Wont shift from SD back to D - MINI Cooper Forum
First Generation CVT & Automatic First Generation MINI Automatics from 2001 - 2006

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2018, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 12:26 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wont shift from SD back to D

Hi everybody.

My wife recently passed her test and we've just got a 2002 Cooper, 84,0000 miles with the CVT as her first car.

Messing about with it the other day, i noticed that the Shift positions weren't displaying on the Dash. P, N, R, D. When i put it into Drive, it came up SD with the M/S lights on. I pushed the stick over to the right and it displayed 1. It drives in manual mode no problem and shifts up and down the gears. But, it won't shift back out of manual to automatic. If i turn the car off, then when i put it in drive, it will go back to SD but still with M/S lit up.

I'm wondering, is there an electrical contact of sorts that's not registering the left movements that i want to shift from manual to SD, and SD to D?

It seems that once it's UP, it won't come down.

Magically though, the problem went away yesterday morning when i moved it for her. Now the dash displays P, R, N, and most importantly D and now the M/S light is off. I haven't tried moving it from D to SD or manual though just in case i get stuck with the same problem again. Of course there's no such thing as magic and i suspect that there's something that requires attention.

I myself have a Range Rover P38 so i'm used to things going wrong, , and have fixed many a problem. I had a similar sort of issue whereby my transmission wasn't registering Neutral and subsequently wouldn't allow me to transfer over into the low range box. It turned out to be a faulty X,Y,Z switch on the side of the gearbox that wasn't making the contact inside. Is it a similar thing on the Mini's?

I hope I've explained the problem well enough and would be very grateful if someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks very much

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2018, 03:48 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 12:26 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have the same thing going on with my 2005, except it doesn't display P, N, R, or D, only SD, and the M/S light stays on. It's stuck in Sport mode, and I don't know what to do about it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in