Help! Just got 06 cooper and I have overheating issues and see too many nightmares!! - MINI Cooper Forum
Dealership Feedback Discuss your experiences with MINI dealers worldwide

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2017, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 01:52 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United States Female

Help! Just got 06 cooper and I have overheating issues and see too many nightmares!!

I work at a Volkswagen dealership and I'm not wanting to get a tech to charge me 3-3.5 hours to change my fan resistor and I'm not convinced that's the problem. Since they're not used to working on these cars, I don't want to play the guessing game on their clock. Would I be able to do it myself? Do I have to go into service mode? What is a feasible time frame to do this? I also noticed that the small connector for the high speed fan is not plugged into anything. Logic tells me it should be. Is that correct?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2017, 11:01 AM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 07:52 PM
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)

England Male

If you complete your details fully, we'll al be able to see roughly where you are. Might help. So they look like this:

NigelK
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 10:55 AM
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)

England Male

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2017, 01:37 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minibooboo82 View Post
I work at a Volkswagen dealership and I'm not wanting to get a tech to charge me 3-3.5 hours to change my fan resistor and I'm not convinced that's the problem. Since they're not used to working on these cars, I don't want to play the guessing game on their clock. Would I be able to do it myself? Do I have to go into service mode? What is a feasible time frame to do this? I also noticed that the small connector for the high speed fan is not plugged into anything. Logic tells me it should be. Is that correct?
in my experience with buying cars that have fan disconnected chances are its because when there are other problems the ecu switch the fans on as a fail safe in some cases,, first off need to find where its meant to be plugged in to and plug it in check the fan fuses,, after that volt meter and go find the voltage on the fan circuit,, you could do with autocom cdp plus or inpa cdp i use mostly as its easy platform and you can switch on or off a number of circuits via the laptop so can send a live down the fan circuit without starting car,, this is good for finding the issues,, common issues are temp sensor, fan resistor which can be tested easy ie voltage to and non after between the fan motor and it then resistor is at fault, also probe a 12v from battery to fan so if turns that will rule out or in the fan. also can run car with aircon on and fan should cut in if dont then chances are fan motor or resistor or ecu control ,, like pretty much everything on modern cars need a dealer level diagnostics plug in scan,

good tuners/repairs in southwest uk top guys 01579388980
good tuner/ecu body control clones etc lancaster up north uk DALE PHONE NUMBER 07807 222262 top guy.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2018, 07:17 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That is a very good info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in