LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2016, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 11:12 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

2010 Mini Stalling at Idle

Hey all,

I have a 2010 Mini coupe with a idle stall issue. Just started occurring 2 days ago on the way home from work. My drive is around an hour, and the issue didn't appear until about 15 minutes before home. When I came to a stoplight and clutch engaged, the idle would fall and fluctuate between 300-750 rpm. Not sure what typical idle rpm is for mini's 750? If i applied the gas slightly to boost the rpm, the car would just stall. Happened again on the way to work. Took to the dealer to look into it and the advisor mentioned a few things that i'm leary about.

1. The oil was low, and he mentioned that this may be the culprit. Needed an oil change anyway, but if the oil was low would this not be a persistent issue all the time? (when cold the car doesn't have the issue, only seems after it's warm), I only use synthetic oil as well. They haven't gotten back to me yet on any other issues.
2. Related to the oil issue, I asked as to why the oil was low, did they see a leak anywhere? Didn't see a leak, but he said that it burns oil......to the fact that Mini's burn oil in general. I can understand if a little oil gets burnt, but to burn an excess? it was low a couple months ago which I corrected). Anyone comment on this? I'm new to BMW cars, but mini's burning oil more than others?? I'm also a retired technician but worked exclusively on domestics. I don't see blue smoke out the exhaust at any time, plugs are also clean. Also no Check engine light comes on, and there are no stored/pending codes off the obd reader. There was a P0012 code a while back which cleared (cam sensor over retarded)

I've read some posts about the fuel tank breather valve/purge valve but unsure

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2016, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

The Prince engine is renouned for drinking it's oil..

Just a thirsty motor

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2016, 06:06 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 04:12 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Canada Male View beken's Black-Eye Purple & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

From experience, all BMW engines drink a bit of oil. You need to check your oil level at least monthly. My MINI uses about a litre of oil every 3 months. My BMW uses maybe a litre every 2-3 months.

Having said that, your engine probably should not stall if the oil goes low unless your car goes into limp mode. Your low oil indicator should come on first. Intermittent dropping of revs while idling suggests you might have a vacuum leak somewhere. Check all your hoses.

If the stalling is not intermittent, check your fuel pump. MINIs use a high pressure fuel pump. Mine lasted 8 years, then simply died. You should change your fuel filter at least once every 5 years (though MINI service says they are "lifetime").
Milpol likes this.

05MCS BEP Alta 22mm rear anti-swaybar, Madness CAI, Alta 15%, NGK BRK7EQUP, M7 Strut Tower Reinforcement plates

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2016, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in