Awaiting transport - On&Off the boat - MINI Cooper Forum

Delivery, Shipping & Order Tracking Use this area to discuss your MINI's delivery

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2003, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 11:53 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United States

Unhappy Awaiting transport - On&Off the boat

Hello Forum Members,

Has any of y'all encountered this particular situation? - My MS was completed on 6/18/2003. On 6/21/03 it was loaded onto the Jingu Maru at the port of Southhampton. Later, still on 6/21, it was off-loaded. That's right, taken off the boat "export on hold". (found this information through the Wallenius Wilhelmsen tracking site, very helpful, until I discovered this site thru Mini2.com, I had absolutely no clue why my MS was "awaiting transport" for over a month!). Well, now, exactly a month later it seems this ship has made its full "round trip", once again having left SouthHampton - this time, it appears to have my MS on it.

What/why do you suppose it was taken off the boat on the first shipping attempt? My guess was something like the ship was overloaded and had to lighten-up by a dozen Minis or so before they could "set sail". But then, golly, why wasn't it put on one of their other boats - why'd it have to sit there for the whole return trip of the Jingu Maru?

Anyone else encountered such a situation?

Glad I found this Forum

MKR

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2003, 03:01 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 06:53 AM

Falkland Islands View gweeni'smom's British Racing Green & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile

My GWEENI was put on the same status 6/19 in Southampton, has been that way ever since. The sales manager at my dealer says my MINI is now on the boat, however WWW still says same status as before. How did you find your MINI on JINGU MARU? Have you verified the VIN number is actualy aboard? Mine is not as far as I can tell. Someone else on the boat looked for my VIN because I cannot get to listing without a booking number. I am trying many countermeasures to try to find my MINI. CALLMINI says it is in Bremerhaven, Germany. If you find out anything on yours, please post.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2003, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United States

Here's what I suggest, in this manner I've managed to satisfy myself that my MS is in fact on the Jingu Maru, left Southhampton on July 19th..

Go to the shipper's (Wallenius Wilhelmsen) web-site (I think it is www.2wglobal.com, I'm barred from accessing it on this particular computer I'm using right now). Find the link to cargo tracking, select "auto". Then, fill in your entire VIN (might not actually need the whole thing, but at least this will work). Then, you'll get a screen that will show several columns. As I recall you'll see your VIN, a booking number, a bill-of-lading number, a ship name, a voyage number, a "status" field, a time field,.... Now, when I do this, I get to entries, or "rows" each one has my VIN, but they correspond to two different voyages of the Jingu Maru - one that left Southhampton I think on 6/21/03 that my MS was "on" & "off", then the voyage that left on 7/19/2003. I only became convinced "I'm" on the 7/19 voyage when I took the bill-of-lading number for my VIN for that voyage, then used the track-by-bill-of-lading option. Using this tracking option, I came upon a listing of, oh, about maybe a hundred (or at least a few dozen) Minis on this voyage under that "bill of lading" - it actually shows to the minute the time each Mini/VIN was loaded on. Interesting, as I surveyed this list I found: my VIN indeed is there, it is by far the "lowest" (i.e. earliest manufactured) of this batch, and it appears to have been the very first Mini loaded of this bunch (loaded at 10:10 on 7/19/03, next one about 10:15, last one around 15:00).

So, try that route. You certainly will not get any better or more current info from any official Mini website, nor from 1-866-ASK-MINI, nor from your dealer (at least such was the case in my investigation)

Hope you might find the answer your looking for. If not, I can only sympathize at the bit of random "bad luck" that winds up botching the manufacture/delivery flow on certain orders.

(the reason, I learned, for the "on & off the boat" phenomena is "over-booking". It's not entirely clear to me, but I think the vehicle probably does not actually get much of the way "on" the boat, but it's rejected in much the same way airlines over-book certain flights. Once over-booked in this way, by all justice, it should have been shifted over to one of the other two boats making the same trip - the "Carmen" or I think it was the "Electra". I know that several other over-booked Minis in my original bunch were handled in this way - they're at my dealers right now!)

MKR

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2003, 07:26 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Falkland Islands View gweeni'smom's British Racing Green & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile

Alas, I have made some contact with WWW when their web page did not move in over a month. This generated an update on my VIN no, to "Returned to shipper", on 6/20/03. It was at "export unit on hold", since 6/19/03. The update was done (7/25/03) only after numerous inquiries directly with WWW by finding a willing person to try and track it down. (i.e. Go out on the dock and look for the car). WWW says my car was returned to Oxford, ASKMINI seems incapable of research, Distribution center says I'm waiting on the dock (which dock, not sure), and my dealer is finally trying to find out why GWEENI has disappeared into a black hole. I'm not sure why GWEENI has decided to tour Europe without me!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2003, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United States

That is outrageous and frustrating indeed!! I'd say you ought to demand a new order entirely, - with some substantial extras added on at no $$ as a token of compensation for this mis-deal.

MKR
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2003, 03:33 PM
MINI2 Newbie

I'VE TAKEN YOUR ADVICE, WE PUT IN A NEW ORDER TODAY. WITH SOME LUCK, ONLY ANOTHER 6-8 WEEK WAIT. HOWEVER, IF FIRST CAR IS FOUND, (THERE IS ACTUALLY ONLY ONE PERSON ON THE EAST COAST WHO IS CAPABLE OF TALKING TO THE FACTORY), AND IT GETS HERE FIRST, I WILL GET MY CHOICE. EXTRAS, OOOOHHH, THEYE'RE GONNA PAY!!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2003, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United States

Bravo!!

MKR
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2003, 08:18 PM
MINI2 Newbie

WELL, THEY HAVEN'T FOUND GWEENI YET, BUT I HAVE GOTTEN NOT ONE BUT TWO VERY CONCERNED, REASSURING TYPE PHONE CALLS FROM MY MA. THEY TELL ME THEY'VE NEVER LOST ONE BEFORE. (SURE, WE BELIEVE THAT). COMING ENTIRELY UNGLUED ON THE PHONE WHILE DEMANDING SERVICE HAS SOME SATISFACTION VALUE. I INTIMATED THAT I COULD POSSIBLY BE CONSOLED WITH LARGE AMOUNTS OF APPROPRIATE FREEBIES. SECOND ORDER WILL NOT BE HERE BEFORE SEPTEMBER.
OH WHERE, OH WHERE HAS MY LITTLE CAR GONE........?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 12:21 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

It could have been that it was just a mix-up. They do have to periodically shift the location of cars on the boat or offload some, while loading others. Definitely not the norm, but it does happen. Even if I buy directly from a dealer, I still use a private auto shipper, A-1 Auto Transport, Inc., just because it's easier when things like this come up.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2015, 07:57 AM
MINI2 Newbie

That's right, taken off the boat export on hold.

Tivi DVB-T2 l tivi g ?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2016, 11:05 AM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 12:53 PM
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanDaniels View Post
Thanks for the info.
Spammer!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in