Tips and Facts on the Aisin AW TF-61SN automatic - Page 3 - MINI Cooper Forum

First Generation CVT & Automatic First Generation MINI Automatics from 2001 - 2006

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #31 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2006, 04:17 AM
Just Do It

Local Time: 04:06 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Australia Male View nike61's Hyper Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Good to see that the MCSa is still alive.
Had my MCSa now for 6 months and I would say that 99% of the time I drive in "M". During this time I have never deaccelerated, only kept constant power with no problems whatsoever.
The only trick is to ensure when slowing or change down, that you do not leave it too late to drop to 2nd for corners, as some times at same time the MCSa already had changed, thus putting you in 1st......gulp.
The only issue is the cold start and slight yo-yo first thing in morning or longer holding of gears during change. I have been told to update the exhaust into 4 into 1 gives extra power and smoothes this problem out. Still deciding whether to do or not.
I agree with Jim, that it is hard to go back to manual after this sweet car.
Go MCSa.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2006, 10:50 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 06:06 PM

Australia

Australia

Ive had my MCSa now for 2 weeks ( we also have a 03jcw ) . Roz loves her Jcw but I cant give up the auto now ! Its brilliant in traffic and changes quicker and better than I ever could with a manual . Cant wait to try it out at Eastern Creek with the Jcw brakes.

post #33 of 50 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2006, 05:53 AM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 09:06 PM

United States View JCIP's Liquid Yellow & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Update on MCSa

This car gets the nod for everyday driving. It's just easier to drive. It takes some skill to keep it smooth, but so does the manual shift car. When driven aggressively, it's a flyer!

I have also discoverd that I can shift in D mode. Just tap a paddle and you jump into manual mode, and go up or down a gear. Really fantastic when you want to upshift or downshift - no reaching for the gear lever and pushing it over, etc., just start paddleing! The car will revert to D mode a few seconds later, but you've been able to make your gear change and are back to cruising faster than if you had been trying to reset the mode!

And, I LOVE the kickdown! It's just a no brainer, even more fun if you are in D then hit the paddle to drop a gear - the display will show what gear, then stomp it into kickdown. The rocket launches! Don't forget to paddle up, but it will revert to D and shift up if you don't.

Also in D, the box downshifts as you are braking, so you are pretty well set for accelerating out of a corner in a lower gear. If its a slow corner, like a right angle bend, second will be seleced - you can check it just be bumping the paddle, or move the lever over and go through the motions. Anyway, just wanted to say that I find driving in D and working the paddles as needed, THE best of both worlds. Automatic ease, with manual overide, and back to D faster and smoother than you can probably shift the auto box manually!

post #34 of 50 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2006, 12:24 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 08:06 AM

United Kingdom Male

Red Cooper

Is there a display to show which gear you currently have selected?
post #35 of 50 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2006, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
AprilWhine's Fuzzy One

Local Time: 11:06 PM

United States Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick225
Is there a display to show which gear you currently have selected?
I know it does in manual mode. I think it does for a moment in D when manually shifting, but it goes away when the tranny returns to full automatic. I so seldom shift manually that I will have to take a look when I get to drive the wifes car again.
post #36 of 50 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2006, 05:26 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
I could stop if I wanted

Local Time: 01:06 AM

Canada Male View Ferroequine's British Racing Green & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View Ferroequine's Classified Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ray
I know it does in manual mode. I think it does for a moment in D when manually shifting, but it goes away when the tranny returns to full automatic. I so seldom shift manually that I will have to take a look when I get to drive the wifes car again.
Yup, you're right Jim. That's how it works; bang on.

But I think you should take your wife's car for a "test drive" anyway.
post #37 of 50 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2006, 03:19 AM
MINI2 Regular

United States View JCIP's Liquid Yellow & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Update on MCSa

I haven't visited for a while, but this is a good time to make an addition. I have been in the process of selling my manual S, so I haven't been driving it much. I have been reluctant to let it go. It has been cleaned and polished and sitting in the garage awaiting a new owner. I have been logging lots of mile on the MCSa instead, and I have to say - getting into the old car was a shocker!

I had forgotten how aniemic the manual S is low down. I was afraid I was going to stall it every time I took off from a stop light! The Auto has made it so easy to move off from a stop, or a hill, just so much nicer for everyday driving!

On the open road, I have no feeling of diconnect with the auto. I find it very satisfying to drive, and don't feel I am missing much from the manual. There are some oddities, but I think it's just the computer trying to think, and a tap on the paddles puts it all right!
post #38 of 50 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2006, 01:05 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 02:06 AM

United States Male View GBMINI's Thunder Blue & Silver 1st Gen MINI Cooper S JCW GP Profile

When I pick up GPMINI in Monterey and drive MTTS, it's going to give me a good long seat time back in the manual - it'll be very interesting to see if my reaction is like yours when I get back home and try GBMINI again

Ian C. Florida, MA, USA
GBMINI.net
post #39 of 50 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2006, 06:16 PM
MINI2 Regular

Monterey GP Mini

I will look forward to seeing you there! I am attending with a friend who is also collecting a GP Mini! Are you doing 'Mini takes the states' too? We will be doing leg one, maybe two, but can't stray too far since the car needs to be returned to Mini for shipping.

What's your number?

You can contact me direct at [email protected]waii.rr.com
post #40 of 50 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2006, 02:40 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 08:06 AM

United Kingdom Male

Also does the auto in the S change up when you hit the rev limiter in manual mode?

post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2006, 05:46 PM
MINI2 Regular

Good point! In manual mode it doesn't just upshift, so you have to watch the revs! It will go onto the rev limiter to cut back and loose power, but it can't be good for the trans. I have done this a few times, and it seems to take the trans a while to recover.

I think it is like the learning of your driving style by the cars computer. It you are reving high, the system takes that to be your driving style. I have found that I will need to deliberately upshift the car in D mode, or it holds its lower gears at high revs. I guess it's expecting me to demand maximum performance most of the time!

Another reason I found it more comfortable to put it in D and shift as needed. On the highway I will use the kick-down by flooring the gas so I don't hold it in a lower gear too long. If I want, I can force the upshift to the hight gear from D by hitting the paddle, or gear shift. All very well controlled and snappy.
post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
I could stop if I wanted

Local Time: 01:06 AM

Canada Male View Ferroequine's British Racing Green & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View Ferroequine's Classified Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCIP View Post
Good point! In manual mode it doesn't just upshift, so you have to watch the revs! It will go onto the rev limiter to cut back and loose power, but it can't be good for the trans. I have done this a few times, and it seems to take the trans a while to recover.
When I let mine hit 6,500 rpm in manual mode, it will upshift for me...
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2006, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
AprilWhine's Fuzzy One

Local Time: 11:06 PM

United States Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniVee View Post
When I let mine hit 6,500 rpm in manual mode, it will upshift for me...
You are correct. The software that controls the shift points will not allow the engine to over rev, the tranny will shift prior to redline. It will do the same on low rpms to prevent lugging, or under reving the engine.

post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2006, 12:37 PM
bjl
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 03:06 AM

United States View bjl's Electric Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Send a message via AIM to bjl
I feel that it upshifts just a tad to early.
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 11:00 AM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 03:06 AM

United States

I have a standard MC and am not too familiar with the automatic, but 3 years ago, I rented an automatic MC, I'm guessing an '02 or '03 and I don't remember if it was a CVT or regualr automatic. There were no paddles that I was aware of....... back then, did the auto or the CVT come with paddles?.....maybe they were there and I just missed them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in