Europe For European social and region specific discussion

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2008, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Rebirth

Local Time: 01:25 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View JerzyBondov's Hyper Blue & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulteix View Post
hi mate,

probably i will be there on the 26th. perhaps we can meet there.

greets, paulo
Sounds good! I take it you're a regular if you live in those parts? I'll send you a PM with my contact details...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2008, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Rebirth

United Kingdom Male View JerzyBondov's Hyper Blue & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad View Post
Regarding insurance, do a few enquiries, unless it is stated not valid on Nurburgring Nordschliefe explicitly on your policy, you are legally entitled to be covered since it is classed as a de-restricted toll road. German Highway laws apply, hence the no-overtaking on the right and there are speedlimits in places that you MUST adhere to, failure to do so could see you with fines from German traffic cops.
I take it the speed limits are for places where cars join and leave the track, and for the pits etc? I've checked my insurance - specifically says p*ss off if you're going to the Nurburgring Nordschleife unfortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad View Post
Like Ant said watch out for other traffic, the GT3 RS brigade really do fly around there, check your mirrors before and after every corner and really try to gauge how fast the car behind you is going.

A right indicator will tell them straight away you are letting them past and they should go past with minimum fuss.

Another thing, if you see a car that you think has a similar spec to yours, driving faster than you, by all means attempt to follow it's line but don't just assume because they can corner at that speed that you can too! Knowing the track is everything there so get a map and start learning. There are warning signs on the major corners that will catch you out but try and learn where they are in advance so you are ready for them.

Also watch out on the Karussel, it's easy to get carried away and end up sideways on the exit, it's a phenomenal cornering experience, but it's also easy to get it wrong.
Good advice - thank you very much! As it happens, I think I'll find it easier to learn where the bad corners are if I learn them in context, so I've just ordered GT4 on the playstation to help with that part of it. I know the cambers, gradients are all different etc - but at least I'll know which corner comes after which.

Can I ask if you've been round by yourself, and how you found it without a passenger to act as a spotter?

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2008, 11:09 AM
www.mini4u.de

Germany Male View paulteix's Pure Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile

Send a message via MSN to paulteix
good idea,

it is about 80 miles from where i live and i use to drive there several times and meet there other mini-freaks

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0022_ns.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	148632

Thanks for this post from:

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Team Wast

Local Time: 12:25 PM

United Kingdom Male View Saad's Classified Ads

Yeah my 1st time was 2 weeks ago on the 6th July in my dad's 996 C2. To add to my nervousness it was my 1st time driving his car!

He was spotting for me on the 1st couple of laps but he got bored after a while, or he was trying to close his eyes and not see how I was abusing his car. It's quite easy without a spotter, just drive like you would on a road, checking your mirrors.

In an MCS you should be able to do the uphill sections flat out once you've done a few laps and start remembering sections.

Watch out for the blind crests as some you can take flat out and some you need to brake before hand otherwise you won't have enough braking time before the corner.

A good idea is to chat to some of the obvious regulars, we got talking to a scottish scooby driver who lives in Germany and laps in 8:10! He says he does the uphill section at 210km/h, and by my 3rd lap I was doing it at 190 km/h and I was still holding back. A few guys will offer to take you round or come round with you to teach you where to push and where to hold back. Accept these offers as they are a real help.

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2008, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Rebirth

Thanks Saad - good tips! Am definitely intending to get a couple of passenger laps in before driving it if at all possible. And if I can persuade a regular to come round in my car and tell me what's what, even better...

The blind crests are definitely ones you need to know in advance - I remember on Gran Turismo there's a long fast uphill section and then a sharp 90degree left then going into a right, if you didn't brake before the crest you were chips. That sort of thing you definitely want to get your head round for real before planting yourself into the armco!
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Team Wast

Local Time: 12:25 PM

United Kingdom Male View Saad's Classified Ads

Another thing I'd say is don't let computer game knowledge lull you into a false sense of security. Use it as a tool, not as a bible. Braking times are a lot longer compared to a game, if on the game you know you can brake just after a crest, chances are you won't be braking hard enough in real life. Use the game to learn the corners, not how hard to push.

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2008, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Rebirth

Yeah - you only need to see what it was like for Clarkson trying to match his time at Laguna Seca in real life with that in the game -just couldn't do it. I think you'd be a bit daft to try and match up the braking points between them!
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2008, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Rebirth

Well, I'm back from the Nurburgring now and the car is still in one piece - always a bonus!

What was it like? In a word - intimidating. On the road I'm a confident driver, and I've done several track days and never felt scared or too far out of my comfort zone - but at the Ring, well all that changes. The place is utterly mental, and utterly brillliant. If anybody is thinking of going, I'd recommend it. You'll get through some cash, but it's absolutely worth it. The corners have still been going through my head for the last two nights since I've been back!

If there's any interest, let me know and I can write up a more detailed report, including how the Mini faired on the world's most hardcore bit of road!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in