CVT driving technique - Page 22 - MINI Cooper Forum

First Generation CVT & Automatic First Generation MINI Automatics from 2001 - 2006

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.89 average.
post #316 of 330 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Fershluginer Potrezibie

Local Time: 03:43 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United States Male View Vanwall's British Racing Green & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve
I've only ever driven plain and simple automatic transmission cars. My MINI w/CVT is on order, and I am worried that I'll feel I'm pushing too hard to try to get up to 70-75mph highway speeds. Can anyone simplify the technique for me - when on the highway, driving @ 70-75 mph, what (automatic) mode should I be in?
THANKS!
The CVT gets up to freeway speeds very easily, and the "D" setting can get you there if you don't want to move the shifter, but it keeps the engine in a lower RPM mode unless you really step on the gas. If you want to get to that point faster, you can use the "SD" funtion. It's quite simple, don't worry - push the lever over into the "SD" mode which will allow for brisk accelleration, and when you are up to speed, push it back into "D" which is like an overdrive, and will let the engine run at freeway speeds at lower RPMs than "SD". You dont have to let up on the gas pedal when you do this - the computer will keep the change smooth.
If you've never driven a shift car, wait until you're more familiar with the CVT before shifting manually, and read all of the driving tecnique thread. Welcome aboard!

BCNU,
Rob in Dago

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #317 of 330 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2005, 06:11 PM
MCC On The Way

Local Time: 10:43 PM

United States

United-States

Thanks!!!

post #318 of 330 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2005, 06:20 PM
JL Mini Boombox

Local Time: 06:43 AM

Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to mini_macky
D or SD in traffic?

ey guys. i have a 2002 MC CVT. will driving in D or SD give me better mileage in stop & go traffic? to be able to get moving in traffic in D, i noticed that when i slooowly press the accelerator, it takes time for it to get moving, but when i sort of "tap" the accelerator & keep my foot on it (i don't floor it or anything, imagine just putting your foot on it, not slowly pressing it), it moves a lot better from a stand-still. haven't tried it in SD though (coz honestly, i only found out about the SD mode a few mins ago. well, i've had my Mini for only a month. my bad ) i use D all the time, ocassionaly use steptronic for aggressive driving.

post #319 of 330 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2005, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Master

United States View nonsequitur's Royal Grey & Silver 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View nonsequitur's Classified Ads

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_macky
will driving in D or SD give me better mileage in stop & go traffic?
The quick answer is "D" but we've not objectively tested it. There are many factors, especially in Stop&Go traffic, but I would still bet on Drive because that Selection uses lower RPMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_macky
i noticed that when i slooowly press the accelerator, it takes time for it to get moving, but when i sort of "tap" the accelerator & keep my foot on it (i don't floor it or anything, imagine just putting your foot on it, not slowly pressing it), it moves a lot better from a stand-still.
This is an Excellent Observation, and a Very Good One for this thread!

The electronic throttle senses 1. absolute throttle position (how far you've depressed it), 2. kick-down switch activation (clicked or not), and 3. the speed of your foot's motion (throttle position rate of change).

These detailed inputs create a "Target Speed" from the computer map. You are telling the EMS2000 a. how fast (terminal speed like 60mph) you want, and b. how quickly (acceleration rate) you want to get there. There are important inputs. We don't have an engineering statement from anyone at MINI on exactly how all of this interacts, but we do have confirmation that each of these factors are used by the computer to accelerate the car.

One email exchange suggested that maximum acceleration from full stop would be achieved by flooring (past the detent switch) the e-throttle to get the car moving, and then backing off to just under the detent switch so the car uses CVT-mode (continuous turbine-smooth) versus SAT-mode (stepped faked "shifts") for the actual acceleration phase after launch.

I've never mastered this technique, so we use a modified approach and just don't worry about stop lights.

We've really not properly experimented with throttle position before launch. In other words, how should the car be set up to launch?

Rereading what I just wrote supports the idea that we'd get better acceleration from a full stop if three things happened:
1. Car at full stop: SD Selected, Throttle not depressed at all.
2. Anticipate the launch: Quickly!, but smoothly, depress the throttle all the way to the floor (past detent).
3. After launch, but before the first "shift": Ease off (very slowly) the throttle to the detent position.
(I just can't do 3.; it seems to mix up the commands and resets Target Speed, but others have said they can/do and it works somehow. This is one place where "compromise" from the ideal may be needed.)

'06 MINI Cooper S(10/14/06; Royal Grey/Black)
'02 MINI Cooper CVT(6/12/02; Indi Blue/Black, R-81 7-hole 15x5.5" or NZO 16x6.5")
'67 Austin Cooper S (6/26/67; Tartan Red/Black, 10x4.5")
post #320 of 330 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2005, 01:10 PM
MINI2 Regular

United States View YuccaPatrol's British Racing Green & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Send a message via Yahoo to YuccaPatrol
We're getting a CVT in a couple months and this thread is great! Thanks for all the info. . .
post #321 of 330 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Fershluginer Potrezibie

United States Male View Vanwall's British Racing Green & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
We're getting a CVT in a couple months and this thread is great! Thanks for all the info. . .
Welcome to the Shiftless Two-Pedalers, and hope you visit often!

BCNU,
Rob in Dago
post #322 of 330 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 03:18 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 06:43 PM

United States Male View valnmike's Chili Red & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsequitur
3. After launch, but before the first "shift": Ease off (very slowly) the throttle to the detent position.
(I just can't do 3.; it seems to mix up the commands and resets Target Speed, but others have said they can/do and it works somehow. This is one place where "compromise" from the ideal may be needed.)
nonseq, I wonder if there might be a different response depending upon the DME s/w version last installed? My 2003 was last updated as part of the US emmissions recall. I have not wanted any update since then. This was done back on 12 Nov 04. The work order only says "REPROGRAM DME W/CD 38.0 OR HIGHER" but it does not say which version was actually installed. I still get very satisfactory results using the detent for launch, then going to WOT at or before redline.

-=Mike=- laissez les bons temps rouler
post #323 of 330 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Master

United States View nonsequitur's Royal Grey & Silver 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View nonsequitur's Classified Ads

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by valnmike
I still get very satisfactory results using the detent for launch, then going to WOT at or before redline.
This is a very proper subject for this Driving Technique Thread.

Launch is a significant one weak point in the MINI CVT drivetrain for many drivers. The expectations established for the marketplace by a torque converter-equipped "automatic" or traditionally-clutched manual are not met by the ZF VT1F CVT. Our gearbox excels at what it was designed to do, better than the alternatives, but this is one of the compromise areas.

We should be able to mitigate this by driving the machine properly. There is practical everyday experience like that hinted here from valnmike, and some direction from ZF Getrieb.

Let's explore specific ideas, maybe measure the differences, and come up with a recommendation!

valnmike,
Will you outline the "best" way to launch and accelerate for maximum effect to get us restarted?

'02 MINI Cooper CVT(6/12/02; Indi Blue/Black, R-81 7-hole 15x5.5" or NZO 16x6.5")
post #324 of 330 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2005, 10:13 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 06:43 PM

United States Male View valnmike's Chili Red & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsequitur
This is a very proper subject for this Driving Technique Thread.

Launch is a significant one weak point in the MINI CVT drivetrain for many drivers. The expectations established for the marketplace by a torque converter-equipped "automatic" or traditionally-clutched manual are not met by the ZF VT1F CVT. Our gearbox excels at what it was designed to do, better than the alternatives, but this is one of the compromise areas.

We should be able to mitigate this by driving the machine properly. There is practical everyday experience like that hinted here from valnmike, and some direction from ZF Getrieb.

Let's explore specific ideas, maybe measure the differences, and come up with a recommendation!

valnmike,
Will you outline the "best" way to launch and accelerate for maximum effect to get us restarted?
I will try to put this together, but I've been pretty busy lately. I also have this to do over the next two Saturdays http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...d.php?p=658419

I will make the attempt though, if ya'all can be patient with me.

-=Mike=- laissez les bons temps rouler
post #325 of 330 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2006, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Master

Garage
It's been remarkable to monitor the progress, the investigations, the discussions,... and to feel the joy of sharing all that comes from being in this Forum.

This thread just passed 30,159 views. A subject summary with links to other parts of this thread, and a few other associated threads is in Post #284

post #326 of 330 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Mini Cooper 2003, 1.6 CVT

Local Time: 11:43 PM

United Kingdom

This thread is a goldmine for information on how to really get to know the CVT 'box, but I find that it's rather centred on the track/performance aspect of the car. During day-to-day driving the car is often a bit rough when crawling in traffic or moving off gently. I understand that to get a quick getaway from the line one ought to floor past the detent and then raise back to the detent point, but what is the technique for the smoothest getaway from the line, i find that feathering the throttle like in a manual car seems to confuse the CVT and results in a rougher acceleration. Would love it if some of you guys could give me a hand on this one, and generally how to make the CVT behave more smoothly in normal town driving.

Thanks.
post #327 of 330 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2009, 05:36 AM
MINI2 Privilege Member
MINI2 Global Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

United States Male View Sejanus's Chili Red & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile

For normal in traffic driving I just drive it like a regular automatic, the only exception is trying to avoid 8-9 mph which is where the CVT starts that mild lurching effect it is prone to.

post #328 of 330 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2014, 11:27 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 07:43 AM

Hong Kong

Thanks for all your input and effort.

This post should the most useful guide for we CVT R50 owners.
post #329 of 330 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2014, 11:30 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 07:43 AM

Hong Kong

After read the post, i know that the quickest acceleration is to kickdown and the hold at the "detent" position when the rpm reach 5k.

but by actual, I tried it but it seems not quicker than using "1" first then "upshift" or turn it to D > SD. I dont have scientific proof since it is not dyno tested. But just by my experience and feel ...
post #330 of 330 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2014, 04:20 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member
MINI2 Global Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

United States Male View Sejanus's Chili Red & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile

I tend to agree.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.mini2.com/forum/first-generation-cvt-automatic/25028-cvt-driving-technique.html
Posted By For Type Date
dbmini.us This thread Refback Mar 1st, 2009 05:02 AM
MotoringFile Archive Cooper CVT driving technique This thread Refback Feb 10th, 2009 05:45 AM
A good discussion re driving a CVT - The MINI Cooper Forum This thread Refback Jan 26th, 2009 07:34 PM
MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - Driving the CVT in sport mode? This thread Refback Dec 9th, 2008 11:34 PM
MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - MINI Cooper non-S and MINI One dyno sheets Post #0 Refback Dec 4th, 2008 10:13 PM