LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 12:43 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Revchap ...

Dude I'm so sorry I've only just seen your post from Nov 2010, came back on the site because I received a friend request today from someone with the same issue...I hope you got your problem sorted but please let me know if you're still looking for advice and please accept my apologies for apparently ignoring your request for help..

Last edited by MINIAC; Mar 24th, 2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2015, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My 2008 and 2010 have both consumed a quart of oil every 750 or so miles. Yes, the oil stick is a pain. You need to have good light because what you are looking for is two things. . . the dot near the pointy end should be full of oil and not reflecting back any light. Secondly, there is a "pebbly" surface on the rubber part. If you can see the texture, there is no oil on it. Sometimes there will be oil on one side but not all of the way around. Wherever you see pebbly surface at the lowest point on the stick is where the level is.

I have one valve that started clacking regularly after BMW replaced my whole timing assembly for the second time. Someone said it is probably a warped valve (or. . piston?). I know nothing about engines. If someone could give me an opinion on this, and whether I should consider trading in my car (which I love) before my 100k warranty wears out, I would appreciate it!

Last edited by Heaven; May 18th, 2015 at 01:07 AM. Reason: typos
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2015, 06:18 PM
RDD
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
My 2008 and 2010 have both consumed a quart of oil every 750 or so miles. Yes, the oil stick is a pain. You need to have good light because what you are looking for is two things. . . the dot near the pointy end should be full of oil and not reflecting back any light. Secondly, there is a "pebbly" surface on the rubber part. If you can see the texture, there is no oil on it. Sometimes there will be oil on one side but not all of the way around. Wherever you see pebbly surface at the lowest point on the stick is where the level is.

I have one valve that started clacking regularly after BMW replaced my whole timing assembly for the second time. Someone said it is probably a warped valve (or. . piston?). I know nothing about engines. If someone could give me an opinion on this, and whether I should consider trading in my car (which I love) before my 100k warranty wears out, I would appreciate it!
Last post March 2011

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2017, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Not all cars burn oil. These are by far the worst I've ever encountered. My 1974 Chevy Vega would use a quart at 1000 miles like clockwork. I think that engine had a design award back then too. This one gets about 500 miles on a quart. I check it every week for usage. I'm thinking of changing the turbocharger as it looks damp by the waste gate.

THE BEST car I've had is a 1985 VW Jetta. That never used a drop with over 400,000 miles on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , , , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in