LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2004, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
The Melon Mobile

Local Time: 04:33 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United States

United-States Bad Service Experience at Motor City Mini

Hi all, I will be as succinct as possible. I purchased my mini out of state, (Reside in Michigan-purchased in Ohio). I received wonderful service at Midwestern Auto Group in Columbus. Since living in Detroit I inquired with local owners about Midwestern Mini’s Service Department. Every, Mini owner I spoke with gave them a bad review, along with this group, and another internet group. Many owners said they take their car out of state to be serviced or drive over to Canada. The complaints are wide ranging including customer service, time, and workmanship.

My mini shortly after I bought it had a small problem with the lights and windows (it has since been self corrected, perhaps frozen water on a circuit somewhere). I contacted Midwestern Mini and spoke with the Service Manager: Bill H. The earliest date they could get me in was after 10 days after my call (and I had only owned the car 19 days). I told the service manager that I was looking forward to repairing my Mini and I communicated my hope for a productive relationship. I also communicated that our relationship should start off on the right foot, but that I was concerned by what I had heard in the community. I felt communicating this would be honest and insure customer service, since there are so many concerns and bad experiences that have been communicated to me.

Bill H. told me since I had not been there, then I did not know what I was talking about. I communicated to him that word of mouth advertising positive or negative is not good. It should not have to take a visit to have concerns. I again communicated that we should have a productive and positive relationship, but that their reputation concerns me, and I was looking forward to giving them a chance. Bill H. said I had a chip on my shoulder and should take the Mini back to Ohio (This is Customer Service?).

I promptly hung up and called the General Manager of Midwestern, who apologized profusely for the Service Manager’s Behavior. After many apologies and agreeing with me that my concerns were both valid and gracious to give them a try despite their reputation. He assured me I would receive the best service, and would be there personally.

The problem with my mini corrected itself, and was likely the result of a car wash which froze a circuit. The problem corrected itself upon warmer weather and has since gone away. Until my scheduled Oil Change, I should not have to visit Midwestern’s Service Department, thank goodness?

I will go to Midwestern’s Department for my Oil Change in another 8000+ Miles. When I do, I will post another message relaying my customer service experience.

What do you all think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2004, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
The Melon Mobile

United States

CORRECTON to Bad service at MOTOR CITY MINI

oops subsitute the words midwestern mini...for motor city mini, midwestern is great,
motor city is the problem, especially the service manager Bill Donahue

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2004, 01:41 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member
Sponsor/Moderator/Other

Local Time: 03:33 PM

United States View stryder's Hyper Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

You can edit your own posts, just click the edit button on the lower right of the post you want to edit, and you can fix anything you messed up at any time.

(Sorry to hear about your bad news though...)

Magic 8-ball was correct. All be in awe of Magic 8 ball.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2004, 12:43 AM
Slippery When Wet

Local Time: 03:33 PM

United States Female View ImaVunDerBrah's Black-Eye Purple & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Send a message via AIM to ImaVunDerBrah Send a message via Yahoo to ImaVunDerBrah
I'm sorry to hear that your experience with Motor City Mini wasn't a positive one.

I ordered my MINI from Motor City and have returned there for service. I recently took mine in for its first scheduled service (oil change as well as comp update and a look at some of the issues I'd been having). Everything went quite well. We dropped the car off at 9:00 in the morning and were called around noon saying everything had been completed. I will admit, they ARE a busy dealership, but I have NEVER had a problem with calling, service, or any individuals there.

I originally joined this forum because I read an extremely bad review of Motor City Mini in this Dealership Feedback section and felt I needed to include my own experiences. I'm truly sorry you weren't able to have the positive experience with Motor City Mini that I have come to expect.

My only suggestion is that you give them another chance for the sake of loaction. However, it sounds like you've had quite good luck with your dealer in Ohio and the trip is well worth it.

Enjoy the MINI!

- Stefanie

back in action
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2004, 07:10 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 12:33 PM

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBulldog
oops subsitute the words midwestern mini...for motor city mini, midwestern is great,
motor city is the problem, especially the service manager Bill Donahue
Why is he a problem? Did he tell you NO becouse you had some rediculous request. Most likely that was the case..............
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2004, 04:25 PM
MINI Geek

United States View steebo777's Hyper Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Send a message via AIM to steebo777
Anyone else have experience with Motor City MINI? My MCS will be picked up August 30th, so I'm just wondering if I have any problems with my MCS that Motor City MINI will be cool with warrenties/replacing stuff. Thanks in advance.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2004, 02:37 AM
MotorCityMadman

United States Male View Cooper76's Solid Black & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile

Sorry to hear about your experience?

What was the main source of friction?

I've dealt with Bill before (heck, he was adament that he make me a freshly-brewed cup of coffee, even after I refused three times and he didn't want any for himself...he still made it and gave it to me, and yeah, I really did want some...hahaha...) and had nothing but good times. Either he was having a really bad day or something of friction came up?!

Motor City MINI and Bavarian BMW in general is nothing but top class. I have bought both a BMW and MINI from them and have had nothing but bend-over-backwards support. Any disagreement that could have gone either way has always gone my way, they made sure of it. The BMW salesmen are top-class and high-integrity. Even the guys who didn't sell me an auto call me by name when I walk in! The lead service tech, Ilya is quite possibly the biggest "good feelings" guy I have ever met. High-energy, always busting his ass, always smiling, always greeting you with a salute or hand-shake and a smile as he is running to the next car with a stack of papers and three people waiting. Hahaha. Top class stuff.

So, to those in the Detroit-area wanting to know about Bavarian/Motor City MINI, either PM me or give them a shot. They are tops. Go to their webpage and check out the story of the owner, Mr. Dahm. He is also wonderful. As a young man, he used to sleep in the cars he worked on at his first job as a mechanic in the States and then get right back to work on them in the morning. A very hard worker and he found the American Dream. I was at the Grand Opening of the new facility and Tom Purves had nothing but 5 Stars to say for Mr. Dahm.

Bavarian BMW

***BMW-AG Rocks!!!***

Portsmouth FC Can Thank Sunderland...What a Farce!!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2017, 07:32 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 08:33 PM
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

update on MotorCity Mini...

just bought a used (2 owner) from them this week. Ron, the salesman was great to work with and everyone else we dealt with was very pleasant.

will go back to them for service and will update but i dont foresee having any problems..

coop
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2017, 12:28 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 08:33 PM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

You do realize that this thread is 13 years old........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in