• 1 Post By mike1967

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2018, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 05:54 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)

Insurance and ncb

I am insured on my vehicle at the moment ( 4 months remaining) and have 18 years ncb
I have bought a mini and have got some quotes online for £205 using my 18 years ncb
Question is. It states ncb Can only be used with one car. Does that mean I can't use it on the mini until the existing cars insurance expires.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2018, 07:58 AM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 06:54 AM
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View JohnnyC's Classified Ads

Correct.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2018, 08:21 AM
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
Sour Mash

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Just throw all logic out the window and think what would make the insurance company the most money and you will have your answer

2002 Mini Cooper R50, purchased Nov 2016

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2018, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Senior

Quoted: 299 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackdaniel View Post
Just throw all logic out the window and think what would make the insurance company the most money and you will have your answer
Always think the ncb should be for the person (they drive the car ) not the car. Can't drive two cars at once
Yet if you have an accident in the car without the fully loaded policy without ncb you still have to declare on the other policy
Crime and legalised spring to mind
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2018, 09:49 AM
Sour Mash

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Exactly can't drive 2 cars at once..

Also a lot of people who us a Mini as their second car use it as a fun car ... so instead of doing say 20k a year in an expensive saloon they do 15k (likely motorway miles) in the saloon and you do your more "risky" fun driving in the Mini surely that has reduced the risk you will crash your expensive car .....

Only thing I can think of is 2 cars is more risk of theft but would have thought this is negligible not risky enough to disregard a decade of safe motoring experience :-/

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2018, 09:53 AM
Sour Mash

United Kingdom Male

Garage
While I'm having a bash at insurance companies why don't they give us all a dash cam for free I mean it would potentiallysave them money in the event of a crash. At the moment we have to use our own money to save them from paying out
NigelK likes this.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2018, 12:04 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)

England Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbatoday View Post
I am insured on my vehicle at the moment ( 4 months remaining) and have 18 years ncb
I have bought a mini and have got some quotes online for £205 using my 18 years ncb
Question is. It states ncb Can only be used with one car. Does that mean I can't use it on the mini until the existing cars insurance expires.
Is the MINI replacing your current car or additional to it, second car?

I bought my MINI R53 Cooper S in 2016 as my second fun car, so having 2 cars. Have 75% NCD on my existing car, Volvo C30. Was getting ridiculous quotes for the MINI as I was starting a new policy with zero NCD. I did find a company who accepted I couldn't drive 2 cars at once (there aren't many Benny) and I got 50% off the starter policy on the MINI which provided a sensible quote which I took.

I would add that I had bought the MINI and wanted it insured whilst I scrabbled about finding a sensible insurance policy for it. So I added it to my existing policy as a 'temporary additional vehicle'. Most insurers provide this facility. They limit the length of time you can do it in a policy year. Mine was 6 weeks. Interestingly, it was incredibly cheap. Didn't seem to matter if it was a Porsche or a KIA.

So if you are replacing your current car with the MINI do this whilst you get shot of the current car.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2018, 01:19 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbatoday View Post
i'm with nfu and wife a named driver for 25 years she went and bought a car and needed to insure from start, because she was a named driver for so long on my policy they duplicated the no claims to the new policy and car. nfu might not be the cheapest but are so helpful. i can even temp cover a car for £6 per week when i need to use a car for short periods of time,

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2018, 01:11 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)

England Male

I have heard that NFU are great. I think their ad about "we pay out blah, blah" happens to be true. No-one seems to have told them that they are an insurance company and are not supposed to be nice and helpful people.

Think adding my R53 S temporarily was about that with the Coop. Always found it strange that it is so cheap to do that.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2018, 08:54 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelK View Post
I have heard that NFU are great. I think their ad about "we pay out blah, blah" happens to be true. No-one seems to have told them that they are an insurance company and are not supposed to be nice and helpful people.

Think adding my R53 S temporarily was about that with the Coop. Always found it strange that it is so cheap to do that.
we have been with them over 25 years in that time we had a couple non fault claims and one black ice never seen it coming crash we lost 20% no claim on the black ice claim but they paid out within 3 weeks and we had a hire car etc,, the other 2 no faults nfu took care of the whole lot hire cars paid in full market value with no hidden little nasty small print poo that most of the others use, i was with hastings direct on my bikes they were the cheapest around bearing in mind i new gsxr1000r k7 and before that one was fireblades and all race rep bikes couple of offroad bikes as well,, i had a off on it car undertook another car waiting at a junction and i ended up in the driver side door then over the top of the car broke a few bit and pieces on me totalled the bike, driver got done for dangerous driving and one of his mates got done for perverting the course of justice as lied to the police saying he was there and i was speeding,, what they did not bank on was dash cam on my bike showed 40mph in a 40 and also showed no black corsa present and when law investigated it he worked for a company that he had to clock in,, and he was at work,, while all this was going hastings where a royal pain in the arse until this driver went court would not pay out, when they did they offered under trade value and took 12 weeks of fighting that,, then when sorted they refused to reinstate my no claims bonus that took a mountain of letters,, they just kept moving the goal posts,, when finally it was all sorted i bought another bike went to insure with them again as they were the cheapest before , the quote was 4 times higher and the guy there said its because of insurance claims ans accident ie even not my fault and proved it made me higher risk in their silly little world,,
nfu never had a issue with ever might ne be the cheapest but that piece of mind is worth it for me and my family.

Jackdaniel likes this.

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2018, 01:22 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)

United Kingdom

If you are taking out a new policy for a second car ask the company to mirror your existing ncd on the new policy, many do.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2018, 02:12 PM
MINI2 Senior

Quoted: 120 Post(s)

Scotland

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1967 View Post
i'm with nfu and wife a named driver for 25 years she went and bought a car and needed to insure from start, because she was a named driver for so long on my policy they duplicated the no claims to the new policy and car. nfu might not be the cheapest but are so helpful. i can even temp cover a car for £6 per week when i need to use a car for short periods of time,
I have a 22 year old unmodified Land Rover Defender as my 2nd car and until last year it was insured with Land Rover but they hiked the premium from £295pa including offroad use (essential for me as I use like it is meant to be used) to £1100 pa because the value had doubled......... to over £22,000. I had heard NFU were very competitive so paid their local office a visit and walked out smiling - premium £280, including offroad use, agreed value was done on the spot as their motor engineer was in the office and came out to inspect the car there and then. It isnít a pretty highly polished machine, it is used to driving through bogs and gorse, it isnít a working vehicle though. I was abit surprised when they told me that because my postcode indicates that I might live on a farm (I live is a small development on the farm land) then off road use was gratis and for free! What nice people...... My main car is still insured with Land Rover Insurance and they have offered my a very competitive quote on the Countryman PHEV despite it not being a Land Rover product.
One company I have found totally uncompetitive (and only for those over 50 years old) is Saga, they were exactly twice the premium on both my Range Rover Sport and the Defender and wouldnít even consider cover for offroad use on either car (I also offroad my RRS - itís better at that than the Defender, but too nice to bash!)
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2018, 08:15 PM
Sour Mash

United Kingdom Male

Garage
It's nice to hear there are still companies interested in retaining customers and developing long term relationships. I have actually had an insurance agent on the phone tell me I will probably be going with a different company next year as his superiors genuinely don't care about their customers. Seemed just as peed off as the customers

Oh also the vast majority of the hundreds of insurance complies out there are owned by about 5 companies who just compete with themselves to give customers the illusion that they have found a better deal

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2018, 08:23 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Scotland View Post
I have a 22 year old unmodified Land Rover Defender as my 2nd car and until last year it was insured with Land Rover but they hiked the premium from £295pa including offroad use (essential for me as I use like it is meant to be used) to £1100 pa because the value had doubled......... to over £22,000. I had heard NFU were very competitive so paid their local office a visit and walked out smiling - premium £280, including offroad use, agreed value was done on the spot as their motor engineer was in the office and came out to inspect the car there and then. It isn’t a pretty highly polished machine, it is used to driving through bogs and gorse, it isn’t a working vehicle though. I was abit surprised when they told me that because my postcode indicates that I might live on a farm (I live is a small development on the farm land) then off road use was gratis and for free! What nice people...... My main car is still insured with Land Rover Insurance and they have offered my a very competitive quote on the Countryman PHEV despite it not being a Land Rover product.
One company I have found totally uncompetitive (and only for those over 50 years old) is Saga, they were exactly twice the premium on both my Range Rover Sport and the Defender and wouldn’t even consider cover for offroad use on either car (I also offroad my RRS - it’s better at that than the Defender, but too nice to bash!)
we have owned loads of different cars over the years including bmw m3 and sierra cosworth hand full of subaru sti's and evo 5 loads of toys and they have always insured them never refused to cover when mid 90s trying to get cover on a cossy was a nightmare for most people, but need to add tracker on it and in locked garage over night, found them to very good if not the best

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in