Finance & Insurance Use this forum to discuss financing and insuring your MINI

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2017, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 10:16 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Insurance (UK) for heavily loaded '14 Cooper S?

OK guys, this is a rubbish problem to have. All because I spoke to one insurer on the phone, and what they told me lead to the same story over and over...
Basically, has anyone got an insurer that will allow a heavily specified car (factory spec/options/packs - NOT aftermarket) to be insured with the spec on file? As soon as I try and declare the spec, I get a problem because it's loaded with lots of toys. I am running out of options!
For those who say that factory specification is covered, can you please check the insurers small print, or tell me which insurer that is? Because I've had one guy tell me it's covered as long as it was in the factory, and no declaration is required, yet there policy wording clearly states it's not covered, unless it's declared and agreed.
Any advice or recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Alan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2017, 02:23 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 11:16 PM
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

England Male

I suspect the person(s) you are speaking to on the 'phone is either misunderstanding or mis-informed (I'm guessing there are call centre staff...).

Most if not all insurance covers the 'standard specification of your car at the time it was first registered' - note the 'your' - this includes any options fitted during manufacture.

The 'your' is important - make sure they are quoting you against the registration number of the car so they are quoting for that specific car.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2017, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Thanks for the reply. However, regardless of what the call centre staff say, the policy documentation will override that? Is which case, this is just one of the paragraphs I've seen, worded very similar, on almost all policies I've looked at so far...

"modifications - Any alteration to the manufacturers’ standard specification for your car, including Optional Extras fitted to the car when new by the vehicle manufacturer or dealer, which improves its value, performance, appearance or attractiveness to thieves. This includes, but is not restricted to, changes to the engine, engine management or exhaust system, changes to the wheels or suspension system, changes to the bodywork, such as spoilers or body kits or changes to the windows, such as tinting. This includes any modifications or changes made by previous owner"

Note the "INCLUDING OPTIONAL EXTRAS" in terms of the definition of modification. I wish I'd never read the terms :-(

That said, I have found Adrian Flux will do the cover on the car as specified from new, but they do want to detail the spec on the policy for avoidance of doubt.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2017, 02:57 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
Sour Mash

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Assuming they are just sat nav etc and not performance enhancing can you just insure the base spec then accept the risk of getting a base car if it's written off ??

2002 Mini Cooper R50, purchased Nov 2016
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2017, 03:38 PM
MINI2 Newbie

England Male

I've never seen that in an insurance policy and it certainly isn't in my LV policy (which has the wording given in my previous post) or my previous Aviva policy. Which insurance company is it?

To me, the items they list are modifications, not options at manufacture, so I would expect them to need to be declared as they are for my MINI with Greenlight.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2017, 05:35 PM
Sour Mash

United Kingdom Male

Garage
I would have thought it's unreasonable for every possible combination of manufacture optional extra to need accounting for as a separate vehicle... I mean the list of cars to choose from would be like a billion long

Kinda evidenced by when people make a claim as often people don't get exactly the same spec vehicle and are allowed to choose something slightly different of the same value

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2017, 06:12 PM
MINI2 Newbie

England Male

Again, what company's policy have you quoted?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2017, 09:42 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)

England Male

I think it is, as the wording says, modifications to bodywork, performance 'add-ons' at the dealer but before delivery?
I suppose it might apply to Gen1 JCW as the performance enhancements could be dealer fit or factory fit.
Knowing I was going to mod my R53 a fair bit, and I was starting a new policy, so zero NCD, I ended up after a lot of research, going with Adrian Flux. It was vry reasonable, not least because they gave me a 50% discount maybe because I have two cars, I'm the only driver, and I can't drive two cars at once. No other company took my 9 years NCD into account on my other car's policy.
And I've modded away, each time tell 'em what I've done and they say fine, added to policy, no charge. Only thing they did bang me for was putting on a 15% reduced pulley which does add a fair bit more ooomph. Added £30 to my premium.
So they suited me very well.
I would just add that most of the agents I speak to are actual real petrol heads. They know what all the things are - non res Milltek exhaust, CAI, roll bars, intercooler, strut brace, coilovers, brake upgrades. Wonderful, a pleasure.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2017, 11:27 PM
Sour Mash

United Kingdom Male

Garage
I've heard of Adrian flux a few times and looked on their website. They seem to have about 40 affiliated insurance companies but don't provide insurance themselves. By the looks of things they aren't an actual insurance company they just are willing to talk to you and get to know you more than most then they refer you to whichever of the ~40 affiliates they think will serve you best. Is this right??

(Nothing against this at all. Actually seems like a very personalised version of the meerkat website-- just wondering)

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2017, 05:58 AM
mlc
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

United Kingdom

As previously mentioned LV don't specify this restriction in their policy. When I insured a 125i with lots of options they asked me to list and when they realised how long list was agreed to list as car with factory fitted options.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2017, 04:01 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)

England Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackdaniel View Post
They seem to have about 40 affiliated insurance companies but don't provide insurance themselves. By the looks of things they aren't an actual insurance company they just are willing to talk to you and get to know you more than most then they refer you to whichever of the ~40 affiliates they think will serve you best. Is this right??

(Nothing against this at all. Actually seems like a very personalised version of the meerkat website-- just wondering)
Sort of right. Vaguely like the Meerkat website, but not. The Meerkat is a 'chuck shyte at the wall thing'. A route to punters for the insurers. Flux are a traditional broker. And as such 'place' your business with an insurer, as you say an actual insurance company. Most insurance risks end up with Underwriters at Lloyds of London. So the companies Flux 'place' your business with, that is your risk, are not "affiliates". They are the underwriters, who underwrite, that is take your risk, so issue the policy.

Flux will look at your particular needs (in my case, want to do a lot of mods) and they chose the appropriate underwriter to place the policy with. So my actual policy is with an underwriter called Ageas. If I have a claim I talk to Flux, not Ageas. They haven't referred me to Ageas. With the Meerkats you don't. They just suggest insurers and you deal with them directly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyd%27s_of_London
Jackdaniel and Jonobigblind like this.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2017, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Sorry guys. I got insurance in the end with Hastings direct instead. Adrian flux specified the options on the policy documents to avoid any doubt but Hastings were cheaper and specifically worded modifications to exclude factory fitted options. FYI Tesco flat refused insurance, direct line said they can only note 6 extras on the policy max and at least 3 other insurers worded specifically that modifications INCLUDED those that were fitted as options from new. So much disparity it?s criminal!
Jackdaniel likes this.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2017, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Just to add some more info that may be useful to some, and serve as a warning for many... Had a quick check on 3 insurers I've used previously...

ESURE - Wording "Any alteration to the manufacturers’ standard specification for your car, including Optional Extras fitted to the car when new by the vehicle manufacturer or dealer, which improves its value, performance, appearance or attractiveness to thieves"
TESCO - Flat refused insurance on the basis of 'body kit' - even though it was factory fitted (JCW pack) and isn't a kit as such
ADMIRAL - Wording "Any changes to your cars standard specification, including accessories and additional parts; optional extras and after market alterations;"

I'd say it's going to be typical of most insurers, and I'm told by a friend who's dad sold insurance products when it was actually worth doing, that most insurers will always adjust a payout in any way they can, so I assume in my case, I'd get payment/repair for a standard MCS with no options, unless they were declared on the policy.
Jackdaniel likes this.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2017, 08:43 PM
Sour Mash

United Kingdom Male

Garage
If you read the small print of almost any product or service it is actually very scary what you are agreeing to. I think in reality companies are willing to compromise on their terms if the worst comes to the worst as often it will result in bad press if they don't - the terms just serve as an absolute bottom of the pit safety net in case millions of pounds come into play

Of course like with anything in life if you want to eliminate all risk you would need to assume the worst, but I would liken this to someone never leaving the house for fear of being hit by a car

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2017, 07:08 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Just speak with your broker, go online to a comparison site or call the insurers directly, give them your reg plate and let them work out the premium based on the info they have.

You haven’t changed anything on the car, you haven’t misled them or hidden information that would prevent a claim being paid.

I wouldn’t declare a Tech pack and comfort boot access plus all the other options I’ve taken separately, I’d just say Xx67 xxx and let them price it. If I like the price and felt the policy was good value then I’d take it. Extra £6k on base spec but it’s not an issue as is was the price and spec as delivered and registered.

Aftermarket stuff worries insurance companies, as well as exotic marques but not a factory specced mainstream production motor. Don’t try and bamboozle the call centres with an impressive spec list, save that for your mates down the pub
NigelK likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in