MINI Cooper Forum banner

2006 Auto Mini died while driving, won't restart, OBD data says...

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  mike1967 
#1 ·
Hi - I'm a new owner of a 2006 Mini (Automatic) with 87K miles. While driving on the freeway, I noticed my mini was decelerating rapidly and then it died just as I managed to pull it off to the side of the road.

At first, the engine would kick over, run for 2-3 seconds and then die, but then it stopped turning over at all. It now "sounds" like it would, if only...

All observable electrical functions are still working, the interior lights, windows, A/C and radio, but a group of dash lights came on at the time that it stalled: battery, oil, safety restraint, check engine and the gas guage displayed as empty despite having 1/2 tank the day before.

I've taken out and looked at every fuse in the cab and under the hood and everything "looks" okay there, but I'm new at this so don't know how to test these or for spark. There haven't been any previous issues with overheating that I'm aware of, and it's almost done this one before in much cooler weather when at a stop light. That said, after cooling down in the shade overnight, it still won't start up. Fluid levels are okay from what I can see.

The OBD tool returns only one error, P0070 (Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Circuit) and the following freeze frame and current data is below, but I'm at a loss to understand what I could deduce from it. Could an "Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Circuit" issue cause the engine to die? Also, since I can't turn the engine on, I don't know if that limits the tool's diagnostics.

Freeze Frame Data:
Fuel System Status Bank 1: CL, using H02S
Fuel System Status Bank 2: N/A
Calculated Load: 25.9%
Cooland Temp: 195 F
S.T. Fuel Trim B1: -2.4%
L.T Fuel Trim B1: 2.3%
Intake M.A.P.: 5 PSI
Engine Speed: 1575 RPM
Vehicle Speed: 19.3 mph
Ignition Timing: 17.0
Intake Air Temp: 120 F
Throttle Position: 15.7%

Current Live Data:
Fuel System Status Bank 1: OL, not ready CL
Fuel System Status Bank 2: N/A
Calculated Load: 0.0%
Cooland Temp: 82 F
S.T. Fuel Trim B1: -0.0%
L.T Fuel Trim B1: 0.8%
Intake M.A.P.: 14 PSI
O2S B1, S1 STF: -0.0%
02S B1, S2: 0.405v
02S B1, S2 STF: -0.0%
OBD Test System: OBD, OBDII

Thanks for reading - I'd appreciate your help and/or guidance.

See less See more
#2 ·
2006 Mini Cooper S P0070 Error Code

I have the exact same problem. Did you ever determine the solution? I've replace the ambient sensor which was giving an ambient temp reading of -140. It is now reading the correct temperature. The mini will not start however as the temp gauge goes straight to hot. Please let me know how you resolved this issue. Thanks -

#3 ·
I have the exact same problem. Did you ever determine the solution? I've replace the ambient sensor which was giving an ambient temp reading of -140. It is now reading the correct temperature. The mini will not start however as the temp gauge goes straight to hot. Please let me know how you resolved this issue. Thanks -
coolant temps sensor thinks the engine is hot, when it thinks this it cuts the fuel mixture to weak load and 02 sensors will be alive that will prevent it from starting normally, the 02 sensors are designed to work at a set temperature around 5-10 minutes after starting and driving,, so temps sensor has a switched earth to ecu and a 5volt reference wire when at 20c should see around 3,0 volts as your temp is at max it will show 0.1v maybe if it does it proves the wiring works normally unless the ecu has been damaged or a short circuit in wiring common,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.