than trying to disassemble and repair the old one.

Any pointers would be great - I've tried minisport.com.au but they didn't have anything.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2017, 11:11 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Best to wait and see what other damage has been done before skooting off and buying a new head.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2017, 03:10 AM
MINI Technician Sydney

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Australia Male

Have you had this fixed already? I can fix it, replace all the timing chain parts and have the head re-valved and machined

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2017, 08:45 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by idwyer1977 View Post
Hi guys - we have a 2007 R56 Cooper S that has decided to throw a timing chain, the well known death rattle. Only 60,000kms on it. Not happy. In the garage now getting diagnosed.

Does anyone know where I could obtain a new/reconditioned valve head in Australia for one of these? I'm wondering if that might be cheaper than trying to disassemble and repair the old one.

Any pointers would be great - I've tried minisport.com.au but they didn't have anything.

Cheers
i have done hundreds of them and i mean hundreds of these prince engines over the years with top guide fails and takes out the chain it bends all the valves,,, very very rarely snaps the valves off if snaps then then piston and head damage with be big,,, but the norm is it just bends the valves,, the best fix in this case is to replace the bent valves thats all it will need as long as no broken off ones.. i got a 207gti at moment it done its chain at around 6000 revs, all it has done is all the valves bent,, only issue you may get is your garage might not want to stand by a repair and add a load of if and maybe reasons that a repair is no good and better to buy a new engine,, i have never had one car back due to any connected issue with replacing valves ie a repair, also never have had a valve guide damage either

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in