Cvt transmission problems need help - Page 2 - MINI Cooper Forum
First Generation CVT & Automatic First Generation MINI Automatics from 2001 - 2006

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2011, 02:27 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 10:33 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Are you driving in "D" mode or "SD" mode? If in "SD", then I'd say when accelerating by pushing the pedal down a lot, this is normal. The engine is just "kicking down" a gear or two. Does the car speed up well?
Not so sure it should do it quite so dramatically when slowing down, unless you are actually making it downshift with the shifter. Worst case would be that your transmission belt is slipping. You should get a Mini mechanic to try to duplicate this. He'll be able to tell you if it's normal or not. It all depends on which mode you are using and if you are doing the shifting yourself or not.
I am driving in D mode only. Car speed up ok.. its just roaring sound that it makes when speeding up.

What do you mean by downshift with the shifter.

Thanks for your help !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2011, 03:17 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 02:33 PM
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Canada Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkedia View Post
I am driving in D mode only. Car speed up ok.. its just roaring sound that it makes when speeding up.

What do you mean by downshift with the shifter.

Thanks for your help !
It sounds like you are not shifting your transmission manually. You're just leaving it in "D". If you have the feature, you can manually shift it by pushing the stick to the right and then going through the gears up and down or you can use the paddle shifters on the steering wheel.
If you're just driving in "D", your slowing down seems a bit odd. Have someone check it out.

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2011, 06:41 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 09:33 PM

try this speed up till 15 mph and then shift the gearbox in manual speed stays the same your rpm go shift back one time if the noice go up with the rpm your main bearing is damaged. it can be fixed under the car check your local dealer.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2011, 02:08 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 10:33 PM
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Thanks a lot guys.. I will give it a try
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2011, 06:37 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 03:33 PM

United States

Good guesses here, I had a somewhat similar problem, it was a transmission belt slipping case.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2012, 09:31 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 01:33 PM

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by powdajohn View Post
Good guesses here, I had a somewhat similar problem, it was a transmission belt slipping case.
powdajohn,

How did you resolve this problem? I don't know who can do this work for me, do I have to go to BMW dealer to get it done?

I was reading on other forum that I have to take my mini to the bmw dealer to get the adaptations reset for the transmission. Google (Auto gear shift in high revs - North American Motoring)

Any help would be highly appreciated especially if you've had the same issue and solved it somehow. Thanks
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2012, 11:44 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United States

europeantransmissions.com sells a video on how to rebuild a mini cvt.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2015, 01:52 PM
MINI2 Newbie

WHEN I ACCELERATE ... I haVE exactly the same prob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkedia View Post
I have got Mini One automatic 2004 model and having some problem just wondering if anyone can help us.

When I accelerate ( above/ around 50 miles) the rpm goes quite high around 4-5 and engine makes roaring noise, after a while it settles between 3-4 (mostly at 3). But when I remove foot from accelerator for car to slow down the rpm starts rising again upto 4-5 and then slowly starts to come down when the car slows to 30-40 miles.. during all this the negine makes roaring noise as well.

Just wondering if any of you have ever come across any such problem or know the reason.
Hi partner: I NEED HELP. I have exactly the same problem with my 2003 Cooper. The rpms go up to 3500 when the car slows down for stopping at a traffic light. Then after a few seconds they go down to 1000. The same will happen when I resume driving it will go to 1st gear, stay there for five to ten seconds before shifting to 2nd or third. The rest of the drive is fine, and ghe whole things happens again at the next traffic light. Whaaat a nuisance !!!

I wonder if you ever found out what was wrong ???

I took the car to a mechanic who does BMW work and he scanned the transmission and told me that everything is fine with the gear box and that the discs are slipping because of the fluid they put in it was the wrong type.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2015, 09:40 PM

Hi there my wife owns a 2004 mini one when we excellerate it feels like it doesnt bite in fully its like it rides to get up to speed it still drives ok just when you put your foot down.
It changes nicely up and down so no problems there it just riding to much for my liking any much appreciated thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in