New 2005 CVT - Jerk Problem - Page 2 - MINI Cooper Forum

First Generation CVT & Automatic First Generation MINI Automatics from 2001 - 2006

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2005, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 12:16 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flak-Happy
I have 2003 MC w/CVT and have learn to work with that quirky characteristic.

The MC onboard computers and CVT are remarkable pieces of technology. The system is designed to learn your perferred driving style. The harder you push it with all modes available D, SD, or simualted 6-sp Manual modes, the faster the system learns and adjusts to you.

See if this suggestion helps:
When your CVT begins to jerk or bounce at low speeds try switching from "D" mode to "SD". 90% of the time this trick elimates the jerk motion.

Also the MC really seems to be "geared" (no pun intended) for manual mode. That includes the CVT types. I've been using Manual mode so much now (in city and highway), my Mini perfers it better than "D" mode.

Of course, just don't push it too hard during your initial break in period.
Excellent piece of advice Flak-Happy! I think I may not bother making this issue a big deal at the service centre then...and just try, as you have suggested, to play about with the tranny to see if I can overcome the jerky behaviour of the CVT. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2005, 03:46 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 07:16 AM

United States

United-States

No problem Zeb358.
Glad to be of some help. Also remember, when the CVT begins to bounce, just ease off on the gas for second to two. Sometimes letting Sir Issaic Newton (the basic laws of physics and gravity) do some of the work for you can help. This is true when going downhill at low speeds, (such as in a muti-deck parking garage).

Personally, I think the CVT just wants to get out of that "first" gear. Not really sure if this is the proper term considering the tranny is actually a constant muti gear. However, when in "D" mode at low speed you'll notice the feels like it wants to shift to higher gear.

In a way, the CVT kind of mimics the characteristics of true manual. Manual mode nearly elimates the quirky boune jerk. So when your up to it give the steptronic (simulated manual) mode a try. You can almost control what gear you want, depending on your current speed of course. Even when you begin to slow down from a higher speed the CVT will automatically downshift for you, if you should forget to. However, you still have to upshift.

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 10:24 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United States

I have a 05 MC CVT with 1300 miles on it. Jerkiness at low speed (between 5 - 15 mph) has been a problem from day one, but it did seem to get a little better over time - perhaps that's because I've learned a few tricks to reduce the effect:
Trick #1: Step on that gas! It only jerks if you coast in the problematic speed range. Step firmly on the gas to accelerate until you are over 15 mph and you won't have any problem with jerking. It's more fun that way too
Trick #2: keep a steady foot. Chances are you won't be able to always drive above 15 if you are stuck in New york City traffic as much as I do Try to find the sweet throttle position to get the car to your desired speed, then hold your foot steady on the gas pedal. Avoid minor adjustments to the throttle (at low speeds) like you would do on an automatic - that kind of throttle movement is what seems to confuse the CVT computer and at least partially contribute to the the jerkiness.
Trick #3: Warm up before you go. It seems to jerk more when the engine's cold.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 04:32 AM
MotorCityMadman

United States Male View Cooper76's Solid Black & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile

The jerkiness will more than not disappear when one has learned the ins-and-outs of driving and handling the CVT. If you drive it like a standard auto, as you will at first, you will gets all sorts of jerks and spats. It'll slowly stop as you (unnoticeably) get better at acting and reacting to the CVT.

BTW, in reverse, hold your foot on the brake, shift into reverse, let off the brake, but do not immediately hit the gas! Let the car sit and you will notice that it doesn't really move backwards for a few seconds. (if you hit the gas now, it will lurch or jerk backwards). Once a few seconds pass, you will notice or suddenly feel the car get into gear. Now you can hit the gas, move backwards, and see that there is no jerk.

***BMW-AG Rocks!!!***

Portsmouth FC Can Thank Sunderland...What a Farce!!!
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2005, 06:27 AM
JTC

Local Time: 09:16 PM

Australia View JTC's Liquid Yellow & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile

this jerkiness makes it feel like im driving an manual...and not clutchin in properly

mini cooper chilli

mountain passes ^^v
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2005, 08:34 AM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 06:16 PM

Thailand Male

Send a message via MSN to Yoda
Try fitting free flow air panel. I feel that it makes the jerk less noticeable

MCS JCW Dark Silver/Black
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2005, 01:30 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 11:16 AM

First Mini test drive (2005) - I want a CVT but...

After testing the MC manual and the MCs auto and enjoying them both for different reasons, I tried a MC CVT because that's the model I've had my eye on.

Wow, what a shock. I know you have to give up some power with an a/t, but the way this CVT pulls off from a start is unreal! Lumbering and slothlike. Once you get it up to speed and the RPMs are up over 3k, the little MC base engine performs beautifully, but for getting going the CVT is a big dissappointment. This thread discusses how it is "jerky", but I'm not sure I'd describe it that way. Like I said, slow and lumbering is more like it. Actually I just tested a 2005 Toyota Prius too and I hate to say this, but the CVT feels almost identical from a slow or dead stop. Stepping on the gas in D or SD mode, the car just limps ahead. I'd hate to have to get out of a quick jam with this.

The sales guy driving with me says they all feel like that, but I'm guessing he doesn't know what he's talking about. I'm hoping the CVT does adjust eventually and give you instant power when you need it off a stop. But actually, after reading a bit in this thread, I'm feeling less confident about that.
I'm frightened to buy a CVT and after 500K if it's still crawling off a start, I'm going to regret my purchase.

Could I have just had a lemon CVT or one that has been auto-tuned improperly by all the demo driving on it?

The MCs auto trans on the other hand didn't seem to suffer from this issue. I may have to bite the bullet (the rather expensive bullet) and get a MCs.

But I want my MC CVT and I want it to work right!
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2005, 04:37 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
AprilWhine's Fuzzy One

Local Time: 03:16 AM

United States Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimem

But I want my MC CVT and I want it to work right!
The CVTs do work "Right". They are not hydraulic automatics. I strongly suggest you read all of the myriad posts about the workings of a CVT.

I have owned a MINI Cooper with CVT, and now own a MCSCa. Like them both.

As has been explained on this forum for years, the delay and "Jerk" in the CVT is the oil bath clutch engaging. Zero MPH is not a speed. The CVT varies up and down as speed changes. When the car is stopped, the clutch disengages to keep the engine from stalling.

Yes, I believe that the several of the hybrid cars have CVT transmissions, as they are very good at maintaining an economical engine speed.

If you dislike the test drive of the CVT, I would not advise you to buy one expecting the transmission to adapt to what you want it to be.

I liked mine, and would buy another one. To each his own.

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2005, 03:03 AM
Waiting (im)patiently...

Local Time: 06:16 AM

Canada Male View Nimiety's Chili Red & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile

Hi (wow, this is my first official post!) - I took my first mini for a test drive on Saturday and was very surprised. I was aprehensive prior to getting in after reading about it, but the CVT felt like butter. I didn't push it hard or take it easy, I just drove it as I would any other car, and found it to be smooth and silky. This tester had about 1,200 kms on it, so that must be the difference, but wow - what a nice ride.

I'm going back to take one for another ride (hopefully a younger baby) and try to test out the <30 km/h and 100->130 km/h handling, but I'll let you know.

Cheers!
N...

See the world! World Travel Tips

Tip Central Hotline: Security Tips
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2005, 06:40 PM
Mmmmm....MINI

Local Time: 06:16 AM

United States

Yea im convinced that the CVT jerk problem is just us getting used to the tranny and
how it works. Even when i test drove a new one it was jerking, and mine did when i
picked it up...But now after 3,600 miles, im quite used to driving the car and experience
no jerking at all.

post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2005, 11:41 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member
MINI2 Global Moderator

Local Time: 04:16 AM
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

United States Male View Sejanus's Chili Red & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile

46,000 miles and the jerkiness is still there when I drive at a bit more than a crawl, 8-9 mph. Fortunately that's not a speed we're likely to spend much time at.

post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 11:11 PM
MotorCityMadman

United States Male View Cooper76's Solid Black & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile

Yep. It's all about getting used to it and driving it like a CVT, not a regular automatic. Once you do, there are no jerks, chopiness, etc. You wouldn't complain that a manual is choppy or jerks, unlike an automatic, so why say the same thing about another different transmission, the CVT?

***BMW-AG Rocks!!!***

Portsmouth FC Can Thank Sunderland...What a Farce!!!
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2017, 06:35 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadda View Post
I have a 05 MC CVT with 1300 miles on it. Jerkiness at low speed (between 5 - 15 mph) has been a problem from day one, but it did seem to get a little better over time - perhaps that's because I've learned a few tricks to reduce the effect:
Trick #1: Step on that gas! It only jerks if you coast in the problematic speed range. Step firmly on the gas to accelerate until you are over 15 mph and you won't have any problem with jerking. It's more fun that way too
Trick #2: keep a steady foot. Chances are you won't be able to always drive above 15 if you are stuck in New york City traffic as much as I do Try to find the sweet throttle position to get the car to your desired speed, then hold your foot steady on the gas pedal. Avoid minor adjustments to the throttle (at low speeds) like you would do on an automatic - that kind of throttle movement is what seems to confuse the CVT computer and at least partially contribute to the the jerkiness.
Trick #3: Warm up before you go. It seems to jerk more when the engine's cold.
I have read many forum regarding this Mini Cooper r50 CVT jerking problem. No one can answer this question. I have a Mini Cooper r50 CVT too and having same problem. I bought a CVT gearbox from chop shop and replaced my mini cooper r50 gearbox. After that i dismantle the CVT gearbox to find out what is the problem cause. I found the auto clutches are warned. Jerking is due to clutches are warned and need to be replace. When low speed warned clutches not able to give enough strength to hold and let the gearbox turning and causing sometime engage and disengage. That is the reason causing car Mini Cooper r50 CVT jerking when driving in low speed
Milpol likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in