post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2011, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
ghv
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 07:21 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Radiator Fan Connector(s)

My wifes radiator fan has decided to pack up and I suspect the resistor in series with the fan. I am finding the Haynes manual not very helpfull with no wiring diagram for this at all!
My question is, there appears to be two connectors to the fan, a large 3 pin one which obviously carries the current and a smaller 2 pin one with much smaller contacts which I am not sure what this connects to?
I understand the possibly faulty resistor lays behind the plastic panel and is not visible, but there is also a small box mounted (with 2 bolts) near this resistor which I am not sure what it contains? It is wired into the fan wiring and looks sealed.
Any help/guidance/advice would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2011, 10:38 PM
cristo

Local Time: 02:21 PM
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

United States Male View cristo's Hot Chocolate & Silver 2nd Gen MINI John Cooper Works Clubman Profile

Garage
The standard repair is to replace the fan assembly. The one with two connnectors is the earlier one,
for models before 3/03 (part # 17101475577), as the failed resistor is not available as a separate part
from MINI. Figure about $300 USD for a MINI part or about $100 USD for an aftermarket fan.
Some have bought a similar resistor from electronic supply houses (0.33 ohm, 100W)
and spliced it into the 3 connnector harness with success, providing the fan itself is in good shape.
See this lengthy thread for details.
MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - Low Speed Fan Resistor - we need solution

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2011, 11:40 AM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 06:21 PM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

MINI WDS (Wiring Diagram System) online access is available for diy MINI owners here:
WDS BMW Wiring Diagram System - Model Selection

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Mustn't Grumble...

Local Time: 01:21 PM

Canada

Remember, if the fan resistor has failed, the high speed setting for the fan will still work; the high speed fan will still come on at a higher temperature and stop the engine overheating. What year is your car? There are two different fan wiring circuits, one for cars up to mid 2003, which had the control relay in the fan assembly, and the later one with the control relay in the fuse box.
Check your cooling fan fuse (it's F5 in the under-bonnet fuse box on my car (a 2004 Cooper), but it might have been different on the earlier MINIs). Does your car have a power steering cooling fan? (only on the Cooper S in the UK?)
Early cars shared the circuit for the PS fan and radiator fan. Any garbage sucked up by the PS fan and jamming it will cause the fuse to blow and stop the radiator fan working. This is not a problem with post 2003 cars.

Try testing the fan assembly. The plug connecting the fan wiring is on the passenger side for your car, mounted to a bracket that also supports a refrigerant connection if you have air conditioning. It's near the bonnet catch. The plug has four pins but one is unused. On my car, the three wires are a brown ground wire, a red/blue wire for the full speed circuit and a red/green wire for the low speed circuit. Disconnect the plug and test the resistance between the fan pins and the ground connection with a multimeter. If both the ground to low speed pin and the ground to high speed pin are open circuit then this is consistent with an open circuit fan motor or a break in the wiring between the resistor and the motor. If only the ground to low speed pin is open circuit, then this is consistent with a failed resistor or a break in the wiring to the resistor.
Thanks for this post from:
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2011, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
ghv
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Thanks for your helpfull replies. I suspect from what you are saying that the fan itself is defective as I dont believe it works at all (I have told the missus to put the heater on if stuck in traffic as the temp will rise full scale)
I will buzz it out in the morning to confirm what I fear! (fuses and relay ok)
Whats the small connector for? and the box near the resistor?
Thanks again
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2011, 11:39 AM
cristo

United States Male View cristo's Hot Chocolate & Silver 2nd Gen MINI John Cooper Works Clubman Profile

Garage
The small connector powers the relay that closes the connection to the high speed leg of the fan circuit.
This relay is moved to the under-hood fuse box location in later cars with the single connector to the fan.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2011, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
ghv
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Well, got the old meter out today and found the wires are coloured brown and two red with blue (connector from wiring loom) but they are all open circuit suggesting a faulty motor as the cabling looks ok - such a lot of dismantling to get it out!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2016, 08:10 PM

Hi, old thread but having the same issues you had.
I have had my metre on the feeding cable (1 brown, 2 red/blue) and one is getting 12v, the other nothing.
did changing your motor work?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2016, 10:16 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristo View Post
The small connector powers the relay that closes the connection to the high speed leg of the fan circuit.
This relay is moved to the under-hood fuse box location in later cars with the single connector to the fan.
I have the same issue and am a little confused. I have a 2003 Mini Cooper base model. My resistor went out on the fan assembly. I ordered a new one making sure to specify for the 2003 mini cooper and not a cooper s. It came but the one on the car has two connectors (one big and one small) and the new fan assembly only has one connector (just the big one). Do i need the smaller connector? Will it work as it is or should I return it and request one with two connectors? I'm not sure if I got the wrong fan assembly or if the fan assemblies now don't need the 2nd connector.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2016, 11:08 PM
cristo

Garage
Doesn't matter whether it's a Cooper or Cooper S. The change from two connector to
one connector happened about Feb-Mar 2003, and MINIs in this range could have
either one independent of what part is indicated per the VIN number.
The one you have won't work unless you re-wire it, so you should either return it
for the early two connector one, or return it and splice a resistor into the existing one
as described in post #2 above.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in