LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2012, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 12:20 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United Kingdom

United-Kingdom mini one 1.4 diesel overheating problem. 1.4d

Hi everyone, I have been looking over the forums for a while and some great advice has been posted but I still am a bit unsure as to what is going on with my diesel mini as most of what I have seem relates to petrol.

If anyone can help it would be really appreciated as I have taken this problem to a few menchanics now and they all have different and costly opinions but no 100% answer.

basically my car is overheating and the fan is cuttin in over 11 average miles. It was initially evaporating from the coolant cap so had this replaced for an official bmw cap which seemed to restore some of the pressure in the pipes. But alas it overheats and the coolant does eventually vanish but with no visable leaks in the engine bay or under the car.

I have had discussions about the heater matrix but there is no damp or flooded interior carpets also the heater does blow hot when on hot.

I have had discussions about the thermostat but according to the mechanics there is no signs that this is the case either.

its had a sniff test / block test but this didn't give an indication as far as head gasket although one mechanic said it was but this again wasn't 100% sure but still charged for his glance and said get a second opinion.

The dash sounds like there is a bottle of water sloshing around.
one thread advised to change coolant that is easier said and done and hasn't been advised by anyone i've seen.

it is losing coolant slowly but no signs of leaks and its generally being a muppet.

if anyone has any advice it would be really appreciated.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2012, 06:50 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

The sloshing sound behind the dash is normally caused by air in the heater matrix/pipes which can cause overheating, no experience personally of diesel Mini's but petrol Mini's are notorious for air in the heater system and need careful patient bleeding via valves on the engine/heater hoses.

If you have air-con this can also sometimes give sloshing sounds behind the dash as gas and liquid passes through the pipes to the heater/Aircon unit.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2014, 11:55 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Albania

Nice post. Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful!

Last edited by Apple202; Jan 3rd, 2015 at 02:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in